Longer Predator Shaft

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I just received a Predator shaft on Ebay, made by Capone that fits my Dayton.

Only problem is, the shaft is longer than the standard 29 inches; I would say it's 29.5 if not 30 inches.

My question is: how will this affect the hit of the shaft? Will it be too whippy?

And more importantly, can I have this fixed by a cuemaker? Can he make the shaft shorter while preserving the ringwork?

Thanks,
Roger

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
long

buddha162 said:
Hello,

I just received a Predator shaft on Ebay, made by Capone that fits my Dayton.

Only problem is, the shaft is longer than the standard 29 inches; I would say it's 29.5 if not 30 inches.

My question is: how will this affect the hit of the shaft? Will it be too whippy?

And more importantly, can I have this fixed by a cuemaker? Can he make the shaft shorter while preserving the ringwork?

Thanks,
Roger

Hi Rodger, the shaft size comes in to play with a longer cue and the possibility of it being whippy. If it's a small shaft, sure it's going to have a little more whip to it. What is the MM size now? The extra inch will not hurt if it's around 13 mm. It can be shortened easily, by a qualified repairman. I'll shorten it for you if you want. $50.00 bucks. A standard new ferrule,with standard tip, and cut a new tennon .Just let me know?
blud

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Blud,

Thanks for the response.

The problem is, this is a Predator shaft, so I'm pretty sure any shortening needs to be from the thread-end, not the ferrule end.

The shaft is @ 12.75 mm, though I haven't whipped out my calipers to measure. That's the standard factory mm of all Predators, but god knows what they really are. It feels like somewhere between 12.75 and 13.00.

Thanks,
Roger

blud said:
Hi Rodger, the shaft size comes in to play with a longer cue and the possibility of it being whippy. If it's a small shaft, sure it's going to have a little more whip to it. What is the MM size now? The extra inch will not hurt if it's around 13 mm. It can be shortened easily, by a qualified repairman. I'll shorten it for you if you want. $50.00 bucks. A standard new ferrule,with standard tip, and cut a new tennon .Just let me know?
blud

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger:
If you need it shorter, send it to me. I have Predator ferrules and their permission to repair their shafts.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike, it's good to know that there is a definite solution to my problem.

I'm going to play with the shaft for a bit and see if it's really whippy. If I can't take it I'll send you a PM.

Take care,
Roger