I was told that Mel Cheek passed away...

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mel Cheek, formerly of Edmond (OKC) Oklahoma and relocated to Alaska, passed away this year. I was just told of this, that it happened this year, but I don't know the date. Mel was a good friend and a gentleman. He collected antique billiard memorabilia for 25 years or so, and his gameroom was a virtual museum of billiard history. He also restored his own tables, constantly upgrading to nicer tables until he settled on the Brunswick Arcade - he had a 9' pool table and 10' billiard table. I was told that Raymond Ceulemans played on that table and commented to Mel that it played respectably. That is a testament to Mel's workmanship. When he moved to Alaska, I helped him sell a large portion of the collection, and got a large portion of it myself. A lot of it Mel just gave to me, very generous. He studied 3-cushion, and helped start me out playing it.
Billiards Digest gave Mel "honorable mention" in their best home billiard room contest. In my mind his was far superior to the other award winners - but hey, what magazine is going to upset their advertisers by giving an award to a guy with a "used" table. Not gonna happen. But he didn't mind. He knew he had created something great. He was well liked by everyone. We will miss you, Mel Cheek. Rest in peace, my friend.
 
Mel Cheek, formerly of Edmond (OKC) Oklahoma and relocated to Alaska, passed away this year. I was just told of this, that it happened this year, but I don't know the date. Mel was a good friend and a gentleman. He collected antique billiard memorabilia for 25 years or so, and his gameroom was a virtual museum of billiard history. He also restored his own tables, constantly upgrading to nicer tables until he settled on the Brunswick Arcade - he had a 9' pool table and 10' billiard table. I was told that Raymond Ceulemans played on that table and commented to Mel that it played respectably. That is a testament to Mel's workmanship. When he moved to Alaska, I helped him sell a large portion of the collection, and got a large portion of it myself. A lot of it Mel just gave to me, very generous. He studied 3-cushion, and helped start me out playing it.
Billiards Digest gave Mel "honorable mention" in their best home billiard room contest. In my mind his was far superior to the other award winners - but hey, what magazine is going to upset their advertisers by giving an award to a guy with a "used" table. Not gonna happen. But he didn't mind. He knew he had created something great. He was well liked by everyone. We will miss you, Mel Cheek. Rest in peace, my friend.


I found this for you

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/oklahoman/obituary.aspx?n=Mel-Cheek&pid=151007386
 
Thanks

I appreciate this. I know the billiard player Rick Owens was a friend of Mel's as well. I will let him know.
 
Back
Top