Leagues? good or bad for the Pool Realm

I dunno.. how would football or baseball do in the states without leagues?

The times I've seen packed rooms have been when there are either leagues(regularly) or when a bunch of weekend warriors/drinkers hit the hall for a night out.

The bar/wait-staff have always looked forward to league nights, because they know they'll be busy. They also know that a good part of the people that show up will be friendly and tip well.

Maybe some people don't like leagues because their ego hurts when they lose to a league player. :eek:
 
true. i think that the salvation of pool is having more pro players involved with league marketing and promotional events.
 
true. i think that the salvation of pool is having more pro players involved with league marketing and promotional events.

Leagues bring more people into pool(like me), get them more acquainted with the games and allow them to measure their progress. There are more things, but those come to mind at the moment. I think this is one thing Bonus Ball got right.. finally somebody starting a "pro league". Christina De La Garza, Jeanette Lee, Allison Fisher and others have been featured on the APA site. I'm sure there's some kind of compensation in it for them - at the least, some kind of marketing exposure to thousands and thousands of people.
 
I like the concept of BB but i also want to watch something that is familiar. so having a league for pros that has a format similar to APA masters would be cool. race to 7 combination of 8 ball and 9 ball. or like the mosconi cup.
 
Good for pool

Leagues are good for pool. Most gamblers
are OK with them and the non-gamblers
have a way to compete that matters.
Especially in places where pool halls are
extinct.

Once you are too good for leagues you're
hooked anyway but leagues are a great entry
level step.

I have friends who joined a league just to
learn how to play. So they wouldn't be
embarrassed in the local bar. Well, years
later they are much better than the
average bar banger and still playing in
leagues. I guess they are still learning.
 
From a business standpoint, leagues appear to be the only positive thing happening in pool. It's an interesting question to post in the Room Owners Forum. I'd be surprised if they didn't say "without leagues I'd be out of business."
 
Agree...

From a business standpoint, leagues appear to be the only positive thing happening in pool. It's an interesting question to post in the Room Owners Forum. I'd be surprised if they didn't say "without leagues I'd be out of business."

There are leagues geared for beginners, leagues for intermediates, and leagues for advanced players. Some work pretty well for all three.

There are handicap leagues, scratch leagues, singles, doubles, 3-person team leagues, etc. Eight ball, 9-ball, 14-1, 10-ball, 3-cushion and one pocket leagues. Something for most everyone.

Owners who don't promote leagues (and I stress an option of more than just one league system), just don't get it.

I played at a venue in the '80s that had league four nights a week, and the owner sponsored eight teams, buying them all shirts, and sponsoring some in tournaments. Don't see much of this kind of support from owners any more.
 
Back
Top