Mandatory Evacuation

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Living on the water and facing hurricane Charley, we have been ordered to evacuate. It's tough trying to figure out what so save from a lifetime and generations of family 'stuff'. I hope to be back online after the storm passes, if we have a home left to return to.
I've been through a dozen hurricanes, including some very serious ones and never had to evacuate (though we 'should' have twice), but the circumstances are different for this one..
Please don't feel the need to reply to this post. I don't want to start a 'well wishes' and 'prayers' thread.
I'll see you folks on the flip side.. imo

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Doug,

Althoug you may not think so, the MOST IMPORTANT stuff is YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, pets included. Go for the pictures you can save and be safe!!

Get back online when you can and we'll be praying for you and all the Floridians getting hit by the storms.

Take care!!! Be safe!!

Barbara

Smorgass Bored said:
Living on the water and facing hurricane Charley, we have been ordered to evacuate. It's tough trying to figure out what so save from a lifetime and generations of family 'stuff'. I hope to be back online after the storm passes, if we have a home left to return to.
I've been through a dozen hurricanes, including some very serious ones and never had to evacuate (though we 'should' have twice), but the circumstances are different for this one..
Please don't feel the need to reply to this post. I don't want to start a 'well wishes' and 'prayers' thread.

Purdman

Banned
Best of Luck

Get your loved ones and go. We will see ya when ya get back home. Best wishes.
Purdman :(

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rock on

Hey Doug,

been there done that same thing. City hall tells us what to do with storms and such. They don't always know best, but we do as they say and maybe save a few lives. All the best to you and your family.
Janice and leonard

XzyluM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have quiet a few friends in another hobby from FL and that have been saying how bad everything seems right now. Hope their isn't any major damage to them or to your family. Wish everyone in FL the best.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Aren't there two hurricanes nearby Florida ? Don't know about their predicted path, but I guess they both are some kind of a threat to FL area. My friend's aunt lives West Palm Beach during winters and she have told a few stories about hurricanes in the area...

Hope they unleash the energy at sea and spare the infrastructure on land.

Take care, Doug.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:

I feel for you. I'm in Central Florida and not in as much danger as the coastal areas but I'm still preparing for the worst. Just remember that I have a fridge full of beer and a pool table in my house if you come up towards Mt. Dora.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheers,smorgass Bored,
wish u & your family for safety.I was in similar stuation years ago.
Vagabond

hustlefinger

Silver Member
I would invite you over to this side of the state, but I heard your beer consumption exceeds our household budget.

Drive safe and take care.
Rick

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
mjantti said:
Aren't there two hurricanes nearby Florida ?

One is only in the tropical storm category. Those are really no big deal high winds, maybe some flooding, nothing all that dangerous.

Don't know about their predicted path, but I guess they both are some kind of a threat to FL area. My friend's aunt lives West Palm Beach during winters and she have told a few stories about hurricanes in the area...

Hope they unleash the energy at sea and spare the infrastructure on land.

Actually they build energy at sea unless they run into cold water like when they come up the east coast. The warm South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico is the womb of tropical storms and hurricanes. Usually they lose a lot of energy (relatively speaking) quickly as they move inland, the biggest danger is at the coast (like Doug) because the storm is at it's strongest and because of the extreme high tides and "storm surge".
I'm sure Smorg will be fine, he is too cantankerous to be bothered by a hurricane. Even the likelihood that his property will be damaged is probably not high, but you don't want to be there if it is.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Murray Tucker said:
... Just remember that I have a fridge full of beer and a pool table in my house if you come up towards Mt. Dora.

He might never leave if you keep that fridge full. :D

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Good luck, Doug.
Went thru a few of them here and only the first one was fun.
(before the fact)
Take care of your family and the rest will take care of itself.
If you feel like traveling you are always welcome to stay here for a while.

Bill O

at the 5 ball
Silver Member
Water water everywhere

Don't worry about your stuff, it's all on the second floor anyway. Take Barbara and your cues to Planet 9 ball, tell Kenny to meet you there and wait it out playing some one pocket.
Bill O - whose relatives probably drove to Tennesee two days ago :)

Pelican

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catscradle said:
Usually they lose a lot of energy (relatively speaking) quickly as they move inland, the biggest danger is at the coast (like Doug) because the storm is at it's strongest and because of the extreme high tides and "storm surge"

Actually, as the tropical mass moves inland a lot of folks get in trouble (some die) because of heavy rain causing generalized flooding of rivers and streams. We had houses that were 15 feet above normal river level on Fish River be washed out and some away by flood waters that tried to rush out of the Weeks bay basin area. The thing I have always feared about hurricanes is the tornadoes they spawn. Worst I've seen was Camille (cat 5) and we were far enough east to get out pretty good. Lots of flooding and trees down. Took a direct hit from Frederic (Cat 4). Twern't no fun. Pecan orchards really took a beating. Did wonders for the roofing business. A lot of times smaller cat1 and 2 stoms that are heavy in moisture cause more property damage than dryer high wind storms. Down here new construction has to be at 140mph rating if within a certain distance of the Gulf.

Keep the cues dry smorg. Y'all stay safe, Pel

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
I just spoke with a friend at Disney, the RV Park has been evacuated and the corporate head quarters and larger hotel hotels are next.

Hope for all's safe return to their homes.