McDermott Defy..........

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got to try one today. Played ok but the finish is HORRIBLE. It has a finish that reminded me of the old Cuetec glass coated shafts. I don't see how you could use one without a glove. Very sticky thru your bridge. Compared to all the other cf shafts i've tried it easily comes in last place. If McD would fix the finish they'd have a good product. As is i'd never consider buying one.

Reactions: bbb

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I think they include that cue silk liquid with the defy when you order it. That told me what you experienced. I like the revo the best and heard the hit is completely opposite so that's why I never tried one.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think they include that cue silk liquid with the defy when you order it. That told me what you experienced. I like the revo the best and heard the hit is completely opposite so that's why I never tried one.
Just picked up a Cuetec Cynergy, the finish is silky smooth. I really like it. ;)

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wasn't for me out of the 12 different brands I've tried. Glad you're enjoying it though.
I haven't hit it yet. I do really like the finish. I will give it a try. If I don't care for the hit, I may try a tip change. Here's hoping. 👍

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't hit it yet. I do really like the finish. I will give it a try. If I don't care for the hit, I may try a tip change. Here's hoping. 👍
It's the 15k version. Not sure if the shaft has deviated from the original release.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
It's the 15k version. Not sure if the shaft has deviated from the original release.
Not sure either. Had one of the originals from the week they originally came out. Haven't heard of them making any newer versions except for the added diameters. I wasn't a fan of the tiger tip and changed it out, still didn't help for me. I have bought a ton of new stuff during the quarantine and have about 9 cues, 30 shafts(9 being CF) to try out myself. Going to be weird for sure as I haven't hit a ball in 18 months.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure either. Had one of the originals from the week they originally came out. Haven't heard of them making any newer versions except for the added diameters. I wasn't a fan of the tiger tip and changed it out, still didn't help for me. I have bought a ton of new stuff during the quarantine and have about 9 cues, 30 shafts(9 being CF) to try out myself. Going to be weird for sure as I haven't hit a ball in 18 months.
I have a custom CF shaft that MVP made for me from one of fishermanocuiri's blanks. It matches my MVP/KDP custom cues perfectly, plays really well, and took an accidental blow, that would have rendered a wood shaft, likely useless. If the Cynergy doesn't work out, she will go on down the road. ;)

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I just got to try one today. Played ok but the finish is HORRIBLE. It has a finish that reminded me of the old Cuetec glass coated shafts. I don't see how you could use one without a glove. Very sticky thru your bridge. Compared to all the other cf shafts i've tried it easily comes in last place. If McD would fix the finish they'd have a good product. As is i'd never consider buying one.
Same experience for me. I bought one used this weekend and can't believe how non-smooth the finish is. I think I may sand it and try to get a decent finish on it. I have numerous other CF shafts and this is by far the worst.

On the good side, it seems to have the lowest deflection of all the ones I've owned/tried. I'm very accurate with it.

My biggest issue is the joint. It is very very very tight. Once I finally get it fully into the butt, breaking it loose to separate it can actually take two people.....

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same experience for me. I bought one used this weekend and can't believe how non-smooth the finish is. I think I may sand it and try to get a decent finish on it. I have numerous other CF shafts and this is by far the worst.

On the good side, it seems to have the lowest deflection of all the ones I've owned/tried. I'm very accurate with it.

My biggest issue is the joint. It is very very very tight. Once I finally get it fully into the butt, breaking it loose to separate it can actually take two people.....
Don't sand them. They're painted from the best I can tell.
Cue repair guys have claimed the finish/paint chipped off just holding it with thier shaft collet.
I haven't had any trouble working on them yet.
Be careful!

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Ended up putting it in my lathe and giving it a light polish with 1500, then 3000, and then liquid polish, it is still shiny but now smooth and not "grabby". I also changed out the black navigator tip for a white Kamui which makes the tip much easier to focus on in a dark pool room. Feeling much better about this shaft now, I play fairly well with it.

skiergd011013

my pechauer rogue is the same way. The cf's can and do get sticky. Pechauer recommends cleaning with a microfiber and pledge furniture spray. That really slickens up the shaft.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my pechauer rogue is the same way. The cf's can and do get sticky. Pechauer recommends cleaning with a microfiber and pledge furniture spray. That really slickens up the shaft.
A friend of mine has one of those JP's and did that obsessively. I can tell you that Pledge made the thing horribly sticky after a while. It must build up, so I would use it sparingly.