marking rails with chalk

a9ballbr8k

Don't anger my stakehorse
Silver Member
ky8andout said:
Ginky,
Just a quick question for you. I was watching a sudden death 7 ball match on ESPN yesterday from 2000. You were playing Mika. On one shot, you were looking at where you wanted the cue ball to come off the second rail and placed your chalk cube down there. Hopkins made a comment about it, but acted like it was a normal technique. I am a B player and had never thought of doing this. That got me to wondering if it was considered acceptable so I did a thread search on here and found out that many people consider it cheating. Now if you weren't doing that on purpose, and it is considered inappropriate, then I definitely apologize. I am just curious, because it seemed that on many shots after that, your rail contact points had a piece of chalk by them. It could have been all coincidence. I was just wondering if this is something common among the pros if the rules don't state otherwise. I don't mean marking a spot on the rail for banks and kicks, I mean for a rail target while playing position. Again, if this was coincidence, I apologize. I noticed the BCA rules stated you couldn't place a cube on the rail to help with aiming, but that would be up for debate if thinking about cue ball placement is considered part of aiming.

I have always thought that you have been a perfect gentleman on the few occasions that I have seen you on tv, and at the DCC once. I just wanted a pros perspective on this issue.

Thanks

I just watched that last night and noticed the same thing. What a wonderfull ideal. Don't see why it would be illegal its just a marker for position and not for aiming.

breakin8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is not legal. I do it all the time on the sly. Almost sure of that.:) :)

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just read the WPA-rules. It's a foul doing that on purpose. Any marking system is a foul, beside the diamonds on the table. And only if you remove the marking before the shot, it's a legal shot.

themvols

chalk on rails

Where in the rules is this activity regarded as illegal? The player who I play regularly (not tournament play) does this often. Doesn't bother me.
Just want you to cite the specific rule you are referring to.

ky8andout

I'm just checking to see what Ginky's opinion was on this subject. I have used it some, again just for marking rail targets for my cue ball after I make contact with the object ball, and it does help!
Thanks

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
ky8andout said:
I'm just checking to see what Ginky's opinion was on this subject. I have used it some, again just for marking rail targets for my cue ball after I make contact with the object ball, and it does help!
Thanks
the only reason i would leave my chalk cube there is after i was chalking my cue. I dont need to mark rails to win. And i probably hadnt payed attention. Maybe i was standing on that side of the table... but i dont care if someone marks the rail. Doesnt matter what the player does to prepare for his or her shot, if your a good enough player, you wont let that annoy you. and ky8andout, that is a good method of practice. marking the rail targets while practicing will help you improve. so yes you can use it when practicing. it is illegal to intentionally use it during a tournament.

Last edited:

ky8andout

Ginky,
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't have ever noticed if Hopkins hadn't made a comment about it. I watched it the other day, and it was pretty obvious that it just happened to be the side of the table you were standing on. I apologize if my question seemed out of line to any of the other readers or to you. I appreciate your advice. I have found that if I take a dime-sized piece of bright paper where I want the cue ball to stop, it forces me to focus on the cue ball and my game goes way up. I remember meeting you at the DCC back in 99? the year that you won the 9-ball against Dee Adkins. You were extremely friendly and told me a joke about a cop smacking a driver(or maybe passenger???) before he drove off...........:) I won't tell the punch line and ruin it for anybody.

Leave long and prosper,
KY8andout

halhoule

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It Was Definately Against The Rules By Placing The Chalk On The Rail When Aiming Rail Points.