Layered Pig Skin Tips/Sand or Score?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Do they need to be scuffed before being applied to the ferrule?
It doesn't feel good to sand it.
Having done hundreds of La Pros and others, often was a coating on em that had to be removed before the glue down.
I've done tips for 30 yrs, but the soft pigskin Mori tips, seem/feel like it would be best to just put clock like shallow razor cuts on the glue side.

My guess it's best to NOT lightly sand the glue side before facing it up.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not saying I'm right but I've always sanded b4 gluing.

Been a really long time since I've scored a tip.
Frankly, I forgot all about that technique.

Zerksies

I sand the bottom of every tip besides the Kamui clear, Which i am told explicitly not to sand the bottom

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I sand the bottom of every tip besides the Kamui clear, Which i am told explicitly not to sand the bottom
I sand the bottom of Kamui clear because they are not flat. They say not to sand them but they are also supposed to be flat. Just enough to knock the high spot off with high grit paper. Basically once the tip is matte instead of shiny they are ok. YMMV.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Always sand to check for flatness. Especially if you're using CA glue. Scoring is also a bad idea when using CA.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I always sand them on a machined surface. It often surprises me how much you have to remove to get the entire bottom flat.

I also score mine as well. Always have. Never lost a tip. Granted, I may not have lost any even if I didn't score them but I like the practice.

We tend to score tenons to provide grip for glue, why would a tip be different?

Zerksies

I sand the bottom of Kamui clear because they are not flat. They say not to sand them but they are also supposed to be flat. Just enough to knock the high spot off with high grit paper. Basically once the tip is matte instead of shiny they are ok. YMMV.
That's why you are supposed to check for flatness before you install.

Island Drive

Silver Member
I always sand them on a machined surface. It often surprises me how much you have to remove to get the entire bottom flat.

I also score mine as well. Always have. Never lost a tip. Granted, I may not have lost any even if I didn't score them but I like the practice.

We tend to score tenons to provide grip for glue, why would a tip be different?
Guys appreciate your input & ideas.
It's just when I sand the Mori, it's so porus, soft, almost fluffy after the flattening.
I have not had any of them come off tho.
Should I sand it down nearly one layer to get to a less fluffy/soft area, Or?
Have any of you posters installed many of these Mori's?

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
No way you should have to sand that much off. If you get getting "soft, almost fluffy", it sounds like 1) you are taking too much off; and 2) you are using too coarse sandpaper. I use 220 on a hard, flat surface. All you need to do is enough to get a uniform surface. I then blow it with compressed air to remove any dust, give it a quick wipe with alcohol, lightly score it 4-6 times, and install.

If you are having real issues, some folks put a layer of CA on the tip, ensuring full coverage, and let it dry. Then sand that surface. This seals the tip and prevents the final glue bond from absorbing so much into the tip.

Just my two cents.

Island Drive

Silver Member
I sanded very little each time, with very fine grit. It got soft ''instantly''. Quick alcohol wipe recommendation/thanks and the scoring I've done. I think the alcohol touch is a good idea to remove the fine/dust.
thx
bm

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sanded very little each time, with very fine grit. It got soft ''instantly''. Quick alcohol wipe recommendation/thanks and the scoring I've done. I think the alcohol touch is a good idea to remove the fine/dust.
thx
bm
Do you ever "prime" the bottom of the tip with CA before using it? I've never had one come off since I started doing that. Apply CA to the bottom and let it dry; I use a hair dryer to speed things up. Lightly sand, wipe clean and glue it on(y)

Island Drive

Silver Member
What is CA?

thx
bm

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is CA?

thx
bm
Super glue in all its versions. My tip guy uses SuperglueGel. never had a tip come off. ever.