J Flowers Aspirant Series Cue -- any thoughts?

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have been thinking of upgrading to a carbon shaft and browsing through the litany of options. Saw this entire cure with a carbon shaft for $300 which is about $100 less that I have seen any carbon shaft alone. Does anyone have any experience with this cue/shaft?

terpdad

Registered
There are some reviews on Youtube, but IDK anyone who's played w/ one. I don't care for the designs, but that's subjective. I know it D/N help, but for a few years at Black Friday Seybert's would sell a fairly generic butt (maybe they were called 1810?) + Cynergy or Revo for the price of the shaft or an extra $25 or $50. That deal has dried up, though.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few teammates that have the j flowers (konallen) $300 cues and they all play fine. The only problem I have with them is the tip they come with is junk (my opinion) its super hard and doesn't hold chalk well.

The CF shaft plays a little softer than most of the other CF shafts I have tried, but thats not a bad thing, just different. deflection seems to be on par with Cynergy and Jacoby black. Maybe just a smidge more than a revo.

For someone just starting out these are a great value that will get them on the right foot.

mrpiper

Registered
Bump?
I first looked at their site just because I wanted to see what this cue was that Efren was talking about :)
It's a nice looking cue and I do not own a CF shaft / cue. On their site, the next level up for $588 is a VERY beautiful abalone inlay cue with the same CF shaft. It looks really awesome but I would REALLY appreciate some insight fro someone who has seen one in person and even more from someone who has played with one. Is this a great place to start for a CF? Is the upgraded model as nice as it looks?
Thanks for any actual experience you may share.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should be able to help will have one to hit in the next few days. My buddy bought one and it should be here soon. He's going to bring it over to my place for us to try out I will post my opion on finish and playability as soon as we get it!

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it came in the mail today! So first thoughts shaft fits really well to the cue snug but not too tight.
Finish is good looks like if Players made a copy of a Mezz. It’s an overlay cue but really well done. The wrap is as good as any I’ve seen on high end cues. Hits great almost makes me wonder why i spend so much on custom cues. Real talk I might just have to order one for my self to put in my work truck for those unexpected moments when a game pops up out of nowhere. So I’d say 9 out of 10 on the bang for buck scale. But not clearing any space out of my player case for one, I HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING THAT HITS LIKE MY MERLIN CUSTOM CUES!

Hoogaar

Registered
Last year I was planning on either getting a brand new cue or upgrading my Tiger with a refinish, stack leather wrap and a CF shaft. Well, for a few hundred less than upgrading my old Tiger and a couple thousand less than a new custom cue, I just got myself on of these Aspirant cues plus the J Flowers break cue.

The break cue is the best hitting break cue I've tried. Better than the BK Rush IMO.

The Aspirant - I figured I'd try just to see if I would like the CF shaft. Figured worst case I would have a decent house cue. Well I haven't touched my Tiger since. I hated the tip at first as I was used to a Kamui SS (I think it's a Moori M but not sure), but after a week or so it was great.

I struggled with the "overlays" vs inlays as I've always had fairly high end production cues, but then I asked myself "why do I care?". I like a good looking cue, which to me this is - the fact they are stickers rather than inlays? My wallet thanks me for no longer really giving a crap about that.

Honestly, for $300, you can't go wrong. Here are a couple of pics of the player and the break cue (wrap on the break cue is embossed leather, not vinyl). They come with joint protectors, and when I got them last summer each cue came in these old school "briefcase" style wooden cases (though I think they have since stopped shipping them in those).

Attachments

• Aspirant.jpg
    Aspirant.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 438
  • Aspirant1.jpg
    Aspirant1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 448
  • Aspirant2.jpg
    Aspirant2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Aspirant3.jpg
    Aspirant3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 505
  • Break.jpg
    Break.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 519
  • Break1.jpg
    Break1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 475
  • JF Cues.jpg
    JF Cues.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 439
  • JFCase.jpg
    JFCase.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 429
  • JointProtectors.jpg
    JointProtectors.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 446

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I have the break cue shown in your photos and their Carbon jump. Very hard, if not impossible, to beat for the $$$. The Carbon jump performs extremely well. The JF outperforms the Air2 in my experience, which also jumps well.

Hoogaar

Registered
I have the break cue shown in your photos and their Carbon jump. Very hard, if not impossible, to beat for the $$$. The Carbon jump performs extremely well. The JF outperforms the Air2 in my experience, which also jumps well.
Which jump cue do you have? The "power jump" or whatever? I kinda want it just to complete my set :) , but am struggling with the price - it's more than I paid for the player :)

You feel it works as well or better than any others you've tried?

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
The JF-JP 2 Power Jump is the one I purchased. It does work very, very good. Side by side against the Air2, the JF performs better, which I thought was not possible.

I've tried the Air Rush as well but IMO it does not perform at a $600 price tag. Maybe I didn't get enough practice time with it. Just my $0.02.

$300 is no joke for a special purpose cue, but pool is a hobby, I work hard for the $$$ and I don't mind spending that IF it performs.

Hoogaar

Registered
I ordered the JF10-11WF yesterday after watching a few reviews on YouTube. Seems like a very good cue for the price.
My friend bought that exact one after trying mine. The wrap feels fantastic. The overlays look beautiful. And it plays great. I think you'll be happy with it.