Kieth Josey Custom Cues

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to do a small review of my Josey Custom Cue. Birdseye Merry Widow w/black lizard wrap.
Specs:
19.2 oz
Butt 15.2 oz
Shaft #1 4.0 oz 12.8mm
Shaft #2 4.0 oz 12.8mm
First of all the craftsmanship is absolutely flawless. The wrap is done to perfection, and the seam is nearly impossible to find. The hit is rock solid with plenty of feedback, and has that "ping" sound that many players love. The cue plays stiff with extremely low deflection, but moves the ball around the table with ease. The full table draw shot is achieved fairly easy as is follow, and side spin. The cue is slightly forward weighted which I prefer. The shafts have a Conical taper, but not so much that it inhibits the stroke. The cue plays absolutely fabulous, and I've played many cues in the past 50 years.

I don't know what else I can say? I doubt anyone who tries one would not like it, but you know there is always that one person. I'll post up some photos as soon as I can take some good ones

If you do not agree with my opinion on Josey cues please just scroll on by as I do not want this turning ugly as so many reviews do.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_162238104~2.jpg
    IMG_20210226_162238104~2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_20210226_162251372~2.jpg
    IMG_20210226_162251372~2.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to do a small review of my Josey Custom Cue. Birdseye Merry Widow w/black lizard wrap.
Specs:
19.2 oz
Butt 15.2 oz
Shaft #1 4.0 oz 12.8mm
Shaft #2 4.0 oz 12.8mm
First of all the craftsmanship is absolutely flawless. The wrap is done to perfection, and the seam is nearly impossible to find. The hit is rock solid with plenty of feedback, and has that "ping" sound that many players love. The cue plays stiff with extremely low deflection, but moves the ball around the table with ease. The full table draw shot is achieved fairly easy as is follow, and side spin. The cue is slightly forward weighted which I prefer. The shafts have a Conical taper, but not so much that it inhibits the stroke. The cue plays absolutely fabulous, and I've played many cues in the past 50 years.

I don't know what else I can say? I doubt anyone who tries one would not like it, but you know there is always that one person. I'll post up some photos as soon as I can take some good ones

If you do not agree with my opinion on Josey cues please just scroll on by as I do not want this turning ugly as so many reviews do.

Thanks for reading.
I like the specs, and I like the look. What's the balance point measured from the butt? How much $$ and how long of a wait? If you don't mind, how about a picture of the whole cue lying on a table?

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the specs, and I like the look. What's the balance point measured from the butt? How much $$ and how long of a wait? If you don't mind, how about a picture of the whole cue lying on a table?
Sent you a private message.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Another Josey customer here. Well, it did cause a "problem"....you see, once I got the Josey, I've quit looking at or trying other cues. This can't be good for the economy. ;) Mine's a 2007 model. Your description of how it plays matches my thoughts perfectly. Couldn't be happier. As stroke of luck said, Keith Josey is top notch both in the quality of his cues and his customer service.

sonoman

when I got my first Josey I though about calling him up and asking; what did you do to this thing? I can't miss.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you like it. I found they hit dull. Exact opposite of your description. To each there own I guess.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Specs:
19.2 oz
Butt 15.2 oz
Shaft #1 4.0 oz 12.8mm
Shaft #2 4.0 oz 12.8mm

Thanks for reading.
I recently ordered a Josey Merry Widow as well, bocote and wrapless. I'll have it in, hopefully, 8 months or so. I've never played with a Josey but have heard so many good things about him and his work that I thought I'd finally get a custom made cue, and his prices are very reasonable. He makes a cue with a large butt diameter (no jokes please) and he will make mine a little slimmer to my specs. With some luck it will be my favorite and life will be good. It it isn't, I'll keep it around and eventually sell it for very little loss. Win-win.

nelson1988

Specs:
19.2 oz
Butt 15.2 oz
Shaft #1 4.0 oz 12.8mm
Shaft #2 4.0 oz 12.8mm

Thanks for reading.
Congratulations on your Josey. I 100% agree with you. Great craftsmanship and playability. Plus Keith and Sherry are great to work with.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Specs:
19.2 oz
Butt 15.2 oz
Shaft #1 4.0 oz 12.8mm
Shaft #2 4.0 oz 12.8mm

Thanks for reading.
I posted earlier about having ordered a Josey merry widow. Here's what I think having had it for several months. I ordered it with a slightly smaller butt than his average, no larger than 1.25". It took me awhile to adjust to the conical shaft taper; it seemed larger than the 12.75mm ordered, but I've adjusted. It came with a Kamikaze tip Sherry said Keith plays with. It is one of my favorites and the last time I played with it in League I had one of my best evenings ever. It was about a 9 month lead time which seems reasonable compared to other custom cue makers, and the price seemed very reasonable as well. I have a cue collection and I'm selling all but 3 or 4, and my Josey is definitely a keeper.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted earlier about having ordered a Josey merry widow. Here's what I think having had it for several months. I ordered it with a slightly smaller butt than his average, no larger than 1.25". It took me awhile to adjust to the conical shaft taper; it seemed larger than the 12.75mm ordered, but I've adjusted. It came with a Kamikaze tip Sherry said Keith plays with. It is one of my favorites and the last time I played with it in League I had one of my best evenings ever. It was about a 9 month lead time which seems reasonable compared to other custom cue makers, and the price seemed very reasonable as well. I have a cue collection and I'm selling all but 3 or 4, and my Josey is definitely a keeper.
You definitely have to specify butt size on a Josey. I won a nice bacote sneaky yrs ago in a raffle and the butt, to me anyway, was huge. 1.28+. I sold it the next day. He makes great cues tho no doubt.