Indexing Simonis or other Worsted Cloth...

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I am wondering how much other mechanics back off the stretch index. The Simonis installation DVDS suggest 3/4 inch?? I have had some customers that purchased their own cloth and I have had to install "post-flood" 860, HR and 760. MY index for 860 & HR used to be 2 1/8" for 860 and 2" for HR> Lately, my index for 860 & HR( which is usually a bit different like I mentioned) has been 1 1/2" for 7 foot tables and I dont back off that number at all, as in I stretch it at 1 1/2". No shadows and still getting an even stretch that can't be "moved". If I let off as much as the DVD suggests, there is no doubt about it being loose. 100% I would not be happy with it. I did an install on a 9ft GC the other day with 760 and index was 2 1/2" and it came out excellent, but, just strange that it was so much.

What do others have to say about this?

TFT

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting closer to playing on it!

We took a lot of time getting the seams correct. Super glued them and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Had to touch a spot of one of the seems up a little, but they are now as perfect as they can be.

Installed the 860 HR today. The 2 inch index worked excellent! Praying to God we never have to re stretch it!

Cue ball rolls dead straight long rail on both sides. And dead straight on the diagonals. Damn proud of our work so far.

20220723_123523.jpg
20220807_144130.jpg
20220807_151859.jpg

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting closer to playing on it!

We took a lot of time getting the seems correct. Super glued them and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Had to touch a spot of one of the seems up a little, but they are now as perfect as they can be.

Installed the 860 HR today. The 2 inch index worked excellent! Praying to God we never have to re stretch it!

Cue ball rolls dead straight long rail on both sides. And dead straight on the diagonals. Damn proud of our work so far.

View attachment 654889View attachment 654891View attachment 654892
Looks good! No French Fold at the pocket openings?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I only mark the ends when I do the Adhesive Edge Bond Installation, have to make sure the adhesive on the edge of the slate lines up exactly where my adhesive is on the back of the cloth. I have my own method with the adhesive install. Some guys worry about "using to much adhesive" and I do not. I make sure it sticks and STAYS. I have a method of marking the front and back of the cloth so I can be very precise and concentrate the adhesive on the 3/4" side of slate and 3/4" on the back of the cloth, as you know the Valleys have the 3/4" slate. This 860's index was 1 1/2" and I stretched it side to side that much and both ends got 1 1/2". SUPER TIGHT and even stretch, no shadows and plays great. You will see when you come up next weekend!

TFT

6f2ff8dd341559a2ea573ab1a925b0a70a6983fa-2.jpg

57e3b11e28b596d95e990f13871eb0f5c17a0bbe-1.jpg

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad we bought our cloth a few months ago. Simonis for a 9 foot is now $390.00! Good Lord! $330 was bad enough.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
$311 on Seyberts and free shipping. 24 oz. Worsted Cloth/ Very fast! Install is definitely different, but, if the installer knows what they are doing it comes out awesome.

Champ Blue is very nice color of blue!! No boat or airplanes involved in getting it here from "over the pond".

Simonis flood problems are not my problems. Their product has changed....

TFT

tour-edition-logo__91337.1528470557.500.750.jpg
:)

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
What are you using for adhesive? Our championship has been on for 3-4 weeks and for the 3rd time a few spots have came loose so we're just going to do it ourselves this time
Sorry to hear you are having issues. These are GC3's I am workin on at Miscue South here in Toledo and they have the wood slate backers, so staples are in use. I only use adhesive on Diamonds and Valleys. I prefer staples over adhesives, at least until they make a non-toxic/ solvent-less adhesive.

I do like the outcome with adhesive and I am quite good at installing worsted cloth with it, but, I like my health. When I work on Diamonds I used RKC250 for beds, staples for rails and Valleys RKC250 for beds and 3m-77 Spray for the rails. Examples of adhesive work below.

TFT

daf2218c85c8f6b06b361b10aed93fd4d42ed60e-2.jpg
daf2218c85c8f6b06b361b10aed93fd4d42ed60e-1.jpg
ed9de5b93cbe9e5bd6cbec43ede755694ad8bde3-3.jpg

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you using for adhesive? Our championship has been on for 3-4 weeks and for the 3rd time a few spots have came loose so we're just going to do it ourselves this time
My brother and I use Weldwood contact cement and apply it with a roller on the bed (edges and a little underside), and a brush on the rails. Holds much better then the spray adhesive. Very limited amount of staples in rails when using it. Never had it come loose yet.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
My brother and I use Weldwood contact cement and apply it with a roller on the bed, and a brush on the rails. Holds much better then the spray adhesive. We use it for both the bed and the rails. Very limited amount of staples in rails when using it. Never had it come loose yet.
I have no issues with railcloths coming loose on Valleys using 3m-77 :) I would never use it on a bedcloth!
I have also used Weldwood in a pinch and it holds, it just takes way longer to cure than RKC250, Parabond M250 or Fasbond N-10.
I know you are also "casually" doing the Valleys you service, so time is not so much of an issue.
I do 4 Valley tables at a time, stuff has to cure quick :)

TFT