Jump related issues and questions..

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a Cuetec jump cue about a year ago for a gift. And I've had nothing but success with it.

The problem I am running into now, is that all the tournaments around my home town are starting to place rules against jump cues because I am the only one in the area that uses one and they say that gives me an "unfair advantage".

When I argue with the people to give me a legit reason for banning the jump cue they say "because is screws up the tables".

Can anyone tell me if this is total bull, or does jumping (when done correctly) have any effect on the wear of the felt?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kobyp said:
I got a Cuetec jump cue about a year ago for a gift. And I've had nothing but success with it.

The problem I am running into now, is that all the tournaments around my home town are starting to place rules against jump cues because I am the only one in the area that uses one and they say that gives me an "unfair advantage".

When I argue with the people to give me a legit reason for banning the jump cue they say "because is screws up the tables".

Can anyone tell me if this is total bull, or does jumping (when done correctly) have any effect on the wear of the felt?

At one of Amsterdam's old locations, one of our regulars was practicing jump shots on one of the tables that was reclothed that day. It left little white marks all over the foot of the table and the owner was livid. It contributes to the wear, no doubt but I don't think it has a significant effect on the was the slate actually plays.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jumping balls does do some harm to the cloth. That we cannot get away from.

My local room allows the jump cue to be used only when Gambling or in tournament competition.

The Jump Cue has delivered the masses, from the brutality of very good SAFETY PLAY. Even if you don't make the object ball, that you are trying to hit, you ain't automatically giving your opponent "ball-in-hand". Some safeties are next to impossible to overcome, without a Jump Cue. Some are just impossible..... PERIOD

kydartmaster

Wannabe 1-pocket player
Silver Member
They could also be worried about too many other people trying to jump that don't know how. That's when they will start getting good slate airation from their new felt.

noRulez

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It makes burn marks. The same marks you'll see from the side of the table to the apex of the rack. It's more of an aesthetic thing since it will happen from breaks and masses anyway. I don't think they have any real legit reason to ban them other than that you're the only one that uses one. I use mine only in league or tournaments and I have got crap for it before but nowhere in our rules are they excluded. I can see them being banned if people who don't know how to jump a ball are using them because then you can cause some real damage.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input.

Jumps is a major part of my strategy sometimes. Especially in 9 ball, if I have to push out...I'll push out to a place that I can jump from, which is normally what happens because 98% of the time they give it right back to me.

In 8 ball, I use it very sparingly...if I get off track, I'll use it if need be. Just like someone already said, it helps when people start playing leave on you.

Most of the time I leave the cue in my case, out of sight, until I need it. Then they don't see it coming and it gets in their head sometimes.:D

thyme3421

Playing since 1.1.05..ish
Silver Member
Well, you've got the mechanics down... sounds to me like it's time to grab a house que or your break que, and learn to jump with a full size stick.

Good luck

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
Learn to kick well...it will help you out alot more than you could ever imagine. JMO.

Southpaw

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I can kick too. It's just more fun to get under their skin by jumping because they can't do it.

Jumping with a full size cue...I've tried it with my extra cue but it doesn't work. Do I need to put a really hard tip on it or what?

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
kobyp said:
Oh, I can kick too. It's just more fun to get under their skin by jumping because they can't do it.

Jumping with a full size cue...I've tried it with my extra cue but it doesn't work. Do I need to put a really hard tip on it or what?

You need really good technique. ;)

THAT'S the reason most people who don't like jump cues , don't like jump cues. I only jump with my playing cue , if you can't you shouldn't be jumping IMO.

:)

thyme3421

Playing since 1.1.05..ish
Silver Member
No idea... I can't jump with a full size cue and refuse to use a jump cue until I can with a full size.
I can get it over about a half a ball gap, but not an entire ball... not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong. I have about a medium tip, I can only assume. It's not custom, so...
And everywhere I play has pretty new felt so I don't want to practice until I find an old table in a bar somewhere... but I usually get distracted with bets, and end up not practicing.
Damn money, running my world and junk.
Damn discipline, not running my money.

cuebuilder

www.cuesbydavesucher.com
Silver Member
Proper jumping, wheather with a jump cue or full length cue, does slight damage to the felt. This usually can be brushed out. Proper jumping probably does less damage to the slate than masse shots where you are usually forcing the cue ball into the bed more than a jump because of the extreme angle of the cue.
I'd much rather see jump cues used properly than the guys that try to jump by scooping. Sure aeration for the slate thru the nice rips in the felt. JMO.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thyme3421 said:
No idea... I can't jump with a full size cue and refuse to use a jump cue until I can with a full size.
I can get it over about a half a ball gap, but not an entire ball... not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong. I have about a medium tip, I can only assume. It's not custom, so...
And everywhere I play has pretty new felt so I don't want to practice until I find an old table in a bar somewhere... but I usually get distracted with bets, and end up not practicing.
Damn money, running my world and junk.
Damn discipline, not running my money.

That's how I am, I can jump over the sides of balls, but have never been able to get enough air to get completely over a ball.