jpeg image

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What info do I need to give the cuemaker to make it easier for him to set up a jpeg image for engraving on a cue, using a computer-controlled machine? Do most all the cuemakers already know how to do that, or is there something I can do to make it easier?

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Ideally, you want to have a VECTOR image. A jpeg is a RASTER image.

It will depend on the cuemaker's ability to convert raster to vector, and the quality of the image he/she starts with. High contrast is a big plus when doing a conversion.

A raster image is composed of pixels with each pixel having a specific value. A vector image is composed of instructions on how to form shapes with specific values and does not use pixels. Vector is math-based. That is why a vector image can be scaled to any size and will still retain its sharpness, whereas as raster image has a set resolution and if it is enlarged it becomes blurry.

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
image quality

thank you for that info. I assume jpeg image quality is related to file size. What jpeg file size would be needed to convert into a useful vector image?

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
converting jpeg to vector

I was looking at a conversion service, and there are many choices as to format, within the vector format. For example, there is eps, ai, cdr, dwg, exf, and perhaps others. Which is most useful? Also, there seems to be a choice between grey scale and line art. This image will be done with ivory and who knows what else, perhaps with very limited color, but is line art the default, or is grey scale best for pool cue vector file purposes?

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
. If you can get the image in a vector format, it depends on the software that the cuemaker uses, and what formats it will recognize .dxf is fairly universal, but again, it depends on the cad/cam software used. A choice between line art and grayscale I don't really understand, grayscale refers to raster images, line art might refer to vector, but I'm not sure.
If you're converting a jpg file, black and white is best. The more contrast between what you want engraved, and the background, the better.
As to size, the bigger the better for jpg. That way it can be blown up a bit and not get all fuzzy on the edges. I usually manipulate an image in photoshop first, cleaning it up, and making sure the background is nice and white, and the image I want is nice and black. Then I convert it to vector with other software.

Last edited: