but also admire the concept-
typically, the longer race truly shows the better player
anybody can win a short race, etc.
so
what format/length really tips the better player
but without eating up the whole weekend

pick your game- 1p, 8, 9, 10, 14.1...
how long is long enough?
I prefer medium length race like from 7 to 9 games, two of three sets. If it goes to a third set must win by 2. This can be played single elimination.

I played in a tournament like that in Holland, over 200 players and it went smooth. It moves along because half the field is gone every round.

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Tournaments or exhibitions matches, they are typically short races, or race to 20 something, best out of 5, etc. In all the big gambling matches that I have ever been involved in, both the players AND the backers all want long races. They want to make sure to show who is truly the better player and don't want to risk their money on the luck factors of short races.

2 perfect examples are matches coming up: Shane VanBoening vs. Dennis Orcollo and Alex Pagulyan vs. Tony Chohan. Both matches are very long races (Alex/Tony is 4 days long), and there's a lot of money in the middle. The players and backers want to see who's truly better

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are 2 main kinds of people that watch pool.

1. Those that want to see two great players compete.
2. Those that enjoy watching races to 100+

Pretty sure all of us fall into category 1, but not into category 2.

It would be great if streamers/players could pick a format that both types of viewers would enjoy.

As far as longer races determining the better player. Maybe. If Shane loses to Dennis, that'll be 3 in a row, and I bet there will still be some people that say Shane is the better player.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
agree with some guff about long races being too long
but also admire the concept-
typically, the longer race truly shows the better player
anybody can win a short race, etc.
so
what format/length really tips the better player
but without eating up the whole weekend

pick your game- 1p, 8, 9, 10, 14.1...
how long is long enough?
Much rather watch a match(talking rotation) consisting of say, 2 out of 3 or 3/5 races to 20-25games. Not a fan of these 100+ deals.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are 2 main kinds of people that watch pool.

1. Those that want to see two great players compete.
2. Those that enjoy watching races to 100+

Pretty sure all of us fall into category 1, but not into category 2.

It would be great if streamers/players could pick a format that both types of viewers would enjoy.

As far as longer races determining the better player. Maybe. If Shane loses to Dennis, that'll be 3 in a row, and I bet there will still be some people that say Shane is the better player.
yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Shane win the first 2 or 3 times they played races to 100 or more, one of them was a really bad beat down too, something close to 40 games...