Is it REALLY winning if you win with a big handicap?

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are the type of player that handicap was made for. It's nice getting the win but you don't like taking all that weight and you question it when you win that way. That in turn will make you want to improve and get better so you don't have people giving you as much while still keeping things competitive. Use it as a measuring stick and keep getting better. It's much more refreshing when there are people like you that even question it rather then trying to maintain a low score to get those big caps. It sounds to me that both you and the guy you were shooting are stand up guys. Nice win sir.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The imperfections and indelicacies of the handicapping system aside, this is definitely a win.

To win in a handicapped match, you must play well relative to your own average game, and if you do, you usually win. Repeated wins with a handicap evidence progress, and that's the feedback you need.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep

I like handicap tournaments because it's the only way I was able to win a match against a pro player.........Mr. Grady Seasons himself........and that was the ONLY time....

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes,yes it is. By accepting the league terms and assigned handicaps, you both are agreeing to play that way. Remember, he's being handicapped for being a superior player, but he should still win most of the timer against a lower skill level. When you beat a higher skill level, it means you played well to your level, and won, even though he should have beaten you statistically. Keep it up, and you'll move up in skill level. Take the win, and use it as a new benchmark.

I hope this comes out how I mean it too. I have a feeling there will be some editing or clarifying in my future.

tony frank

THE TRAPPER
Silver Member
Hmmm Breeding mediocracy ! Handicapping for pool is absolutely ridiculous. As it is with our NWO dummy down schools to satisfy imbeciles pretending to be intelligent and destroying the real accomplishments of hard working real individuals. All players should play with their equals of skill levels - as everyone improves or not they can move on up continuously, or dump out to something they can do, until they reach KING of the hill. If this is not their goal - it must be a very small ego and mind who would even consider a handicap spot and be proud of winning anything. DUHHHHH YO the leagues and their rip of pool table sponsers have no interest in the players - just dummy down so day will feel good - AND of course feed the coin slots with glee. PAY YOUR DUES and learn and accomplish or play tiddlywinks with a blind man.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm Breeding mediocracy ! Handicapping for pool is absolutely ridiculous. As it is with our NWO dummy down schools to satisfy imbeciles pretending to be intelligent and destroying the real accomplishments of hard working real individuals. All players should play with their equals of skill levels - as everyone improves or not they can move on up continuously, or dump out to something they can do, until they reach KING of the hill. If this is not their goal - it must be a very small ego and mind who would even consider a handicap spot and be proud of winning anything. DUHHHHH YO the leagues and their rip of pool table sponsers have no interest in the players - just dummy down so day will feel good - AND of course feed the coin slots with glee. PAY YOUR DUES and learn and accomplish or play tiddlywinks with a blind man.

I personally don't like handicaps but have you ever heard of a B players or C players only tournament? I'm sure they exist but then you run into the problem of people stalling their true speeds to win. That's why open tournaments are open with no handicap right? Gambling is a whole other issue with one side trying to steal and what not.

If the game is agreed upon whether it be a handicapped tournament or money match, a win is a win. Nice job op.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Hancicapped bowling.

I understand how the op feels. Winning with a handicap does not
really feel like winning but it is a win. Like others have posted here
if I played well I'm happy, win or lose. Maybe the op would be happier
concerning himself with how he played and less about winning or
losing with or without a handicap.

A handicap levels the win/lose field. The playing field
is never perfectly level!

Joe

In 1960, at age 17, I bowled in a handicapped bowling event that split $600 between the top four finishers. The handicap was based on the previous season's average, which for me was 154, though at the time my ave. was 166.

Sadly, though I gave $60 to my mother, I spent the rest on beer.

I did feel just a little guilty, as I was improving quickly. The next season I averaged 191 and the next 2003. But I played by the rules...

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Back when I shot APA 9ball I watched an SL3 win a match against an SL9. The 3 only needs to make 25 balls. The 9 needs to make 75. The final score was 25 - 68. The three told everyone in the area for the next few days how he best so and so...

When he told me I told him, "You won, but technically there was no 'beat' involved. He still made almost three times as many balls as you"...

He still went on the others bragging about how he "beat" a 9.

tl;dr, It's winning, but not beating.

Reason number 168 to quit APA.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope ... Not to me. That's why I never asked for spots even 25 years a go when I first started playing. It didn't tell me if I was getting better and I felt it didn't help me get better