McDermott Defy Tacky

dendweller

I'm trying out a defy shaft. I like the hit a lot.

Problem is, even with a fresh glove it does not slip easily through a closed bridge. I can feel a drag which is a little bothersome.

I'd read that people had issues with the tackiness, I didn't think that would be an issue with a glove. I was wrong.

For anyone that has experience with one, does this improve with usage or does it pretty much stay that way.

Thanks

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying out a defy shaft. I like the hit a lot.

Problem is, even with a fresh glove it does not slip easily through a closed bridge. I can feel a drag which is a little bothersome.

I'd read that people had issues with the tackiness, I didn't think that would be an issue with a glove. I was wrong.

For anyone that has experience with one, does this improve with usage or does it pretty much stay that way.

Thanks
The finish on them was talked about here before by people putting tips on them. I think someone mentioned they were painted black. Try some wax.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From McDermott's website:

Defy carbon fiber shafts have a special finish that contains a slip agent. This helps keep the shaft slick and resists chalk, dirt, and hand oils from soiling the shaft. For peak performance, you may periodically clean the shaft by wiping it down using only water on a lightly damp soft cloth. After the shaft is dry, apply Ultra-Glide Shaft Conditioner with a dry soft cloth to restore the smooth and slick condition. Our Silky Smooth Hand Spray also works great with the Defy shaft. Apply spray to your bridge hand and rub briskly until dry for a friction-free stroke.

As you continue to use the shaft; stroke friction will naturally burnish the shaft, resulting in a visibly smoother appearance. Never sand the surface as this will damage the special finish and void the lifetime warranty. Do not use talcum powder, baby powder, hand chalk, or any solid or liquid abrasives.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hated the one i tried. Felt like an old coated Cuetec to me. Don't know why they didn't finish it like a Revo or a Cuetec. I also don't believe that using one is going to burnish it. CF is unlike wood in this regard.

dendweller

I hated the one i tried. Felt like an old coated Cuetec to me. Don't know why they didn't finish it like a Revo or a Cuetec. I also don't believe that using one is going to burnish it. CF is unlike wood in this regard.
That ultra glide stuff did help the tackiness quite a bit.
And I like the shaft.

It's going back though. The threaded insert is out of control tight. I did the bee wax, NakeBee lip balm etc on the pin. Helped go in but I almost had to call a neighbor to get the stick apart after.

Tried it on 3 different 3/8 10 butts, some older some newer. Same on all 3. Makes me wonder if they can't do looser threads on such a soft material and have it last. In any case, it don't work for me.

PracticeChampion

And I like the shaft.

It's going back though. The threaded insert is out of control tight. I did the bee wax, NakeBee lip balm etc on the pin. Helped go in but I almost had to call a neighbor to get the stick apart after.

Tried it on 3 different 3/8 10 butts, some older some newer. Same on all 3. Makes me wonder if they can't do looser threads on such a soft material and have it last. In any case, it don't work for me.
I got my son one, definitely not slick but plenty slick enough. As far as the threads I had to run a tap thru ours

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I like the shaft.

They could make it easier to thread if they screwed it onto something and saw/felt the problem. Materials other than wood machine differently. I'm pretty sure they grind thier threads. I have 5 taps just for 3/8x10. My first two taps I had made for 3/8x10 had this difference in mind.

dendweller

They could make it easier to thread if they screwed it onto something and saw/felt the problem. Materials other than wood machine differently. I'm pretty sure they grind thier threads. I have 5 taps just for 3/8x10. My first two taps I had made for 3/8x10 had this difference in mind.
Do you think phenolic could be used to replace that threaded section if it was necessary?

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
From McDermott's website:

Defy carbon fiber shafts have a special finish that contains a slip agent. This helps keep the shaft slick and resists chalk, dirt, and hand oils from soiling the shaft. For peak performance, you may periodically clean the shaft by wiping it down using only water on a lightly damp soft cloth. After the shaft is dry, apply Ultra-Glide Shaft Conditioner with a dry soft cloth to restore the smooth and slick condition. Our Silky Smooth Hand Spray also works great with the Defy shaft. Apply spray to your bridge hand and rub briskly until dry for a friction-free stroke.

As you continue to use the shaft; stroke friction will naturally burnish the shaft, resulting in a visibly smoother appearance. Never sand the surface as this will damage the special finish and void the lifetime warranty. Do not use talcum powder, baby powder, hand chalk, or any solid or liquid abrasives.
Looks like they're trying to upsell other products in addition to the shaft

dendweller

Looks like they're trying to upsell other products in addition to the shaft
Yeah, and check out the price of the ultra glide. Between 11 and 15 dollars and it looks like the same size that came with the shaft which I believe is 1 once. To be fair though, I put 2 drops on a cloth and wiped it in and it did a lot for the shaft.

Don't know what the silky smooth hand spray and I'm not planning to find out.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think phenolic could be used to replace that threaded section if it was necessary?
It could if they didn't have a bad rep for the finish they're using on them. A tap would solve the problem. And inspect your joint screw too, it may need to be polished if you see a lot of dirt on the threads.

PracticeChampion

It could if they didn't have a bad rep for the finish they're using on them. A tap would solve the problem. And inspect your joint screw too, it may need to be polished if you see a lot of dirt on the threads.
Ours has a little piece of plastic or glue inside that rattles around occasionally ☹️. I could send it back or just repair it myself alot faster. I was going to use a shouldered juma plug, then re-drill, tap.
You think phenolic is better in this circumstance?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one cue with 3/8-10 and two with radial pins. When I compare the threads the radials look so much nicer. I’ll never buy another cue that doesn’t have a radial pin.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stopped in a place in our area just before Christmas to pick up a tip prick and saw they had some Defy shafts in the case, so asked to look at one as I have 3 Mcdermott cues not being used, that I might want to have a shaft for. I do have a Jacoby Black shaft for use on my Schon cues, and that shaft is incredibly slick, the Defy shaft was not even remotely slick. May be fine with a glove, or using their solution, I don't know, but when a company says you can only clean with water, to me that is an issue. Waxing attracts dirt and chalk dust. I really wanted to try one as not only do I have the three Mcdermott's, but also another cue with a 3/8's x10 modified pin that I was hoping to make it work on. Guess I'll have to wait till I hear how the shaft finish holds up more long term.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stopped in a place in our area just before Christmas to pick up a tip prick and saw they had some Defy shafts in the case, so asked to look at one as I have 3 Mcdermott cues not being used, that I might want to have a shaft for. I do have a Jacoby Black shaft for use on my Schon cues, and that shaft is incredibly slick, the Defy shaft was not even remotely slick. May be fine with a glove, or using their solution, I don't know, but when a company says you can only clean with water, to me that is an issue. Waxing attracts dirt and chalk dust. I really wanted to try one as not only do I have the three Mcdermott's, but also another cue with a 3/8's x10 modified pin that I was hoping to make it work on. Guess I'll have to wait till I hear how the shaft finish holds up more long term.
Agree 100%. I still don't see why they went this route. Revo, Cuetec and others are super smooth/slick compared to this shaft.