Is there a tip manufactured like this?

irspow

I wanted to buy some tips for some experimentation. Are there any manufactured tips that are noticeably taller/thicker than their radius? I know it is silly but I wanted to try making very small radius tips and everything I’ve seen available wouldn’t really be thick enough.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Layered or single? Triangles are taller than most if not all layered tips. Also if you take a new 14mm tip and cut it to a lower diameter, the proportion of height to diameter would change lot. I can't imagine a scenario where you would need a taller tip than what's available.

irspow

Layered or single? Triangles are taller than most if not all layered tips. Also if you take a new 14mm tip and cut it to a lower diameter, the proportion of height to diameter would change lot. I can't imagine a scenario where you would need a taller tip than what's available.
I wanted small radius tips. Going from a dime down all the way until the tip radius was the same as the shaft radius. Essentially the smallest tip radius would be a hemisphere. That would require a thickness more than the radius, ideally maybe the diameter and thickness being equal. (So I wouldn’t be shaping all the way down to the ferrule.)

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your logic is flawed. The maximum contact between the tip and the ball is 60° of arc. Less than that you would have less than ideal contact and more chances of miscuing. More than that doesn't offer any added benefits. The nickel (for thicker shafts) and dime (for thinner shafts) approximate those 60° of arc. If you wanted exactly 60°, you can do some simple math to find the exact radius for your specific shaft diameter. You don't require any special tip for that.

In your scenario above you would have significantly less than 60° degrees of arc, increasing unintended spin and miscuing on off center hits without any benefits.

Last edited:

irspow

That 60 degree arc is based upon the accepted idea that contact at a quarter cue ball will be used for maximum spin. However, theoretically the limit is .6 radius offset from center. Then the range becomes not 60 degree range for the tip but near 78 degree range. Spin is not even what I was going to attempt to confirm.

The actual contact point on the cue ball when aiming is different from the aim point intended.

C=(RA)/(R+r). C=contact point, R=radius of cueball, A=aim point distance from center of cue ball, r=radius of tip curbature.

The smaller r is, the closer the contact point will be to the aim point. However r can never be less than the radius of the shaft.

Either way, it is all just for fun. I probably will have to stack tips just to experiment.