Keeping the Cue Ball Clean

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used several brands of chalk. All with basically the same results. Kamui, magic chalk, masters. All leave the same marks over a fairly short period of time. Also I do use the Arimith religiously along with a micro fiber cloth. Soap and water was more of an experiment than anything else. Cue ball as mentioned is a Brunswick Centennial Blue Circle.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I have found that using Triangle chalk cuts down on the chalk marks on the cue ball.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HOW many tournaments offer the "perfect conditions" you refer to? Part of playing pool is being able to adapt(quickly) to varying conditions. The only places i know of that even come close are the big, major events. New "cloth", balls and "perfect" tables? Dream on.

Don't want to argue. Yes you're correct that ability to adjust to conditions is important. All tables play different no matter what, but if most or all tables play without any compliance to the math, common sense, feel or whatever is used, then what's the point. At some ridiculous point it becomes a carnival game.

Bringing it further, if you're a beginner and really interested in learning, if there's no adherence to how a table should play beyond book diagrams, how do you learn to compensate when there's no actual Standard to judge other tables.

Of course the answer to that is to use 1 particular gaff table as your Personal standard but ....... just saying.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't want to argue. Yes you're correct that ability to adjust to conditions is important. All tables play different no matter what, but if most or all tables play without any compliance to the math, common sense, feel or whatever is used, then what's the point. At some ridiculous point it becomes a carnival game.

Bringing it further, if you're a beginner and really interested in learning, if there's no adherence to how a table should play beyond book diagrams, how do you learn to compensate when there's no actual Standard to judge other tables.

Of course the answer to that is to use 1 particular gaff table as your Personal standard but ....... just saying.

I think he might have been referring to straight or rotation games. Billiards or 3 cushion you absolutely have to have a table that plays correctly and you are right in this type of tournaments the table and balls are generally close to perfect conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of Centennials and a red circle CB. IMHO it’s not even close. The red circle CB stays much cleaner than the blue circle Centennial CB. That red circle CB is pretty awesome in that regard.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HOW many tournaments offer the "perfect conditions" you refer to? Part of playing pool is being able to adapt(quickly) to varying conditions. The only places i know of that even come close are the big, major events. New "cloth", balls and "perfect" tables? Dream on.

You can dream on if you want.

It's a reality for me.

I don't play in your $10 tournaments.

Jeff

Edit:

A few more minutes to respond.

I didn't mean to sound like......dream on .....like you did.

I try to be respectful of everyone and especially of people i don't know.

Sir, you know absolutely nothing about me. But, I'll fill you in:

I rarely ever play in public and almost never play a tournament but, if I do choose to play a tournament, it is an event that will have those conditions.

Again, no disrespect meant. I just don't care to play in weekly or monthly tournaments.

I don't know you so, I won't ASSUME what you do or don't do.

Jeff

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can dream on if you want.

It's a reality for me.

I don't play in your $10 tournaments.

Jeff

Edit:

A few more minutes to respond.

I didn't mean to sound like......dream on .....like you did.

I try to be respectful of everyone and especially of people i don't know.

Sir, you know absolutely nothing about me. But, I'll fill you in:

I rarely ever play in public and almost never play a tournament but, if I do choose to play a tournament, it is an event that will have those conditions.

Again, no disrespect meant. I just don't care to play in weekly or monthly tournaments.

I don't know you so, I won't ASSUME what you do or don't do.

Jeff

Not all of us have that luxury. I wish there was something like you describe around here. And if there was, I probably couldn't afford to enter it, let alone travel to one. Paycheck to paycheck life.

When you say "I don't play in "YOUR" $10 tournaments", it's like you are looking down your nose at some of us. If you didn't mean it that way, it nevertheless felt that way. You could have said I dont play in 10 dollar tournaments instead.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all of us have that luxury. I wish there was something like you describe around here. And if there was, I probably couldn't afford to enter it, let alone travel to one. Paycheck to paycheck life.

When you say "I don't play in "YOUR" $10 tournaments", it's like you are looking down your nose at some of us. If you didn't mean it that way, it nevertheless felt that way. You could have said I dont play in 10 dollar tournaments instead.

First, yes, your correct.....I did come across as you say. I didn't mean it that way. The keyboard doesn't relay our feelings accurately sometimes.

If you read his first response to me, you could say he was disrespectful by saying I was dreaming.....and to dream on.

I originally took ^^^^^^^ as an insult and responded as such.

After I read my response, I thought it sounded to harsh so, I edited the post long before your reply.

Evidently you didn't read the edit and see where I actually gave an apology of sorts but, still made it clear that he doesn't know me well enough to say what I can or can't do nor what I'm able to do.

I'm nothing special, trust me, I'm about as simple a person as you can meet. I also try my level best to give the same respect I would like to receive.

As far as me playing in nothing but the type tournaments that require as close to perfect conditions as possible. Well, that tells you I either travel a lot or play very little. If you read my edit in my post, you'll see where I said I rarely play in tournaments but, when I do, I choose to find larger events that draw more pros and that means better conditions in general.

It's not a blanket statement since I have, like everyone else played on less than desired equipment but, that too is a rarity.

What I do is:

Choose what event

Then find out what equipment...balls, racks etc...etc

If I don't already have access to ^^^^^^ type equipment, I buy it to use beforehand

It's very simple, it gives a bit more confidence when I'm use to the conditions of slick cloth and new balls that are had at most of the larger events.

The cb and ob's react much differently when comparing old worn cloth and balls to new or lightly used equipment.

Jeff

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line reality is that most pool players really don't care or even think about it. For our weekly Monday night tournaments, with the exception of new cloth, as owner / manager / TD, I always make a point to provide our tournament players with perfectly cleaned and freshly vacuumed tables, and virtually brand new Centennial balls which we only use for tournaments, which I clean and polish the following morning, and then put them up until the next tournament.

Do you know how often I get a comment from a tournament player regarding how much they appreciate playing on really nice clean table cloths with nice shiny virtually new balls - almost never! The only one who does comment regularly is a fellow room owner / manager / TD / regular tournament player, who nearly always makes a point to let me know how much he appreciates it.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line reality is that most pool players really don't care or even think about it. For our weekly Monday night tournaments, with the exception of new cloth, as owner / manager / TD, I always make a point to provide our tournament players with perfectly cleaned and freshly vacuumed tables, and virtually brand new Centennial balls which we only use for tournaments, which I clean and polish the following morning, and then put them up until the next tournament.

Do you know how often I get a comment from a tournament player regarding how much they appreciate playing on really nice clean table cloths with nice shiny virtually new balls - almost never! The only one who does comment regularly is a fellow room owner / manager / TD / regular tournament player, who nearly always makes a point to let me know how much he appreciates it.

Even if they dont covey it to you directly, I assure you they are saying it among themselves. They also talk about it if they are dirty with dull balls.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^^^^^^ the way everyone should keep their equipment.

I know it's more expensive to do so, and I'm sure your regulars know it as well. I'm sure they appreciate it.

Go a few weeks with out those great conditions and I bet you would hear from some of your regulars.

It would be a shame if they don't appreciate all the hard work and extra expenses you endure for them to have great playing conditions.

My hats off to you sir:thumbup:

Jeff

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^ the way everyone should keep their equipment.

I know it's more expensive to do so, and I'm sure your regulars know it as well. I'm sure they appreciate it.

Go a few weeks with out those great conditions and I bet you would hear from some of your regulars.

It would be a shame if they don't appreciate all the hard work and extra expenses you endure for them to have great playing conditions.

My hats off to you sir:thumbup:

Jeff

Agree with that. Also, Chris is one of the few that tapes over the sharp brackets in the sides of the ball return on Gold Crowns. That's a level of dedication not often seen in room owners. And, to keep it relevant, it helps keep all the balls clean, cuts down on rough spots.

All the best,
WW