Interesting interview with WPA

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I thought I would post this recent interview (from Molina Mike) with the WPA about the various topics we all complain about here:

Of note to my complaints, is that the WPA was 100% against banning Russian players but was forced to follow the WCBS, who made the decision without any discussion with the pool world. Apparently the WCBS was worried they would be kicked out of the World Games / IOC, but of course that didn't happen to any other sport (pool is the only IOC sport with a total ban on Russian players in professional events).

The interview also mentions that the WPA might move away from maintaining an official calendar because it can longer prevent conflicts.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hats off to Cue It Up and Doggin' It podcasts. The insight they bring to the pool fans by having guests like Emily Frazer, Karim Belhaj and Ishaun Singh is spectacular. It's great to see they all have the same intentions, growth of the sport, but for different reasons. I have confidence that pool is headed in the right direction. Many thanks to Joey Ryan and Neight Mindham, along with their usual cast of characters, for keeping us pool fans in the know.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
There is a card game, called SNAP!

WCBS board

WPA board

>

Rumours are flying around about a change at the top of the tree.
Maybe, a new perspective will also change how these groups are run.

Yes, I don't get a vote but Singh (in the interview) seems like a good guy. I didn't realize they are all volunteers (no salary) and most of the WPA budget goes to drug testing. Those limited resources explain many of the issues.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
for a good reason though: more promoters with good payouts on the horizon. does anyone know who they could be?
True but you can’t have the Wild West either. It’s what’s been the issue for 20 years and continues to plague the industry.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Luge reversed the ban. Is this precedence enough for billiards?

A Russian ban in luge was reversed in what may be a significant ruling for Russian athletes across Olympic sports who were barred after the invasion of Ukraine.

No reasoning for the decision was given, but the Russian Olympic Committee hopes it will set a precedent for appeals in other sports. There are several pending cases with the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Last week’s luge decision came from the International Luge Federation (FIL) arbitration court, which works independently of the FIL.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
True but you can’t have the Wild West either. It’s what’s been the issue for 20 years and continues to plague the industry.

It seems like the WPA will identify certain major events over which it will try to provide exclusive scheduling but otherwise let the market and players decide which events are important.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The interview also mentions that the WPA might move away from maintaining an official calendar because it can longer prevent conflicts.
I thought he was suggesting they might consider offering date protection continentally. I didn’t get the impression they would do away with it entirely.