LD Deflection on cheap butts

PitterPatter

Registered
Okay I asked this kind of ish before but I seemed to have got answered based on integrity of playing pool rather than a good or bad idea for some reason, so please be relevant. Now I was thinking at first of getting a cheap butt like an action wooden butt with a 314 2nd gen pred shaft. Other than a yay or nay, is reasonable explanations like affecting the deflection of some sort? or is it just the feel of the cue relating to the grip? Whats the huge difference from this idea and the idea of butt predator brand built?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
OB1 started out selling just low deflection shafts alone. Don't let others trying to show off derail you.

For me, reasons why I would buy a Predator shaft is consistency. Replacing one 314 for another should play very close to each other. That's from their manufacturing and quality control.

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I am in the camp that believes the butt is largely for show, and the bulk of "performance" is found in the shaft and tip.

I believe that very few people here, if any, could tell what butt they were playing with if it was somehow masked.

One of my cues is a Z2 on an inexpensive Meucci Power Piston demo butt. Plays just fine for me.

The most important thing to remember is that you can play well or poorly with any cue. It is a matter of learning the instrument that you hold in your hand.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Changing shafts will make any cue feel different. Get an LD shaft if you want, if you don't like it... sell it.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:speechless:

Yes, just get a cheap butt like an Action Cue and a Predator 314-2 shaft.

In a couple months report back with a cue and shaft review.:thumbup:

osama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm running a Cuetec butt with Predator shaft here for years. In my opinion, the butt is only for looks. Mine is very understated and always get my opponent off guard. :grin-square:

The only bad thing is, It take weeks to get a custom shaft for me as the pin is a weird 3/8 14. You won't have this problem if you have a standard pin.

One last thing, Predator, OB, and other manufacturers are also selling their high end shafts with basic butts. you should give those a thought if you don't already have a cue.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe a proper foundation to anything is needed including a pool cue.
The butt to me plays a big enough roll that I've put the same shaft on a few
different butts and with some the shaft felt like crap and had bad vibrations
and tones and with others it felt great.
Its all about pure energy transfer.Certain cues have it and others don't.
It might not make you pot more balls but solid playing equipment lets you
focus on your game instead of your cue.
So yes,IMO the butt makes a big difference when it comes to balance, feel and overall
comfort.