Just a shot question...

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
Sorry if this qualifies as "duh".
There is a question that I have and it has been nagging at me.
Trying to spin the cue ball when I am shooting it flush off the rail I won?t compensate for deflection, only curvature?correct.
Now if the is correct then it would seem that the same allowances should be made when you are jacked up over a cue ball that is flush against another ball. If you need to spin it, compensate for curvature but not for deflection?

if this is indeed true then I have been shooting this shot the wrong way for a long time.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Catahula said:
Trying to spin the cue ball when I am shooting it flush off the rail I won?t compensate for deflection, only curvature?correct.
Now if the is correct then it would seem that the same allowances should be made when you are jacked up over a cue ball that is flush against another ball. If you need to spin it, compensate for curvature but not for deflection?

if this is indeed true then I have been shooting this shot the wrong way for a long time.

The moment you jack-up, you need to make a choice. Which is more important to you, pocketing the ball or position? If you need to pocket the ball, you may have to forget about using side-spin. It is a common assumption that you should learn to be able to use side-spin when jacked-up. The answer is, you learn NOT to use it.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Catahula said:

On any spin shot, you need to compensate for both. The more you have to jack up, the more difficult the compensation becomes, because the curve you get is very hard to predict with much accuracy. Personally, when shooting jacked up over a ball, I never use side spin. If I absolutely need to use side spin to get on the next ball, I start thinking safety instead, because I'm taking a crap shoot at whether or not I'm going to make the shot in front of me if I try the spin shot.

-Andrew

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
The moment you jack-up, you need to make a choice. Which is more important to you, pocketing the ball or position? If you need to pocket the ball, you may have to forget about using side-spin. It is a common assumption that you should learn to be able to use side-spin when jacked-up. The answer is, you learn NOT to use it.

Glad to see a player of Jude's caliber approaches this situation the same way I do.

-Andrew

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
Glad to see a player of Jude's caliber approaches this situation the same way I do.

-Andrew

Well, that's after I spent years and years of missing when jacked up and trying to spin the ball around the table!

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Catahula said:

If you want to use english while jacked up just a little, deflection (aka squirt) will still take place.

When you hit a ball with high-right, say, and a fairly level cue, the apparent deflection is reduced because it's in the direction opposite the tip offset - in this case down and to the left. Also, swerve (curving) tends to cancel it more quickly because of the increased downward thrust of the cueball. (A bouncing ball curves more quickly than one riding continuously on the surface.)

Jim

thyme3421

Playing since 1.1.05..ish
Silver Member
Jude said it right

Jude Rosenstock said:

If I'm stuck to the rail and I'm forced to jack up... I'll hit center english, or I'll start thinking about how the side spin is going to create a masse shot.
Granted, I could maybe control the masse... I'd rather not have to concern myself with it.

Jacked up=Center english <--- my rule of thumb