Memphis tonight

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I fly a lot for work but not as much as usual this past year. I was going to fall about 1000 miles short of Delta Gold status...which will be a big plus next year when I expect to fly quite a bit. Anyhow, I'm flying to Memphis tonight to get over the hump and have no plans other than getting some BBQ at some point. I've heard High Pockets (I think that was it?) is a good place to play. Anybody have a guess as to whether I can walk in there around 9:00 on a Friday night and expect to get on a table? or maybe a better choice.

My pool playing speed is better than the average league player.....................as long as it's a bowling league we're talking about.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fly a lot for work but not as much as usual this past year. I was going to fall about 1000 miles short of Delta Gold status...which will be a big plus next year when I expect to fly quite a bit. Anyhow, I'm flying to Memphis tonight to get over the hump and have no plans other than getting some BBQ at some point. I've heard High Pockets (I think that was it?) is a good place to play. Anybody have a guess as to whether I can walk in there around 9:00 on a Friday night and expect to get on a table? or maybe a better choice.

My pool playing speed is better than the average league player.....................as long as it's a bowling league we're talking about.

as far as high pockets i think all apa leagues were given the week off . i quit fri nights after last session so i am not sure. if they are off i am pretty sure you can get a bar table.
as for 9's.....it depends on if you get there before 9:00 .

sharpshooters... almost all bar tables...got a couple of 9's that are usually free if you can fade the younger crowd and their music.

the rack... all diamonds and i am sure you can get a table.....just keep a sharp eye on your surroundings.

i suggest high pockets myself.

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
just keep an eye on your surroundings?

I've never had any issues at the rack, nor has anyone who has even a smidgen of street smarts. I don't live there, but I'd like to think that my probably 100 or so around it, gives me a little leeway for a guy who travels to different rooms quite often.

Most of the good pool halls in the world aren't for the "golly gee I love playing in the APA turtleneck sweater" type of guy.

as far as high pockets i think all apa leagues were given the week off . i quit fri nights after last session so i am not sure. if they are off i am pretty sure you can get a bar table.
as for 9's.....it depends on if you get there before 9:00 .

sharpshooters... almost all bar tables...got a couple of 9's that are usually free if you can fade the younger crowd and their music.

the rack... all diamonds and i am sure you can get a table.....just keep a sharp eye on your surroundings.

i suggest high pockets myself.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just keep an eye on your surroundings?

I've never had any issues at the rack, nor has anyone who has even a smidgen of street smarts. I don't live there, but I'd like to think that my probably 100 or so around it, gives me a little leeway for a guy who travels to different rooms quite often.

Most of the good pool halls in the world aren't for the "golly gee I love playing in the APA turtleneck sweater" type of guy.

yea ....just what i said. i have never had an issue at the rack either.

i have lived here for 20 years.

want me to tell you about the time a guy tried to jump in my truck when i stopped at the red lihjt 1 block away.

want me to tell you about the time our shop which happened to be a 1/2 mile from the rack was broken into and 5 vehicles were stolen .

want me to tell you about the time 1 of our enployees was headed to the jobsite and his truck was struck by a bullet a 1/2 block from the shop ?

the shop was broke into at night. the other 2 incidents were in broad daylight.

that is just my personal experience when i worked in that area.

just so you know ... i have never worn a turtle neck in my life. :D

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just found out high pockets is having a tournament tonight on bar tables. i just might go ...gotta take g/f's daughter to the mall 1st.

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
1. Yes please.

2. If you have a second, sure.

3. I'd appreciate hearing about it.

yea ....just what i said. i have never had an issue at the rack either.

i have lived here for 20 years.

want me to tell you about the time a guy tried to jump in my truck when i stopped at the red lihjt 1 block away.

want me to tell you about the time our shop which happened to be a 1/2 mile from the rack was broken into and 5 vehicles were stolen .

want me to tell you about the time 1 of our enployees was headed to the jobsite and his truck was struck by a bullet a 1/2 block from the shop ?

the shop was broke into at night. the other 2 incidents were in broad daylight.

that is just my personal experience when i worked in that area.

just so you know ... i have never worn a turtle neck in my life. :D

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Yes please.

2. If you have a second, sure.

3. I'd appreciate hearing about it.

ok funny guy. let me address this post and your post 3 some more.

i have played at the rack a lot of times and have never had an issue in that pool hall.

my statement was be aware of our surroundings in that area.

you may have visited it a few times but as you stated you don;t live here well i do .

while that area is not the highest crime area in town it is a high crime area according to police statistics.

the area of lamar ave which the rack is located on is well known for its abundance of prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers, pay by the hour motels which a few have been closed by the city for being a public nusance and a lot of other crimes too numerous to mention.

yea i know the pool hall environment ain't exactly kid friendly but i have never had an issue in any pool hall i have ever been in over the last 40 years.

playing pool in a bar is a different story though. i cant tell you how many issues i have encountered with a drunk in a bar over a 5.00 game. i have played in many a dive bar during my lifetime and have been fortunate that the worse incidents i encountered were just a couple of cuts.

you can come across as mr street smart bad ass all you want to. i am not exactly a naive street dumb turtle neck wearing apa banger myself when it comes to a shady pool playing environment..

last but not least i am glad you never encountered an issue at the rack. if you ever go there again lemme know ...i will meet you there..buy you a few rounds ...and play a few racks with you.

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its crazy how much memphis has changed in the last 24 yrs.used to be a great
place but now its just ...i'm glad i got to grow up there but glad i left it too.
good luck in the tourney if ya go!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its crazy how much memphis has changed in the last 24 yrs.used to be a great
place but now its just ...i'm glad i got to grow up there but glad i left it too.
good luck in the tourney if ya go!!

got back from the mall too late:(

they are having a blind draw scotch doubles tom night. i may go but it always seems i draw some one who can't play very good. last guy i drew i had to explain the rules to him tried to help him with shot selection a couple of times but he disregarded my advice and always left me hooked.....when he made a ball lol.

as for memphis....when i st got here i got a motel. i had to push the drug dealers outa my way to get in and out the door.

1st house i leased... had my camaro broken into and the stero stolen 1st night in it.
when the leasse was up i got the hell outa there and moved to collierville. i now live in bartlett. you could not give me a house to live in free inside the city limits of memphis