Lefties vs Righties

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do everything right handed except shoot pool and rifles. I can't shoot left handed with a mechanical bridge, I have to switch over to the right. My right hand is stronger and steadier. When I shoot a rifle, it's my right arm that does the work, steadying etc., the left hand just pulls the trigger. I guess that's why I also shoot pool left handed, I feel like I'm aiming with my stance, alignment, and good steady bridge hand, and just swinging the cue straight thru with my left hand.

Interesting, sticks to the theme of power on right and finesse on the left.

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t do anything left handed except use a box cutter (I’m a grocer), write, and shoot pool. Couldn’t shoot pool right handed if my life depended on it. I can only swing a golf club, tennis racket, or baseball bat right handed. I also throw righty. Funny enough though, if I want to kick something it’s almost always done with the left foot. I’m all kind of mixed up.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
In developing my left (off) handed game I discovered that left hand/right brain was creative while right hand/left brain was analytical. Right handed I measured left handed I tend to just feel.
I experienced greater success on banks and combinations with the left hand. I also experienced better luck left handed. I remember hearing Ronnie O’Sullivan say that he broke off left handed because he had better luck. One time I was getting soundly beaten plus couldn’t catch a break. I switched to the left and shit a ball in and proceeded to win the match.
Anyone who is practicing hours a day would do well to develop the other hand. You can practice twice as long before becoming arm weary. 😉

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
In developing my left (off) handed game I discovered that left hand/right brain was creative while right hand/left brain was analytical. Right handed I measured left handed I tend to just feel.
I experienced greater success on banks and combinations with the left hand. I also experienced better luck left handed. I remember hearing Ronnie O’Sullivan say that he broke off left handed because he had better luck. One time I was getting soundly beaten plus couldn’t catch a break. I switched to the left and shit a ball in and proceeded to win the match.
Anyone who is practicing hours a day would do well to develop the other hand. You can practice twice as long before becoming arm weary. 😉

That doesn't solve the standing problem. Feet swell up after a while.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t do anything left handed except use a box cutter (I’m a grocer), write, and shoot pool. Couldn’t shoot pool right handed if my life depended on it. I can only swing a golf club, tennis racket, or baseball bat right handed. I also throw righty. Funny enough though, if I want to kick something it’s almost always done with the left foot. I’m all kind of mixed up.

I'm the same as you except the left foot thing, always kick with my right.

Interested to know if you can use a box cutter with your right hand? I can use both but if I'm concerned about the items in the box I'm opening then I have to use my left hand.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking that bowling could also have wear on the lane from just the heavy balls rolling on the right more than the left, besides the oil.

I used to play competitive putt-putt (a particular franchise system of mini golf with geometrical hole designs, no clowns). There was a big contingent of “pro” left handed putters. I cannot imagine that there was an inherent advantage for lefties but there was an out-sized representation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the same as you except the left foot thing, always kick with my right.

Interested to know if you can use a box cutter with your right hand? I can use both but if I'm concerned about the items in the box I'm opening then I have to use my left hand.
I’m usually cutting a lot of boxed product at a good clip, so I’d only use my right hand if I wanted to risk a laceration to the left hand/forearm that’s holding the box in place.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Shoot Pool as a Lefty, but as a Child, relatives tried to take Pens and Pencils from my left Hand, to force me to be a Righty, but my Parents stopped them from steering me away from what was natural for me. I don't remember if that affected my preferences without my Parent's knowledge, but I always played Baseball(Batting and Throwing), Football, Basketball, Bowling, Use a Computer Mouse,and Hockey as a Righty, but I always played Pool, Ate, Wrote, and played Guitar as a Righty. I have always considered myself a Lefty.My Mom was an Identical Twin, and as one of Four Boys, two of us are Lefty's and Two are Righty's, two have Flat Feet and Two with pronounced Arches, while two are Extroverted, and two are Introverted. I was always told that Lefty's were more naturally talented at something, if the Parents exposed them to everything, until their Gift s or Talents were exposed.I was also told that because of the way that us Lefty's look at our World, we are coming from a different perspective, and it produces some Pitchers with Great Curveballs or Pinpoint Control, Flamboyant or Talented, Freewheeling, Awesome Shooters and Position Players such as Sigel,Shaw,Morris, Filler, Mizerak,Wu.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant to say that I eat, write, Shoot Pool,play Guitar as a Lefty. I was also told that Lefty's are one step closer to being Crazy, in some way, than Righty's, no matter what else we are good at.😄

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant to say that I eat, write, Shoot Pool,play Guitar as a Lefty. I was also told that Lefty's are one step closer to being Crazy, in some way, than Righty's, no matter what else we are good at.😄

That statement is incorrect - my ex-wife is a righty.