Local Legends

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oops!

Oliver Ortmann absolutely did beat Steve Mizerak on December 1st, 1989 in a rather slow 200 march. Thanks, I will correct the typo.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Oliver Ortmann absolutely did beat Steve Mizerak on December 1st, 1989 in a rather slow 200 march. Thanks, I will correct the typo.

They weren't all that slow themselves, but both missed an awful lot, and took the whole thing to 200-186, almost "enjoying it to the fullest" as we sometimes say jokingly, if memory serves right…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

fishpool

USSA Board
I realize this is a 12 year old post, but I just came upon it in researching my 1964 BRPAA WC 14.1 Program in my billiard memorabilia collection. Some observations to the posts came to mind (I don't post often, but I couldn't help myself here):
1). I possess a xeroxed document containing the signatures of many witnesses validating Michael Eufemia's 625 ball run. It occurred on Feb. 2, 1960 at the Logan Billiard Academy in Brooklyn, NY. Unlike the recent John Schmidt and Jason Shaw high runs, Eufemia also did this run in an exhibition match - beating a Michael Aherne 625-3 ! I also possess a xeroxed copy of his bio [in 4 volumes] (gained from his widow by a friend of mine who made a few copies and gifted one to me in the early 1990s). It may have been compiled before 1960, as it makes a mention of many of his high runs (in the 500s and less), but makes no mention of the 625.
2). RE: Jack Colavita - I witnessed him playing in US Open 14.1s, but I especially remember seeing him featured prominently in the movie "The Player" [ca. 1971-72] starring Minnesota Fats. Some friends have suggested the movie was never released, but I can confirm in college I bicycled down to a downtown St. Louis movie theater to enjoy the movie [DEFINITELY a B movie!] on one night of the 1-week run for the movie. I also possess the movie poster and movie promotional photos. I actually called Jack Colavita in the early 1980s in search of a copy of the movie, but he did not have one nor could direct me to a source. A few years back, I could find no evidence of a copy of the movie in any media...BUT I now find you can watch the whole movie if you google it and watch it on youtube!!!! I seem to recall Fats does not appear in many scenes of the movie.
3). I first met (and befriended) Jeanette Lee at her first pro tournament (at Romine's in Milwaukee) in 1991. Knowledgeable of great players historically and knowing she was from Queens, NY, I asked her at one of our meals if she knew Gene Nagy. Her facial expression was one of astonishment as she was shocked that someone outside NY knew of Gene Nagy. It probably confirmed to her that stories he had related to her and his reputation were truly recognized on a national level. She related her sessions in NY with Gene and her close relationship with this billiard genius. She informed me that he would bicycle from his home to the room almost daily. I don't think he had a driver's license (not that you need one in NYC). Nagy...a true artist.
4). I never watched Ervolino play, but I saw him at tournaments in his later years and clearly remember that raspy voice.

I'm like most of you here who love old pool stories of the national legends...AND the local legends. It's fun to become an old man like me who's been involved in the sport over 50 years and realizes and enjoys just how many experiences this great sport has provided. Cheers to you all who posted! - John Lewis

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I realize this is a 12 year old post, but I just came upon it in researching my 1964 BRPAA WC 14.1 Program in my billiard memorabilia collection. Some observations to the posts came to mind (I don't post often, but I couldn't help myself here):
1). I possess a xeroxed document containing the signatures of many witnesses validating Michael Eufemia's 625 ball run. It occurred on Feb. 2, 1960 at the Logan Billiard Academy in Brooklyn, NY. Unlike the recent John Schmidt and Jason Shaw high runs, Eufemia also did this run in an exhibition match - beating a Michael Aherne 625-3 ! I also possess a xeroxed copy of his bio [in 4 volumes] (gained from his widow by a friend of mine who made a few copies and gifted one to me in the early 1990s). It may have been compiled before 1960, as it makes a mention of many of his high runs (in the 500s and less), but makes no mention of the 625.
2). RE: Jack Colavita - I witnessed him playing in US Open 14.1s, but I especially remember seeing him featured prominently in the movie "The Player" [ca. 1971-72] starring Minnesota Fats. Some friends have suggested the movie was never released, but I can confirm in college I bicycled down to a downtown St. Louis movie theater to enjoy the movie [DEFINITELY a B movie!] on one night of the 1-week run for the movie. I also possess the movie poster and movie promotional photos. I actually called Jack Colavita in the early 1980s in search of a copy of the movie, but he did not have one nor could direct me to a source. A few years back, I could find no evidence of a copy of the movie in any media...BUT I now find you can watch the whole movie if you google it and watch it on youtube!!!! I seem to recall Fats does not appear in many scenes of the movie.
3). I first met (and befriended) Jeanette Lee at her first pro tournament (at Romine's in Milwaukee) in 1991. Knowledgeable of great players historically and knowing she was from Queens, NY, I asked her at one of our meals if she knew Gene Nagy. Her facial expression was one of astonishment as she was shocked that someone outside NY knew of Gene Nagy. It probably confirmed to her that stories he had related to her and his reputation were truly recognized on a national level. She related her sessions in NY with Gene and her close relationship with this billiard genius. She informed me that he would bicycle from his home to the room almost daily. I don't think he had a driver's license (not that you need one in NYC). Nagy...a true artist.
4). I never watched Ervolino play, but I saw him at tournaments in his later years and clearly remember that raspy voice.

I'm like most of you here who love old pool stories of the national legends...AND the local legends. It's fun to become an old man like me who's been involved in the sport over 50 years and realizes and enjoys just how many experiences this great sport has provided. Cheers to you all who posted! - John Lewis
They recently found that movie (earlier this year):