Mcdermott & Wood question

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well guys, im looking for a new cue.
i have shot mcdermott for years. im 20 and had a McD D8 passed down from my father that i shot for years. i have recently beed using his D12 because i broke the tip on my D8.
both shoot extremely well. i have a meucci sneaky pete that i bought brand new and cant get attached. also shot with a few other cues, just never had anything feel as good in my hand as the McD.

so on to my question, what is the difference in the birdseye maple (G204 & G301), Bocote (g224), Cocobolo (g223), and east indian rosewood (g222)?

will they play differently or simply looks?
i have been looking at a ton of great reviews on the doubleliner and it is made of birdseye maple. but havent read nearly as many on any of the others is what made me ask this question.

thanks in advance!!

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
It's all looks... McDermotts are all pretty consistent in terms of balance and feel.

Why not fix the D8? You could get a new shaft for it if the old one is seriously damaged. Otherwise tips, tenons, and ferrule are all replacable.

McDermott will do the work for a reasonable price, they'll also refinish the cue and make it like brand new.

D series McDermott's are prized for the the way they play, and you won't get a new McDermott that will play better, no matter what pretty wood or fancy inlays they use.

:cool:

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to get the tip replaced today. The shaft is in good shape, just fairly old. The butt is in good overall shape, just the very bottom is beat up from years of use. Still shoots great. Id like to send it to them and get it redone sometime.

Then main reason im wanting to get a new stick is just to have something a little newer and something that I can look at and know Ive worked for.

Having an old stick handed down and having something you've worked hard for is two different amazing feelings I guess haha

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
How much

do you plan to spend? That makes a difference in selecting a cue.
If you ever go to sell a production cue, you will be lucky to get half of what you paid for it, whereas if you are selling a custom cue, you can usually get pretty close to what you paid for it, or sometimes even more.

Just food for thought, in case you might want to upgrade later on.

The only production cue I would ever consider is Schon, otherwise I would go with a custom cue everytime. A good custom Sneaky Pete can play as well as a regular custom cue costing hundreds more.