Making a set challenging?

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Ok, i tried this the other nite, when playing a lady friend, while we was just playing for fun, we tend to play very tough against each other.

So after we had gotten down playing 8ball, we was to play a couple sets of 9ball, and when i racked, i cleared the scores and gave her 4games on the wire.

When she came back to the table, she asked what the 4games was about and i told her, well needless to say she got really pissy about it, lol.

Now she understood what i was doing, i was giving myself a challenge, since this girl ( Lisa ) and myself basically play even. I did make it 4-4 after the first 4 games, and of course then ( Lisa) basically told me i wasnt going to win lol.

And of course i didnt lol. I think i lost something like 9-6, and the second set basically went the same way.

When i think of doing something like this, i remember back to last spring, when i first got back into playing, one of the good shooters would do something similar to me, giving me like 7 or 9 games on the wire, in a race to 18.

And when i asked him why he would give me such a lead, when i just wanted to play straight up. He told me its because, He hasta make every shot count, because if he happens to miss on the a ball with only 3 or 4 balls left on the table, its basically game over.

Now we never played for money, but it was always a good challenge for me since i was consider'd a newbie, to everyone at the pool hall.

does anyone else play this way with newbie's ???

chalkisfree

Registered
Handicapping is a great way to even up the game when playing with a newbie, but unfortunately a lot of newbies have an unrealistic amount of pride attached to their game. So then you don't give 'em weight, slaughter them, and they don't play you anymore. BUT if you play for something, say lunch, the newbie might be more willing to take the spot.

StormHotRod300 said:
Ok, i tried this the other nite, when playing a lady friend, while we was just playing for fun, we tend to play very tough against each other.

So after we had gotten down playing 8ball, we was to play a couple sets of 9ball, and when i racked, i cleared the scores and gave her 4games on the wire.

When she came back to the table, she asked what the 4games was about and i told her, well needless to say she got really pissy about it, lol.

Now she understood what i was doing, i was giving myself a challenge, since this girl ( Lisa ) and myself basically play even. I did make it 4-4 after the first 4 games, and of course then ( Lisa) basically told me i wasnt going to win lol.

And of course i didnt lol. I think i lost something like 9-6, and the second set basically went the same way.

When i think of doing something like this, i remember back to last spring, when i first got back into playing, one of the good shooters would do something similar to me, giving me like 7 or 9 games on the wire, in a race to 18.

And when i asked him why he would give me such a lead, when i just wanted to play straight up. He told me its because, He hasta make every shot count, because if he happens to miss on the a ball with only 3 or 4 balls left on the table, its basically game over.

Now we never played for money, but it was always a good challenge for me since i was consider'd a newbie, to everyone at the pool hall.

does anyone else play this way with newbie's ???

LMAO....hell no! Newbies are for one thing and one thing only....take their money until they run out of it or learn how to play. How else can THEY learn how to play...right TEACH? You're doing both of you a disservice.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Games "On The Wire" is the ONLY true spot.

That is what I do at the pool room - because -
It makes me play harder.
It is the easiest to adjust as the novice improves.
Most other spots are meaningless if the better player is running out anyway.
I also use this when I need a spot.

TY & GL

lukeinva

Banned
I played one guy for money cause he wanted to play and I drilled him ( I was nice I let him buy out for half!!) the whole time I was trying to spot him and he wouldnt take it. I guess he thought I was trying to belittle him or something I dont know. Or he thought that a win with a spot wasnt the same as beating me straight up?? Who knows?

T

Timberly

chalkisfree said:
Handicapping is a great way to even up the game when playing with a newbie, but unfortunately a lot of newbies have an unrealistic amount of pride attached to their game.
LOL, I have no pride, I'll ALWAYS take weight!! The only thing that ticks me off is for someone to "take it easy on me". Unless I'm knocking 'em around with a champion, I want their best game. Their best will make me play my best. I've got a few friends that could slaughter me regardless of the spot... when I shoot with them, I make the rules as we go :D

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Luke,

i do know a couple guys like the one you mention'd who are either too stubborn, or think they play better than they actually do, and refuse to take any type of weight.

Now while i may not be a great player, i hold my own. And normally when i run into these types of players, i basically end up drilling them all day long, unless i miss on the 8ball or something weird happens.

Thats another thing i cant stand, is when your playing someone who plays better and they are Taking it easy on you. Its like WTF. Now most of the time i rarely ever play those guys for $$$ but i still want thier best game, i dont care if i lose 9-1 or 9-0.

lukeinva

Banned
StormHotRod300 said:
Luke,

i do know a couple guys like the one you mention'd who are either too stubborn, or think they play better than they actually do, and refuse to take any type of weight.

Now while i may not be a great player, i hold my own. And normally when i run into these types of players, i basically end up drilling them all day long, unless i miss on the 8ball or something weird happens.

Thats another thing i cant stand, is when your playing someone who plays better and they are Taking it easy on you. Its like WTF. Now most of the time i rarely ever play those guys for $$$ but i still want thier best game, i dont care if i lose 9-1 or 9-0.

What I cant stand is when your playing some one for fun you miss a shot and there like oh yeah thanks for taking it easy on me!! After I just ran a rack or something they think I miss on purpose to get them to bet!! I am like man I cant make every frickin shot!! Give me a break!!

chalkisfree

Registered
Timberly said:
LOL, I have no pride, I'll ALWAYS take weight!! The only thing that ticks me off is for someone to "take it easy on me". Unless I'm knocking 'em around with a champion, I want their best game. Their best will make me play my best. I've got a few friends that could slaughter me regardless of the spot... when I shoot with them, I make the rules as we go :D
Heck yeah, I'll take weight too. There are a lot of times when I need to give it, but on the other hand there are a lot of times when I need it! :) About getting someone's best game - I feel this kinda ties in with that other thread about not playing your best game without gambling (I think you posted on it). I know it was a heated debate, but I'm on the side for gambling, as long as it doesn't get out of control and friends stay friends. If I don't play for something, I REALLY have to dig deep to bring out my best game. I have to imagine my wife (who I love deeply...sob sob) teetering at the edge of a cliff with an evil villain ready to push her over if I miss the next shot. Is that a little too freaky? Anyway, that seems to do the trick, but I'd rather gamble :D .

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I dont mind giving weight, when its seriously needed, but the problem with everyone in my area, is that the moment you give someone the 7ball or 8ball they are gunning for that slop crap 100% to try to get the easy win. And dont even bother to try to run a few balls and get to the wild ball.

Now as for playing for money with friends, I usta do it with the girl i mention'd ( Lisa ) but normally we ended up at each others throats lol. Because she would ask for the 8ball, and if i was having a good day, it would be the 7/8ball, or and of course i swear to GOD i would hang the wild ball in the pocket everytime or scratch or something would happen so she would have a easy shot and win.

Or sometimes she would get cocky and tell me we are going to play even, and i would stomp her for several sets and she would get all pissy.

So needless to say we have made an agreement to never play each other for money again lol.

Now as for thinking about your wife being held teetering on the edge of a cliff, thats kinda weird lol.

With alot of my friends, we just give each other crap endlessly when we play, expecially if one of us loses really badly.

For example, i was playing a friend APA 9ball style using points, and he kills me 38 to 13 on a 9ft table, basically breaking and running to the 7 or 8 ball everytime. And he still dogs me about it, and it happend like over a month ago lol.

chalkisfree

Registered
StormHotRod300 said:
I dont mind giving weight, when its seriously needed, but the problem with everyone in my area, is that the moment you give someone the 7ball or 8ball they are gunning for that slop crap 100% to try to get the easy win. And dont even bother to try to run a few balls and get to the wild ball.

Now as for playing for money with friends, I usta do it with the girl i mention'd ( Lisa ) but normally we ended up at each others throats lol. Because she would ask for the 8ball, and if i was having a good day, it would be the 7/8ball, or and of course i swear to GOD i would hang the wild ball in the pocket everytime or scratch or something would happen so she would have a easy shot and win.

Or sometimes she would get cocky and tell me we are going to play even, and i would stomp her for several sets and she would get all pissy.

So needless to say we have made an agreement to never play each other for money again lol.

Now as for thinking about your wife being held teetering on the edge of a cliff, thats kinda weird lol.

With alot of my friends, we just give each other crap endlessly when we play, expecially if one of us loses really badly.

For example, i was playing a friend APA 9ball style using points, and he kills me 38 to 13 on a 9ft table, basically breaking and running to the 7 or 8 ball everytime. And he still dogs me about it, and it happend like over a month ago lol.
Games on the wire eliminates most of the slop.

Hey, instead of playing for money, you and Lisa can do like me and my wife - play for favors ;) OK, get your head out of the gutter. If you lose you actually have to go shopping with her and not get dropped off at the Sears tool section! If you win, she has to wash your car. Funny thing - after a few of these non-Sears shopping trips, that vision of her at the edge of a cliff gets clearer and clearer... :D

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Tempting,,, I had thought about playing for like say Dinner, or Lunch, winner gets to pick the restaurant a reasonable one! Now having her ( Lisa ) wash my car would be NICE since she is a cutie :) And of course i wouldnt mind going shopping with her, cuz i would be like,,, so when are we going to Victoria Secrets?????

But i will bring that up next time i play her,

dave

lukeinva

Banned
StormHotRod300 said:
Tempting,,, I had thought about playing for like say Dinner, or Lunch, winner gets to pick the restaurant a reasonable one! Now having her ( Lisa ) wash my car would be NICE since she is a cutie :) And of course i wouldnt mind going shopping with her, cuz i would be like,,, so when are we going to Victoria Secrets?????

But i will bring that up next time i play her,

dave

Tell her you will play her to wash your car but she has to be in a bikini!!!