Masse shots and trick shots, what cue to use.

smokey777

Lock on
Silver Member
Hey guys I cant figure out what cue to use for masse trick shots. which ones get the best spin speed.

The kind of cues used to do these kind of tricks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsFF23RiJU

Ive seen them done with normal shooting cues, break cues, walmart cues, Jump cues with phenolic tips (seem to get pretty decent results)

yes im aware that there are masse cues made for the purpose, but I would like to avoided getting one as they are quite rare.

what gives you the best results?

Gogafem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy in the video - Florian Kohler has his own masse cue model from Mezz which is available for purchase and costs over 1000$...
For a Masse cue I think it should be heavy. My break cue can give positive results for semi-masses(Non full ones), though the drawback is the phenolic tip. I am not sure but I think a soft tip would be better(The cue from Mezz I mentioned has an Elkmaster). With my playing cue I also do Masses and full masses as well. It's a lot about technique, but it would be awesome to have that Mezz Masse cue =P...

smokey777

Lock on
Silver Member
can you do masse shots with a jump cue that has a phenolic tip or a jup cue with a regular tip? im really new to this

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless your jump cue weighs about 30 ounces, I'd get a masse cue. You can use a playing cue, but you need the magic/monster stroke to do some of those shots.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would probably need to contact a cuemaker.

I'd suggest getting a cue and loading it up with weights. You could probably get around 25-26 ounces in a playing cue.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless your jump cue weighs about 30 ounces, I'd get a masse cue. You can use a playing cue, but you need the magic/monster stroke to do some of those shots.

If so, I'd recommend a new jump cue.

1hit1der

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A dedicated masse cue will make it easier to impart the spin needed to still 'take' after the cue ball slides a great distance. Masse cues are typically shorter and stiffer than regular cues. The balance point is also more forward, closer to the joint, making them easier to control. While there are masse cues upwards of 30oz, I play with masse cues around 19-21oz, which are easier for me to control. You can see some of my shots at http://www.trickshottim.com/trick-shot-index.php?cat=Masse

A leather tip works best, so it can grip the cue ball.

I think there are still Eric Yow masse cues on ebay for $250. Andy Segal also has them in his line, but I'm not sure how much they cost. Schuler also had a production model.