Metal lathe and point work.

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im looking at getting a metal lathe for cue making. Already have a mid size but I want a big metal lathe. The only thing I cant figure out at the moment is indexing the head stock to cut points. For those that have a metal lathe how do you do it. Or did you make a modification to the lathe to do it.

CroweCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to look at manual indexes that mount to the beds, that's one way. Or make something that will let you index off the headstock

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im looking at getting a metal lathe for cue making. Already have a mid size but I want a big metal lathe. The only thing I cant figure out at the moment is indexing the head stock to cut points. For those that have a metal lathe how do you do it. Or did you make a modification to the lathe to do it.

You can index the edge on the back plate of the chuck and add a centering pin to hold in place.

Mario

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
They sell indexing plates for lathes, or buy a CNC to write a point-cutting program

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don`t cut points on my lathe, but I guess the easiest way would have to have your faceplate drilled with as many holes/degrees of angle you need and make some sort of pin indexer you attach to your lathe?

selkov

Registered
I removed the backing plate on my chuck and had another shop dril 1/4x1/4 holes along the outside of the plate [where you place your hand to slow it down] Then an strong 90 degree bracket bolted the machine and a 3/8 screw cut to fit the holes.