Maryland Straight Pool Tournament on AZ Home Page

bizboy313

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I logged onto azbilliards today and saw the notice about the MD. Straight Pool tournament this weekend. I thought it was very nice for them to give a spotlight to this great event and bring awareness to the great game of straight pool. Here is my problem though: they put a picture of Jeanette Lee both on the home page and on the Independent Event page. Not to disrespect Jeanette Lee, but this tournament is STACKED with straight pool talent. Grady Matthews, Thorsten Hohmann, Mika Immonen, Ginky, Danny Harriman, last year's champ Bob Maidhof, Danny Barouty, etc, all big names in the game of straight pool. I understand how they wanna market it with Jeanette Lee and i know she plays a decent game of straight pool but for sure she doesn't have the pedigree of many of these other great champions that I feel should be the face of this event. I think AZ is making a mistake because if I didn't know what this tournament was about already, I wouldn't have clicked on the link to the story with a pic of Jeanette Lee on the front. Anyone else have any thoughts?

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I logged onto azbilliards today and saw the notice about the MD. Straight Pool tournament this weekend. I thought it was very nice for them to give a spotlight to this great event and bring awareness to the great game of straight pool. Here is my problem though: they put a picture of Jeanette Lee both on the home page and on the Independent Event page. Not to disrespect Jeanette Lee, but this tournament is STACKED with straight pool talent. Grady Matthews, Thorsten Hohmann, Mika Immonen, Ginky, Danny Harriman, last year's champ Bob Maidhof, Danny Barouty, etc, all big names in the game of straight pool. I understand how they wanna market it with Jeanette Lee and i know she plays a decent game of straight pool but for sure she doesn't have the pedigree of many of these other great champions that I feel should be the face of this event. I think AZ is making a mistake because if I didn't know what this tournament was about already, I wouldn't have clicked on the link to the story with a pic of Jeanette Lee on the front. Anyone else have any thoughts?

although I can appreciate your take on the photos, they were chosen because they were a couple of the better photos provided to the site from the tournament director (and chosen by myself since she was one of only a couple female participants). the event will (unless something changes between now and this weekend) be covered (brackets included) by myself and the "other" players that you mention I have no doubt will become the headliners along the way.....the event will showcase many great players and that was the reason for taking the time to publicize it. I hope that others will see that the intent of the writeup was to get the word out about the event and not to make it the Jeanette Lee show.

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
Thorsten and Mika aren't playing this year. The list of players in the article is of players that have previously played in the event. Not all of them are playing this year.

If you're marketing a pool tournament Jeanette is the way to go. She has a bigger following than the rest of the field put together.