Joss Six Pointed Star

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Does anyone have, know of, ever seen, a Joss cue with the same design? A similar design?

The Serial Number is E01002. I understand the "E" indicates an approximate manufacture year of 2004. Any proximal serial numbers out there?

Joss Butt.jpg

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Edit bump. Sorry to impose. I have minimal Joss knowledge, but I do know that there are a great number of Joss fans/experts frequenting the AZ world, and I'm hoping to learn more about this design. Thanks very much.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Still wondering. Anyone out there with a cue with a similar design? Close serial number? I believe that this is a "Star of David" pool cue.

I would really like to know whether or not my cue is a one of a kind, or if Joss Serial Numbers E01001 through E01010 or E01100 (or somewhere thereabouts) could be expected to have the same or similar designs. To my way of thinking, the economics of manufacturing would dictate that production cues could not be "one of a kind". I am blessed with a great imagination but have only limited actual knowledge, so I do not know what was actually involved in creating such inlays, but it would seem to me that, having once expended the effort to set up the process, one would want to crank out several so as to maximize profit.

Out of all you Joss freaks out there, one of y'all must have some notion.

Thanks.

Last edited:

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Janes has a database that will identify the cue. My Joss was shown to have been made for Crystal Leisure which was a Colorado billiard supply

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Janes has a database that will identify the cue. My Joss was shown to have been made for Crystal Leisure which was a Colorado billiard supply
they lost almost all of it during a website re-do. all their archived cues went 'poof'. they pretty much have to do it by memory now.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Garczar: Thanks for reply. For some reason, I understood that about all Joss could tell from a serial # is date of manufacture. My inquiry is directed toward manufacture/design protocol. BUT, I will go ahead and venture a phone call later today. Do you have a "good" phone number? I am not a fan of FB, so let me see what Joss can come up with. If I learn anything of value. I will post here later.
What is your serial number? Do you know how many same or similar cues were made. It is good to know that Joss may have extensive retrievable data.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
they lost almost all of it during a website re-do. all their archived cues went 'poof'. they pretty much have to do it by memory now.
Then all of us could help them recreate their data if they are interested in doing so. Anyone have any idea?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then all of us could help them recreate their data if they are interested in doing so. Anyone have any idea?
again, just contact them. when they re-did their site they lost the archives. they tried pretty hard to get it back but apparently didn't work.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still wondering. Anyone out there with a cue with a similar design? Close serial number? I believe that this is a "Star of David" pool cue.

I would really like to know whether or not my cue is a one of a kind, or if Joss Serial Numbers E01001 through E01010 or E01100 (or somewhere thereabouts) could be expected to have the same or similar designs. To my way of thinking, the economics of manufacturing would dictate that production cues could not be "one of a kind". I am blessed with a great imagination but have only limited actual knowledge, so I do not what was actually involved in creating such inlays, but it would seem to me that, having once expended the effort to set up the process, one would want to crank out several so as to maximize profit.

Out of all you Joss freaks out there, one of y'all must have some notion.

Thanks.
the star of david cue is a Meucci model not a JOSS.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
So, Joss informed me, initially (and incorrectly), that there were 22 same or similar cues. I have sent Joss the number and a link to this thread and asked for any available info.

I am familiar with Meucci SOD, but I think it should be called "Asterisk of David" when compared to my Joss. To really appreciate the work in the inlay, enlarge it, and you can see how the "overlaps" were accommodated.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm

According to Dan Janes, of Joss, the cue's "company or individual" was "Valley Forge 2005". The "model" was "custom". Finish date was 3/14/2005*. It was 19 oz. with 13.25 mm shaft. Mr. Janes had no idea how many were made.

Thanks to Mr. Janes, and y'all, I now have all the info I am going to find. Thanks to all.

*2005 Super Expo was March 17 to 20.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
star forearm.jpg (27263 bytes)
1​
starbutt.jpg (70787 bytes)
2​
starnewbutt.jpg (47036 bytes)

I guess one could call this a "star", but after having viewed the Joss, it would seem more appropriate to think of the above using the term "asterisk". Even before I saw the Joss, I had difficulty with this being a star -- "o.k., if you say so" -- but having been so exposed . . .

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
star forearm.jpg (27263 bytes)
1​
starbutt.jpg (70787 bytes)
2​
starnewbutt.jpg (47036 bytes)

I guess one could call this a "star", but after having viewed the Joss, it would seem more appropriate to think of the above terms of "asterisk". Even before I saw the Joss, I had difficulty with this being a star -- "o.k., if you say so" -- but having been so exposed . . .
couldn't care less what you want to call it. Its known as the Star of David model. yours isn't.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
More information from Mr. Janes. Although he cannot be certain, the facts that the cue was "custom" and sold at Valley Forge lead him to conclude that this cue is the only one of its kind.

I am still curious about the inlay and whether there are other inlays constructed in a similar fashion. Not that I know about CNC, but I do not think it is CNC. The two triangles which make up the star are separate pieces which are notched at the intersections to allow them to lie flat when assembled. I would think CNC would allow one-piece construction, but again, what do I know.