League Schedule help desperately needed.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have a need for a 10 team schedule in which no team is either home or away more than 2 weeks in a row. In addition I have 3 locations with 2 teams each but only 1 pool table per location so those teams would also not be able to be at home at the same time. Each team will play each other twice during the season, once at home and once at away match. Can someone create a schedule in excel or some other format to help me out.

You can email the schedule to me at kevinlindstrom@msn.com

Thank you in advance.

Kevin

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is practically impossible. Impossible when two teams from the same location play each other. For instance team A plays home. Then team A plays against team B as the away team. The following week they are home. 3 week at the same location is likely in some cases.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have a 12 team version of this that works perfectly but am not sure how to eliminate team #11 and team #12. If it would make it easier for someone to create what I need from the 12 team version I could certainly send that to them. I know it can be done it is just above my brain power. LOL

Rusty in Montana

This is just a suggestion but put 10 numbers in a hat and start drawing teams 11 & 12 just for instance are byes then draw one for each team . Wouldn't that solve the problem ?

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, the 10-team dilemma. 14 teams is also hard, and I suspect 18 is hard too. All 3 are numbers that are not divisible by 4, and 4 is what you need to switch up the home/away pattern and work in the twice at home / twice away combinations. The closest I've been able to get is one team plays away (and one home) three times in a row, but I have the additional constraints that every pair (1 & 2, 3 & 4, etc.) must be "sister teams", one home when the other is away, not just some of them, and the schedules have to balance home/away for all teams for any number of weeks, not just the home-and-home schedule you have. So your problem might actually be solvable, it's just a solution that doesn't work for me so I haven't considered it.

I suspect that what you really want is not a schedule where nobody is home or away more than two weeks in a row, but a schedule where nobody is away from their home location more than twice in a row. Nobody complains about playing in their home location more than two weeks in a row. So what you do is minimize the number of instances where teams are away more than two weeks in a row (I know you can get it down to one occurrence but I am contractually prohibited from actually sharing that data with you), then put the teams in the schedule so that those instances all include at least one time where the team is technically the visitor, but at their home location. That way no team plays away from their home location more than twice in a row.

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
try to get an 11th team then add a bye week for the 12 team
to do the divisible by 4 formula apa operator was talking about
then that makes 4 more weeks for the bars to make more money with league longer