Kielwood shaft the way to go?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes they are! It is marketing - fine with me / I just don’t buy into 90% of it - I spend my time Trying to get it all correct for me with really good time proven equipment / It is all good - don’t Mis understand me / great for keeping money in the sport for those that make a living off it!
If it was really just for marketing, they would just slap on some new stickers and change a random thing here and there with a fancy trademarked name instead of spending a ton of time and money engineering. I'm sure many of the "new, improved" things they really want to be improved, and technically it may be, but it may not improve someone's score or run out ability. In some cases, they may even have made things worse, and their older stuff becomes more desirable. I know in tennis there are some newer models that people did not like as much as older ones so there are certain model year rackets that people go after. I remember one year a brand added some extra dampening design to a model and people though it made the hit dead, everyone wanted the prior year one.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For custom shafts, yes. 10-12 week lead time so it's right about on time. I got lucky and was able to order it before the actual release date. I should be seeing it soon.
Look for your review
Pm me

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is not Richard Hsu. That is "The Billiard Corner" testing a kielwood shaft sent to him by Richard. I got my Hsunami shaft last week and I am very happy with it. It has a more natural sound than my Bob Runde kielwood shaft and appears to be more "refined". I use a 12mm with a pro taper and an Everest tip which leans towards the harder of the medium tips. Richard built my shaft perfect to my specification requests. I am finding out that this is a trademark of his...building exactly to a customer's request. As I've said before, no wood shaft is going to replace the performance of a well designed carbon fiber shaft but if you prefer wood, like me, and only want to try one kielwood shaft, you might want to try the Hsunami.

“Here is a review of a kielwood shaft by Richard Hsu” means that the shaft is from Richard.

“Here is a review of kielwood shaft, by Richard Hsu” means that the review is from Richard.

The simple comma changes the meaning.

Edison Wu (the OP) as far as I know not only is the reviewer, but he’s also “The Billiard Corner.”

Reactions: ACL

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was really just for marketing, they would just slap on some new stickers and change a random thing here and there with a fancy trademarked name instead of spending a ton of time and money engineering. I'm sure many of the "new, improved" things they really want to be improved, and technically it may be, but it may not improve someone's score or run out ability. In some cases, they may even have made things worse, and their older stuff becomes more desirable. I know in tennis there are some newer models that people did not like as much as older ones so there are certain model year rackets that people go after. I remember one year a brand added some extra dampening design to a model and people though it made the hit dead, everyone wanted the prior year one.
Very True! I just sold a Prince Graphite racquet from the 90s- Some Tennis pros told me it is still highly desired- the one Agassi used back then. I found it on a hunt and just figured that it was something special - made a handsome profit of 500%!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very True! I just sold a Prince Graphite racquet from the 90s- Some Tennis pros told me it is still highly desired- the one Agassi used back then. I found it on a hunt and just figured that it was something special - made a handsome profit of 500%!

I have one of those too, not sure if it's the same model, a black and green one with the bar across. Bought it new like 20 years ago and don't think I played with it more than a few times. I think Michael Chang used one which is why I got it, that guy had hustle.

rs.php

telinoz

Registered
You are going to LOVE it! I got the original back in the fall and it is by far the best shaft I have ever used. I ordered the new Hsunami 2.0 in January a few days before their release so I am hoping to see it in the next week or so.

Did you order the original or the 2.0?

Papa Bear pool

try one first is the hard part, if anybody in the greater Seattle area that's reading this has one I'd love to give it a spin .. but from the video review that sound is exactly what I'm after and I'll be getting in touch soon to get a better idea of pricing and such.
Not in any rush for this so had been planning to try a variety of kielwood shafts as I could come across them before dropping cash on anything.

try one first is the hard part, if anybody in the greater Seattle area that's reading this has one I'd love to give it a spin .. but from the video review that sound is exactly what I'm after and I'll be getting in touch soon to get a better idea of pricing and such.
Not in any rush for this so had been planning to try a variety of kielwood shafts as I could come across them before dropping cash on anything.
Try out Golden West Games in Tacoma, they have one that you can try out, it is under their brand Spire, but it is kielwood.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard a
I'm in Portland if you ever want to test the 1.0 and 2.0

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of those too, not sure if it's the same model, a black and green one with the bar across. Bought it new like 20 years ago and don't think I played with it more than a few times. I think Michael Chang used one which is why I got it, that guy had hustle.

rs.php
(y):)yes that sure looks just like the one I found and sold- it had three green stripes around the graphite head- in research I found that some have one or two stripes around the club head- When I saw it in new condition in the thrift shop in an original suede Prince case I had a feeling that it was special- sold it on e bay FAST- a local tennis pro wanted to buy it but it was oversize head and he did not play with an oversize.

P.S. - I was really looking for cues at the thrift shop! But after 30 years of hunting- I will buy anything that catches my eye as a keeper or resale.

MrBouncy

Try out Golden West Games in Tacoma, they have one that you can try out, it is under their brand Spire, but it is kielwood.
Thanks for the info, a couple weeks ago I put in my order for the Hsunami 2.0 with customized options. My tax return situation turned out better than expected previously and figured it was best to just bite the bullet..

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I may be just to old school for today's trends. But back in the day that tink of a 50 year old 2x4 being dropped on a basement floor was not what anyone was looking for in a cue shaft. It seems that tinky sound of a rock hard shaft is some how the new vogue. I don't care for that sound at all. and I remember when a super stiff shaft didn't give enough and threw the ball off line when a more flexable shaft gave way allowing the ball to travel straight. Are we forgetting all that? I'm not.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I remember when a super stiff shaft didn't give enough and threw the ball off line when a more flexable shaft gave way allowing the ball to travel straight. Are we forgetting all that? I'm not.
I have never seen any legit testing or experience to prove this.
Endmass is the overriding factor for deflection.

I may be just to old school for today's trends. But back in the day that tink of a 50 year old 2x4 being dropped on a basement floor was not what anyone was looking for in a cue shaft. It seems that tinky sound of a rock hard shaft is some how the new vogue. I don't care for that sound at all. and I remember when a super stiff shaft didn't give enough and threw the ball off line when a more flexable shaft gave way allowing the ball to travel straight. Are we forgetting all that? I'm not.
The kielwood shafts don’t tink like some of the carbon ones. It’s a deeper sound

ky4some

Registered
And soon there will be a kielwood shaft with a carbon center core from Purex. Will be interesting to see how the market reacts to those.

IGotLucky

And soon there will be a kielwood shaft with a carbon center core from Purex. Will be interesting to see how the market reacts to those.
That's similar to what KP Tech, the cue and shaft used by Chieh Yu Chou, is doing with their shafts, carbon fiber rod through wood shaft. This tech has been used in guitars for sometime now. Carbon fiber truss rods in the neck keep it from warping.