Mazin Shooni's USBA tourney this weekend

1pocket

Steve Booth
Silver Member
I didn't see another thread about this, so I thought I would open one. I live fairly nearby and will be there Friday and Sunday to spectate and photograph this tourney for Mazin. From my understanding he expects to have four national champions (one being himself). With just two tables, I believe the field is going to be limited to either 12 or 14, format two prelim flight round robin groups, and top players from the prelims advance to a final round robin.

My facts might be a little sketchy because of course I am mainly a one pocket player, but I am very curious about 3C and am really looking forward to the weekend. His room is an intimate little room, clean and well maintained, with very friendly staff too, so come on down and please introduce yourself -- I'll be the guy with the DSLR Nikon :smile:
 
1pocket, Those are some outstanding pictures! Rep coming your way. How the pool room? Thanks Steve for sharing and let us see some more picture and the winner.
Bob Watson
 
billiardshot said:
1pocket, Those are some outstanding pictures! Rep coming your way. How the pool room? Thanks Steve for sharing and let us see some more picture and the winner.
Bob Watson
I could not go yesterday, but will be there for the whole rest of the show, which wraps up today. I did speak with a friend of mine at the room last night, and he told be Sonny Cho is the last remaining undefeated player as of that time. Danny Kolacz from Buffalo, NY tipped Mazin and Miguel Torres back-to-back apparently, so they both have one loss. Danny had picked up one loss Friday at the hands of the Korean, Seong Cheol Kim, who is spending a few weeks or so in the states, taking advantage of this tournament as kind of a tune-up for the Sang Lee, which is coming up soon.
330036277_pwrhL-L-1.jpg

Steve Booth photo -- the gallery is here: 2008 Cue & Cushion Grand Opening tournament

I wonder if Danny used this tip he picked up from Miguel on Friday to beat him on Saturday :smile:

That's Danny standing over Seong Kim and Miguel Torres in the "smoking lounge" outside the back door of the Cue & Cushion.
 
Last edited:
Steve, wasn't it your Birthday yesterday!!! Check Main Forum for Happy Birthday 1pocket. I know we in the Carom Billiard section appreciate the update.
 
I'll get more photos up over the next few days. The final results came down to:
  1. Sonny Cho 8-1
  2. Miguel Torres 7-2
  3. Mazin Shooni 7-2
  4. Dan Kolacz 7-2
Sonny's lone loss came at the hands of Shooni, who had a ten inning game (race to 25).
 
cool pictures.

I am interested in especially Mazin Shooni's results.I have never watched him but I read that he beat Ceulemans and Saygıner in the previous Sang Lee tournaments.Especially his win over Saygıner, increased my interest for him.

regards,

Timur
 
Dan used to post here.

I traded my friends Eddie Robins three cushion book to him a year or two ago. Then he went on to win a qualifier at DCC I think and now this.

Damn he's a quick learner! Nice job!
 
congratulations to Dan Kolacz!

a good pool player previously,I suppose.

I do not think that one can play with like guys Torres,Shooni etc.with the help of borrowed books:)

Regards,

Timur
 
billiardshot said:
latest update from both USBA and ProfessorQBall Magazine on Shooni

http://www.usba.net/2008CueNCushion-7-11.asp

http://www.professorqball.com/displaystory.php?RecordID=488

Don't forget CaromTV for the unlucky one,for SLIO 3C Tournament. Might see some players start practicing as of today. http://caromtv.com/

Steve again Thank for those wonderful 3C picture. I hope other AZers will give to a rep for sharing pictures

thanks Steve for the photos and Thanks billiardshot for the links.

As a side note I have seen on www.caromtv.com that they incorporated High Rock Productions videos to their video on demand/dvd portfolio.The first video is Caudron-Saygıner 2007 Sang Lee Tournment final.I do not think I can stand the pressure of watching it .Saygıner,my countryman, made five blank inning at the last minutes and Caudron caught and beat him 40-39 according to what I read.

Regards,

Timur
 
Thanks for the comments about the pics, I had a lot of fun taking them. After the tourney, Miguel Torres did a little exhibition of masse shots. Man, he had that cue ball running around like a waterbug in all kinds of crazy directions!

332664450_M2aQQ-L.jpg


So, taking all those photos, and then following up with the editing, sorting and uploading was a lot of work, but I kinda got rewarded: I ended up winning one of the raffle cues, and apparently it's a good one, because a couple of the guys in the tourney expressed serious interest :)

With a national champion in my backyard, and now a nice billiard cue of my own, how can I not take up the game? Aside from One Pocket, I would say three cushion is the only game that offers that high level of creative challenge.

Also, I have to say I have been very impressed with the players -- as a community. Very welcoming. Are you all just waiting until I begin to think I can actually play a little, and then you pounce? Or is there just not the same kind of predatory shark hierarchy in billiards as pool?
 
Back
Top