Matchroom 2024 World Pool Masters (25-28 April), Germany, Winner $40K

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Emily talks about pool school for the players. They need to send their camera crews and stats people to school at Accu Stats.

Q school isn't a pool school.. q stands for qualifying, same as in golf any many other tour sports, where it's also called q school

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Q school isn't a pool school.. q stands for qualifying, same as in golf any many other tour sports, where it's also called q school
Well that’s nice. As stated in the reply you quoted, MR needs to send their camera crews and post production people to Accu Stats to learn how to properly film a match and do post production work because they’re not very good at it.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone noticed they were playing the song "nineball" by Zack Bryan during the post match festivities. I guess MR doesn't mind a song about the dark, sleazy side of pool. :ROFLMAO:

For those unfamiliar, there is a whole thread here about it, but the gist is a dad teaches his straight shooting son to gamble and win money for him playing pool.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, how cool is that poster?

As for Biado, his current WNT ranking is #22. His omission is within reason, although he wouldn't look out of place in this field. Yes, he won the World 10-ball, but that's not a credential in the world of Matchroom Pool. Do we know for a fact that he wasn't invited?

It's a very strong field and will take a fine effort to snap it off.
I thought he would be one on the two invites he may have turned it down. He for sure is a threat in this field, not the favorite but he could win it. If they played 15 ball rotation I take him.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If they really want viewership they need to improve camera work and more importantly figure out post production as well. As per their standard M.O. Matchroom put up video of the final on their YouTube channel last night, a lousy chopped up highlight reel. It seems Emily can’t quite grasp that people want to see the whole match from the lag until the final ball sunk.
No, it seems that you can't grasp that if you want something that has value, you need to pay for it.

Jaden

^^^^watched it live on Dazn

Fed up with Matchroom's poor camera work. Constant switching between cameras in clutch moments just means that the viewers are gonna be confused and miss out on a lot of key stuff.

Prime example of this being when Jayson Shaw fluked the 9 ball for 9-8.
Using the dead center long axis of the table camera angle 90% of the time that gives the table the dimensions of a square on the screen is weak and lazy. On par with 50 yard line or scrimmage line or center court/ice from two levels up, 20 yards from the sideline, removing all depth angles. The camera could be literally anywhere, in all three dimensions. Cameras could be on a ring, 4 feet above the table within a couple feet of the edge. Would be miles better viewing.

Colonel

Silver Member
No, it seems that you can't grasp that if you want something that has value, you need to pay for it.

Jaden

^^^^watched it live on Dazn
Their finished product doesn’t have value worth purchasing. Your mileage may vary

Flakeandrun

Well that’s nice. As stated in the reply you quoted, MR needs to send their camera crews and post production people to Accu Stats to learn how to properly film a match and do post production work because they’re not very good at it.
But they're only partly trying to please you. They are also trying to please the wives and children who have to sit through dad watching it. They are trying to make it a soap opera to reach audiences outside of the 'norm' or dedicated pool enthusiast. It's a bit like t20 cricket (or 'the hundred' in the UK).
So the production is going to be about picking catchy songs, even finding an anthem (which I have noticed them trying so hard to do). It's going to be about face shots and fist-pumps. Falsified (and sometimes real) grudges a'la Gorst v Shaw. It's why 128 players have been professionally rostered and ranked with annual contracts...

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I thought he would be one on the two invites he may have turned it down. He for sure is a threat in this field, not the favorite but he could win it. If they played 15 ball rotation I take him.
Ignoring Matchroom's rankings...it pretty much went down Fargo lines. Mr. Biado would be even money to get to the Semi's.

1714433658792.png

Colonel

Silver Member
But they're only partly trying to please you. They are also trying to please the wives and children who have to sit through dad watching it. They are trying to make it a soap opera to reach audiences outside of the 'norm' or dedicated pool enthusiast. It's a bit like t20 cricket (or 'the hundred' in the UK).
So the production is going to be about picking catchy songs, even finding an anthem (which I have noticed them trying so hard to do). It's going to be about face shots and fist-pumps. Falsified (and sometimes real) grudges a'la Gorst v Shaw. It's why 128 players have been professionally rostered and ranked with annual contracts...
Well then, how long before “fixed matches” to help build the “drama”? I’d rather see pool limp along like it has forever than see it turn into pro wrestling.

CanadianGuy

correct, MR is not focusing on the small sliver of people who frequent this forum which for the most part do not have the business acumen to understand this level of scaling

they will make errors here and there no doubt yet they are on the verge of expanding the pro game to heights that can exceed pro snooker

the Saudi money will be key and British sports have embraced said monies without much of the backlash we have seen here around its political implications

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Their finished product doesn’t have value worth purchasing. Your mileage may vary
You admittedly didn't see their finished product since you were watching it on youtube. You watched exactly what they said it was, a highlight reel.

Jaden