McDermott ng05?

Wing

The Wingman
Hey guys,

I just ordered an NG05 from mcdermott and while ive never played with one, i did a lot of research and liked what i read. My question is if anyone here has used one and what you think of it?
Im pretty excited to try it out, but i like hearing others experiences with gear.

Thanks!
Wing

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ng02

I have a McDermott NG-02 and I love it. It's 20 oz and has the Stinger shaft. Absolutely crushes the rack and jumps easy too. Mine has quick release pins so it breaks down real easy. Bunch of folks say they really like breaking with it but I warn em every time someone new uses it:

Keep the butt DOWN. :D. I have seen the cue ball get launched a pretty good distance.
Hope you enjoy your new cue.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I have one, it's a great break and jump cue. I changed the Everest tip to a Samsara on the G-Core shaft when phenolics were banned and had the weight bolt removed entirely.

I have a few friends with the Predator BK2 who have tried it and like the McDermott better.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
I have an NG-03, 3 of my former students now have stingers an NG-01, NG-02 and an NG-05. I have tried them all and I can tell you you are going to LOVE this stick. It is accurate & powerful, there just hasn't been anything that I have tried that has even come close (so far).

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one, it's a great break and jump cue. I changed the Everest tip to a Samsara on the G-Core shaft when phenolics were banned and had the weight bolt removed entirely.

I have a few friends with the Predator BK2 who have tried it and like the McDermott better.

Mine came with a leather tip instead of phenolic. I think it's called a "Big Boy" tip. Never seen any others anywhere else. It's hard as a rock and has held its shape perfectly for the past 2 years. Love it and I would like to find an extra or two. :thumbup:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Mine came with a leather tip instead of phenolic. I think it's called a "Big Boy" tip. Never seen any others anywhere else. It's hard as a rock and has held its shape perfectly for the past 2 years. Love it and I would like to find an extra or two. :thumbup:

The NG05 comes with 2 shafts (1 G-Core with an Everest tip, and 1 Stinger shaft with a phenolic tip), a break/jump butt and a fluted jump handle. In effect, you're getting two cues.

Mine was purchased directly from McDermott so it wasn't a dealer's special and it is also described this way on their website. I think the newer models just come with the Stinger shaft and either a one-piece butt or a jump/break butt. The NG05, as far as I know, is now discontinued so whatever supplies remain are all that is left.

The "Big Boy" shaft is still available, but does not come with the Everest tip anymore. It's now replaced by the Kamui Black tip.

Last edited:

JulietteRoman

Registered
Never Knew

I never knew that I wanted a McDermott Stinger until I got one. I have a fairly light break, but with the Stinger I could probably outbreak everyone at my skill level. Any time I go out to play I ask my opponents to break with it. Partially it's fun to show off my gear, but mostly I think everyone should be able to experience breaking with this excellent cue.