Insurance for my Cues

Rack’em

I own a few dozen custom cues, and I wanted to get them insured through my insurance carrier. My insurance company said that I would either need a receipt or get them appraised. I have receipts for a few, but most of them were just purchased for cash from other pool players over the years. Also some of the cue makers are deceased so I can't go to the original cue maker for an appraisal, and others like my Southwest's have a market value worth more than what the invoice price is. So I would rather use an appraisal instead of the receipts for those cues. My question is are there professional cue appraisers who can provide me a written valuation for my cues that I can present to my insurance carrier? I would appreciate any names of people or websites that provide this service. Thanks

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I own a few dozen custom cues, and I wanted to get them insured through my insurance carrier. My insurance company said that I would either need a receipt or get them appraised. I have receipts for a few, but most of them were just purchased for cash from other pool players over the years. Also some of the cue makers are deceased so I can't go to the original cue maker for an appraisal, and others like my Southwest's have a market value worth more than what the invoice price is. So I would rather use an appraisal instead of the receipts for those cues. My question is are there professional cue appraisers who can provide me a written valuation for my cues that I can present to my insurance carrier? I would appreciate any names of people or websites that provide this service. Thanks

Ask your insurance company if they have a recommended appraiser. Lots of guys will offer their services to you for a fee, but it's worthless if the insurance company doesn't recognize them as valid and refuses to pay a claim.

Best bet is a letter noting replacement value from the builder.

PM with any questions, I've successfully claimed on several lost cues in the mail and can help you get your information in order

Last edited:

Rack’em

Ask your insurance company if they have a recommended appraiser. Lots of guys will offer their services to you for a fee, but it's worthless if the insurance company doesn't recognize them as valid and refuses to pay a claim.

PM with any questions, I've successfully claimed on several lost cues in the mail and can help you get your information in order
Thanks Ideologist. I’ll certainly PM you if I have any questions.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I negotiated the value of my cues and had very little trouble in doing it. What you are looking for is an Inland Marine rider to your homeowner's policy. This should be an all risk policy with no geographical restrictions -- in other words: all risks/all over the world. If you have problems, I would suggest an independent agent who has the ability to write for a variety of companies. My opinion, based on experience, is that Nationwide, et al., is not who you want to be dealing with. However, there should be at least one insurance cat on AZB who can give you chapter and verse.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill Grassley @ Cornerstone Cues.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a rider and the maximum value limit is $5k per pool cue with a limitation of $50k.
The reason for the appraisal is my cues may have appreciated and current replacement
value is required. For example, my Runde Schon cost $800+ back in 1985. It is worth more
than that today and I no longer have the original invoice. My Scruggs cue is worth more than
what I paid if only because of Tim’s passing, plus I was able to acquire it at a really good price.

My point is insurance requires a qualified person to assign the current market value to your
cue unless you have the original sales receipt, if there was one. But that does not reflect any
possible gain you might otherwise enjoy if you sold it. Having a qualified 3rd party attest to the
value of your cues is always the best documentation for obtaining the required insurance.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few dozen custom cues- true customs worth a total of $75,000 + what is your biggest concern about loss- fire or theft? I prefer having a true monitored home alarm system that is always in use; coupled with a gun safe bolted to an inside closet wall, and I NEVER leave a cue unattended outside my home in a billiard setting.
No home thief is going to stand there trying to break into a safe as a home alarm is activated, if they even find your safe, they have , at most 10 minutes prior to police arrival, unless the police have been defunded, use your vote for that issue.

Never leaving a cue unattended in public - that includes being locked in a car trunk, put of site if you need to stop along the way to a billiard establishment and taken into a hotel room with you on possible overnight trips with some cues.

Never checking valued cues on airline trips- if you must transport one- shipping it ahead via fed ex.

I think that all the basics of individual property protection outweigh insurance issues for personal possessions, up to a certain dollar limit, of course, we are not talking the Mona Lisa painting here.

Worried about carrying cues to and from you car at night- depends on the state where you live- I carry here in Florida - the state has your back on that one!

middleofnowhere

Registered
A few dozen custom cues- true customs worth a total of $75,000 + what is your biggest concern about loss- fire or theft? I prefer having a true monitored home alarm system that is always in use; coupled with a gun safe bolted to an inside closet wall, and I NEVER leave a cue unattended outside my home in a billiard setting.
No home thief is going to stand there trying to break into a safe as a home alarm is activated, if they even find your safe, they have , at most 10 minutes prior to police arrival, unless the police have been defunded, use your vote for that issue.

Never leaving a cue unattended in public - that includes being locked in a car trunk, put of site if you need to stop along the way to a billiard establishment and taken into a hotel room with you on possible overnight trips with some cues.

Never checking valued cues on airline trips- if you must transport one- shipping it ahead via fed ex.

I think that all the basics of individual property protection outweigh insurance issues for personal possessions, up to a certain dollar limit, of course, we are not talking the Mona Lisa painting here.

Worried about carrying cues to and from you car at night- depends on the state where you live- I carry here in Florida - the state has your back on that one!
You are writing too much personal information on a public forum. In this day and age it is easy to figure out who and where you are.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This here.
If your insurance company cannot provide you with an appraiser
that they will accept then you need a new insurance company.
Find an insurance company that can service you.
Lloyds will insure anything.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to also recall that you don't want to use wording like: one of a kind.

Custom or hand made is OK.

Lou Figueroa

middleofnowhere

Registered
It would seem you would have to provide some kind of examples of sales, such as public auctions or market to prove the value.

Most things are regarded as going down in value as they age. There is replacement value but appreciating can be subjective with out proof such as past sales.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are writing too much personal information on a public forum. In this day and age it is easy to figure out who and where you are.
Come and Get it then! Thanks for being so concerned for my safety- My point is that I do not rely on anyone but myself to protect my property, and I use every common sense, legal approach to do just that!
Are you implying that someone will come to my house, force me to open my safe and give up my pool cues? That would be a very, very, big risk for a reward not nearly worth the firepower they would be met with here at my home.
I am an honest, law abiding citizen who has worked for every bit of his property, and I hope to never have to defend it in a physical way- but I have no fear, would have no remorse, and if some jackass on the internet wants to come to my home to test Florida law- the welcome mat is right at my front door, and the response is on the other side of that front door.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am not sure i would want to use the appraiser of an insurance company.
there are several established cue businesses that publicize they will appraise cue collections
thats who i would use

middleofnowhere

Registered
Come and Get it then! Thanks for being so concerned for my safety- My point is that I do not rely on anyone but myself to protect my property, and I use every common sense, legal approach to do just that!
Are you implying that someone will come to my house, force me to open my safe and give up my pool cues? That would be a very, very, big risk for a reward not nearly worth the firepower they would be met with here at my home.
I am an honest, law abiding citizen who has worked for every bit of his property, and I hope to never have to defend it in a physical way- but I have no fear, would have no remorse, and if some jackass on the internet wants to come to my home to test Florida law- the welcome mat is right at my front door, and the response is on the other side of that front door.
I'm just stating the obvious, do as you wish.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
When i was looking into this, i spoke to my insurance rep and asked them if a registered business owner in the area who could replace the cues provide the value. They were happy with that solution. Documented with pictures and a description and business owner sign off on the values. It was a simple solution.

Your rep should tell you what is acceptable.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just stating the obvious, do as you wish.
I usually see the obvious, thank you, and then I make a choice as to how to react. What is your reason to state anything, if it is so obvious? You certainly did not enlighten me with your original comment- so I just don't know what was your motivation in doing so - just had to say something today?

The OP was inquiring about insurance for cues. many of us here do not insure our custom cues, we choose to take personal responsibility for their safety in a legal manner both at home and away. It is an option that some who do not do so presently may consider when the possibilities are brought to light.

I do not think that the folks who do wish to defend and protect their property themselves to prevent a loss instead of relying on insurance AFTER they sustain a loss are fearful at all of some idiot targeting them, many folks reveal that they own multiple custom cues and we could probably track down many of them - the thieves are going to go after the most vulnerable, not the folks most prepared to protect their property.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I usually see the obvious, thank you, and then I make a choice as to how to react. What is your reason to state anything, if it is so obvious? You certainly did not enlighten me with your original comment- so I just don't know what was your motivation in doing so - just had to say something today?

The OP was inquiring about insurance for cues. many of us here do not insure our custom cues, we choose to take personal responsibility for their safety in a legal manner both at home and away. It is an option that some who do not do so presently may consider when the possibilities are brought to light.

I do not think that the folks who do wish to defend and protect their property themselves to prevent a loss instead of relying on insurance AFTER they sustain a loss are fearful at all of some idiot targeting them, many folks reveal that they own multiple custom cues and we could probably track down many of them - the thieves are going to go after the most vulnerable, not the folks most prepared to protect their property.
Lot of words to say nothing.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I have written appraisals that have been accepted by the postal company and insurance companies. But it is probably hit or miss. Keep your receipts is your best bet.

Joe