Interesting question for carbon fiber shafts

fishblade2

Registered
A while back I saw the same long thread on this forum regarding a user who broke his predator shaft and showed what was in it. My question is regarding the foam. Has anyone, including the companies themselves, provided any input if this foam will deteriorate over time?

I am by no means stating it would, but all foam materials I am familiar with do eventually shrink in size, deteriorate to some degree inside the cue? I mean no one can know long term use for sure currently as these shafts are newer, but it was a thought I had and figured maybe others might be able to add some insight, or just their opinions :).

SeniorTom

I'm not sure enough to answer your question, but I know they use foam in golf club shafts for similar purposes. It reduces the vibration felt in the shaft. If I am not mistaken, I think it is inserted tightly in the center and most likely will not come loose.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure enough to answer your question, but I know they use foam in golf club shafts for similar purposes. It reduces the vibration felt in the shaft. If I am not mistaken, I think it is inserted tightly in the center and most likely will not come loose.
Not that i'm aware of. The last few that i've seen pulled from driver heads were hollow end-to-end. I used to build clubs and all graph. shafts i used were the same way. As for pool shafts only time will tell. Haven't heard of issues so far with the foam cores.

Jack Fate

A while back I saw the same long thread on this forum regarding a user who broke his predator shaft and showed what was in it. My question is regarding the foam. Has anyone, including the companies themselves, provided any input if this foam will deteriorate over time?

I am by no means stating it would, but all foam materials I am familiar with do eventually shrink in size, deteriorate to some degree inside the cue? I mean no one can know long term use for sure currently as these shafts are newer, but it was a thought I had and figured maybe others might be able to add some insight, or just their opinions :).
Actually a good question, but only for older people that value longevity in a product

Still playing with 20-30 year old equipment

SeniorTom

Not that i'm aware of. The last few that i've seen pulled from driver heads were hollow end-to-end. I used to build clubs and all graph. shafts i used were the same way. As for pool shafts only time will tell. Haven't heard of issues so far with the foam cores.
I guess one way to answer your question maybe this, carbon fiber shafts have been out for quite some time now and I haven't heard anybody complain of a noticeable difference in their shaft because foam had come loose. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen just because I haven't heard of it, and I am interested in hearing other responses.

fishblade2

Registered
I value everyone's input so far. Although not at the point of older at the ripe age of 31, but I am analytical. I like my carbon fiber cue shaft and I am not one to change. I had the same wood cue for around 7 years when I changed for carbon fiber only for the value of it not warping and longevity. I began looking more into how they are made and wondered this about the foam. It would be just like companies to focus on the outside carbon as having long life but the internal have a short life span. Once again that's just theorizing, but it does make a great marketing scheme to have more future purchases.

I am more of that rare breed who loves their equipment and wants to keep it as long as possible, to perform better and better due to not changing and practicing, so it's vital to me that the shaft I go accustom to actually can last. I too am interested in any additional comments. I wish there could be a definite answer, but as to how and what the foam are company secrets, who really knows if it's made to last, it may just be for short term performance.

SeniorTom

I am the type who likes to try something new. And if a cue stick came out that was revolutionary, or more preferred than even carbon fiber, I would probably want to try it. As far as carbon fiber and how it lasts, I wouldn't concern myself too much with that aspect as that is one of their characteristics, being durable.

PracticeChampion

It's filled tight for the most part end to end and the foam is essentially one piece at that point so even if it did shrink I couldn't imagine a 29" piece of foam sliding around in there

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the foam filling a piece of foam that is inserted into the hollow tube, or is it a more of a liquid introduced into the tube which them "foams" and fills that void in doing so? I would lean towards the latter if I was making a cue, but really don't know what process is used. Seems to me that inserting a piece of something with very little rigidity would be problematic, while the foaming solution would result in a much more consistent fill when done. We redid a friend's boat and used that foaming liquid to add floatation and fill the voids between the hull and the deck, and that stuff expands like crazy.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tennis also has foam in some models, or had. Don't remember if there are any newer designs with foam now, was probably just a fad thing they did to sell stuff as an experiment.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am the type who likes to try something new. And if a cue stick came out that was revolutionary, or more preferred than even carbon fiber, I would probably want to try it. As far as carbon fiber and how it lasts, I wouldn't concern myself too much with that aspect as that is one of their characteristics, being durable.

Aha! I found a new Tom, SeniorTom

PracticeChampion

Is the foam filling a piece of foam that is inserted into the hollow tube, or is it a more of a liquid introduced into the tube which them "foams" and fills that void in doing so? I would lean towards the latter if I was making a cue, but really don't know what process is used. Seems to me that inserting a piece of something with very little rigidity would be problematic, while the foaming solution would result in a much more consistent fill when done. We redid a friend's boat and used that foaming liquid to add floatation and fill the voids between the hull and the deck, and that stuff expands like crazy.
Liquid

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tennis also has foam in some models, or had. Don't remember if there are any newer designs with foam now, was probably just a fad thing they did to sell stuff as an experiment.
Tennis rackets use foam to get the proper weight and for vibration control.

Das Cue-Boot

Tennis rackets use foam to get the proper weight and for vibration control.
You can get the weight distribution without foam, but many of the top brands are foam filled since it absorbs some of the high frequency vibrations. They do a pretty good job of helping with tennis elbow.

We unfortunately associate foam with things like whipped cream and beer, and neglect that there are lots of clever ways to introduce air, or often a more inert gas such as nitrogen or carbon dioxide, into a more permanent matrix. We used to use structural foams in navy shipbuilding for various reasons. Some of those had specific gravities of 0.8, so weren’t that different than free flood areas, as opposed to the much lighter foams we often see in consumer products.