Jackie Gleason's Cue from The Hustler

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
So I suppose to get more confirm, I'd like to see if I can get someone to measure their Rambow that is a typical type of the time, to determine the length of the wrap.

Then the thickness at the end of the wrap...and the thickness at the very end of the butt.
Tim
MBL

I understand what you mean about wanting exact specs to do a reproduction of a historical cue. However, Rambow cues are variable, and exact specs are going to vary. I've seen several very nice Rambows from Dick Abott at tournaments, and some felt somewhat close to comfortable, modern spec, and some were larger in the buttplate area. Also, most were shorter in overall length than today's standard 58 inches. I've also seen a couple Rambows in Tim Scruggs' shop in the late 70s that were so thick in the butt area, they looked more like a Louisville Slugger than a cue. So, whatever information you get, take it as a bit variable. According to most accounts, Herman Rambow worked on a wood lathe, with him doing the cutting, not some pre-programmed cutting process.

What to do, you ask? I'd say take your cue to a competent cuemaker, and discuss the possibilities. To leave it full splice may be very difficult, as the joint area after finishing may be too thin. Modern joints are .840 to 850 thousands or so. You can go a bit thinner, but I wouldn't go too much. Also, to leave full splice may require the cuemaker to put too thick a black buttplate after the white ring, that it doesn't look like a Hoppe Rambow at all, to maintain a decent length. It could be the best thing to do is cut the cue, put in a separate handle, do the Hoppe style ring at the bottom, and use the best portion of the points and forearm for the finished cue.

For an example, although not a Titlist blank, I had Tim Scruggs do a Rambow-type cue in 1993 for me, with my own specs. Thicker buttplate (not the Hoppe type), Zircote wood, 58 inches, modern specs, and brass joint, plain black collars. If you want it to look fairly authentic, a brass joint is still your best look. Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• TS Rambo 1.jpg
    TS Rambo 1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 481
  • TS Rambo 4.jpg
    TS Rambo 4.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 488
  • TS Rambo 6.jpg
    TS Rambo 6.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 493
  • TS Rambo 7.jpg
    TS Rambo 7.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:

MBL

Registered
I realize there is a bit of a moving target here. I plan on keeping the stock brass joint. Replacing the leather with linen...and maybe a slight turndown.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I realize there is a bit of a moving target here. I plan on keeping the stock brass joint. Replacing the leather with linen...and maybe a slight turndown.

I think you have a great idea for the project ahead...

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member

Should make for an interesting project. You will probably have an issue going from leather to linen. Most of the old leather wraps they used are way thicker than the modern linen used for wraps.

via Tapatalk

kaye_holly

Registered
Classiccues, hope this isnt terribly off line, But, could/would you post a pic of your 40yr. Old gus? Am interested in two specific sticks . NOT that i could buy them back.... plz post pics sir! Love to see any of them ANY day....
Was fortunate to have played with 2rambows at charlie Lesards room in Manchester nh. In '77.
Had a hoppe,,,, fat butt, got it for low dollars in bout 74/75... . Stiff 2 pc., 57" , no hoppe ring but leather wrap.
Miss those DAYS.
Have the best buska tribute ive seen. Will keep! Plz post some pics ppl. ? !!

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Classiccues, hope this isnt terribly off line, But, could/would you post a pic of your 40yr. Old gus? Am interested in two specific sticks . NOT that i could buy them back.... plz post pics sir! Love to see any of them ANY day....
Was fortunate to have played with 2rambows at charlie Lesards room in Manchester nh. In '77.
Had a hoppe,,,, fat butt, got it for low dollars in bout 74/75... . Stiff 2 pc., 57" , no hoppe ring but leather wrap.
Miss those DAYS.

Post a pic! I love GB tributes!

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4458946&postcount=1

Here is my Gus...

Joe

Miss those DAYS.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am pretty sure you're right. Brunswick Titlist blank. I am using a Willie Hoppe Professional as my raw material. So the idea is to have it turned down some...mine is WAY thick, add an Irish linen wrap...and extend the butt beyond the wrap by a little...not sure how much yet.

I found this pic of the one Willie Mosconi gave to Jackie. It seems to be close to the one he used in the film with the exception of the wrap.

I'd be using this as the base:

But if I get some "specs" from a Rambow collector, it would be a good start.
Tim
MBL
I saw this cue (w/hoppe ring) it person at SBE many years ago at Pool Table Magic's booth, I could be wrong but I think I was told the price was $150,000 and
I think it sold during the show, It's a long time ago 20yrs or more.