In memory of Papaw

hivoltg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.........................

I've been doing some thinking lately and have come up with an idea that I'd like to bounce off the members here. Please let me know what you think of this.

Some of my most fond memories of this great sport go back to when I was a child. My Grandfather would take me to the local pool hall and we'd play pool together. Now Papaw wasn't a champion by any means, but he knew the game and played pretty well. The thing that was great, was his passion for the game. I remember him teaching me the basics, how to hold the cue, how to make a solid bridge, how to line up shots and most importantly, good sportsmanship.
Now Papaw didn't have a real fancy cue. He played with an old cue that was beat to death and kept it in an old soft case that he got from Sears, which is probably where the cue came from as well. When I was about 9 or 10 years old, he gave me that old cue and I can remember how happy I was to finally have my very own pool cue. He'd still take me to the pool hall and we'd shoot pool together, but I had something that was mine and it meant a lot to me.
Well, I now find myself in a position to do something good for someone else. I have a graphite cue and an old, beat up, soft case that I'm never going to use. The cue is not new, but it is straight and has a good tip on it. I'd like to give it to a young person who has never owned a cue. I was thinking that someone here probably knows of the perfect candidate for this gift, and I want to hear about them.

The way this will work, is as follows:
Feel free to tell me a story about a young person in your life that you think deserves this cue and would be proud to have it. This could be your son, daughter, niece, nephew, grandchild, or just some youngster at your local pool hall. Sunday night, Oct. 4th, at midnight, I'll choose from the people that have chosen to throw their names in the hat and will ship the cue to the winner.

There are a few rules and guidelines that must be followed
-The young person must have never owned their own cue
-You must tell me an entertaining story about this person
-If you win, you must post a picture of the winner shooting or posing with their new cue


So, what do you guys think of this idea? I thought it might help bring another pool player into the game and maybe it will create a stronger bond between a young person and the pool player that they look up to.
If anyone is interested in this, post your story here and if interest is shown, I'll post a pic of what will be given away.

Volt
 
Last edited:
Back
Top