layered or unlayered tips

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I'm sure this seems like a battered subject, but I searched the forum but couldn't find something exactly on point. I recently bought a cue and it hits amazing, but it has a non-layered tip. It's the first time I'm playing with a non-layered tip other than when I play on house cues. What feel does a non-layered tip contribute to the cue? I just want to make sure I know what parts of my cue are contributing to what feel so I don't naively change things.

In terms of performance, which plays more consistent? I also care more about feel and consistency than durability, since I no longer have the luxury of shooting 30 hours a week like I used to...

Thanks!

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I don't really think feel is a matter of if the tip is layered or not. A soft one piece, doesn't feel all that much different than a layered one piece. I bounce back and forth between one piece (usually a milk dud from pooldawg8 on this forum) tips and layered tips depending on what I feel like playing.

The milk dud is my replacement for harder layered tips, and for old compressed lepro's. Just a really good playing tip that holds chalk well and doesn't mushroom much.

Currently I'm trying out precision tips from Searing in medium. Not sure if I'll stay with them or not, depends how much the price goes up as they mushroom more than the milk duds, but play a bit softer. Milk dud's last forever, and play pretty consistently. The precision in medium seems like a good tip, but I feel like I need to scuff it up more.