McDermott I-2 shaft makes a funny sound?

NewGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My I-2 shaft recently started making a funny *klink* sound when I'm hitting long shots that require a little more power. Has anyone else had the same problem? The shaft still plays great and it's very straight. Should I be concerned?

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine does that too. I think it's just the sound that they make. Depending on joint type, ferrule material, shaft characteristics and tip hardness you can get all sorts of sound on that type of shot. Mine does it on every long (table length) shot where I'm drawing the CB. If It were doing it every now and then I'd think something was loose or cross threaded.

Andy

NewGuy said:
My I-2 shaft recently started making a funny *klink* sound when I'm hitting long shots that require a little more power. Has anyone else had the same problem? The shaft still plays great and it's very straight. Should I be concerned?

It seems to do it on a Joss. It you have another 5/16x14 butt from another cue or can borrow a Schon, Helmstetter, or other makers cue with that joint, try it and see what happens. My guess is it won't be there.

NewGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
It seems to do it on a Joss. It you have another 5/16x14 butt from another cue or can borrow a Schon, Helmstetter, or other makers cue with that joint, try it and see what happens. My guess is it won't be there.

Hmmm... I'll have to give that a try. I don't have another cue, but I'll try borrowing one from someone. Could it have something to do with the fit? I've noticed that the joints don't match up exactly. It seems like the shaft is a little less round than the cue. Not by much though. When my cue is together and I run my finger across the joint, there is a very slight ridge.

NewGuy said:
Hmmm... I'll have to give that a try. I don't have another cue, but I'll try borrowing one from someone. Could it have something to do with the fit? I've noticed that the joints don't match up exactly. It seems like the shaft is a little less round than the cue. Not by much though. When my cue is together and I run my finger across the joint, there is a very slight ridge.

No, I don't think that's it. Just try it on another cue, it doesn't matter if there's a tiny ridge one way or another.