Is there a 4 jaw chuck (independent) for taig type cue lathes?

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a four jaw chuck for a reasonable price and each jaw is independent. Only, the hole isn't large enough to handle more than tips/ferrules. Is there one out there I can use on my deluxe lathe by HIGHTOWER or whom ever . The accuracy of a four jaw is really great no matter which type of lathe metal lathe or cue lathe. Can this chuck be modified to handle a joint?
thanks Bill

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a pic or any info on it.?
I mod a standard Taig 4 jaw chuck and put the 1-9/16 x 32 tpi thread into the back of the chuck. It goes in for .420 inch deep. The inner bore I made to 1 inch.
The inner can go bigger, but limits the min diameter the chuck can close to and keep the jaws well guided.
I also made a spacer to make up the difference from the depth of thread as to what the std 3jaw chucks are threaded to.
I have not yet needed the 4 jaw to go bigger than the 1 inch bore, but if I do, I will just get another chuck and mod it back to the one I have now.
Neil

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a 4-jaw independent chuck that got from Taig, if memory serves me correctly, and bored it out to a little over 1.4".

DSC_0001-41.jpg

DSC_0003-25.jpg

DSC_0001-42.jpg

I have a lip on the back so that it can be secured in my regular chuck. Works great.

Dick

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Bill, they are around but I don't see them often. There was one on Ebay about 6 months ago. Try asking Chris, Bassel, or Anthony (tag on AZ).

FYI, I thought about buying that one on Ebay but figured it was probably more trouble than it was worth since I can shim something pretty quick. Something to consider. 4 jaw indep. chucks are great for getting stuff dead center but can be a pain as well. If you are running an operation on multiple parts, you get it centered, mark 2 jaws and only move those two when putting parts in and out. The problem comes in when the diameters are different, the wider the range in diameters the greatly they will be off-center. Then if you doing multiple sized stuff like say drilling/boring a few ferrules, then cutting a tenon, then whatever.... you have to recenter those chuck jaws each time. The 4 jaw is a great tool just know it can be a pain as well.

Last edited:

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
four jaw

Bill, they are around but I don't see them often. There was one on Ebay about 6 months ago. Try asking Chris, Bassel, or Anthony (tag on AZ).

FYI, I thought about buying that one on Ebay but figured it was probably more trouble than it was worth since I can shim something pretty quick. Something to consider. 4 jaw indep. chucks are great for getting stuff dead center but can be a pain as well. If you are running an operation on multiple parts, you get it centered, mark 2 jaws and only move those two when putting parts in and out. The problem comes in when the diameters are different, the wider the range in diameters the greatly they will be off-center. Then if you doing multiple sized stuff like say drilling/boring a few ferrules, then cutting a tenon, then whatever.... you have to recenter those chuck jaws each time. The 4 jaw is a great tool just know it can be a pain as well.

I saw a dvd or utube about centering four jaw chucks, this guy made it look quick and easy,,,I"m going to try and find it again once I get the chuck.
thanks

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a dvd or utube about centering four jaw chucks, this guy made it look quick and easy,,,I"m going to try and find it again once I get the chuck.
thanks

Using two chuck keys is the answer to dialling in things a lot quicker on 4 jaw chucks.
Have the DTI on the side and then you can adjust forward and from the rear simultaneously.
Sometimes with 4 jaw chucks having 2 dti will also hasten the process.
Lots of variables on set ups of course.
Neil

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you get used to it, dialing in a 4 jaw chuck is quite easy. As mentioned, using two keys at once is the trick.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a 4-jaw independent chuck that got from Taig, if memory serves me correctly, and bored it out to a little over 1.4".

DSC_0001-41.jpg

DSC_0003-25.jpg

DSC_0001-42.jpg

I have a lip on the back so that it can be secured in my regular chuck. Works great.

Dick

Where did you get this?

nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a four jaw chuck for a reasonable price and each jaw is independent. Only, the hole isn't large enough to handle more than tips/ferrules. Is there one out there I can use on my deluxe lathe by HIGHTOWER or whom ever . The accuracy of a four jaw is really great no matter which type of lathe metal lathe or cue lathe. Can this chuck be modified to handle a joint?
thanks Bill

littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1175
they have a independent 4 jaw chuck

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just thought I would update with a picture of a 4 jaw bored to 1.3 inches( 33.02mm) with the 1-9/16-32 tpi thread.

Attachments

• P1030688.jpg
    P1030688.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,228
  • P1030689.jpg
    P1030689.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,364