Method to APA color tiering?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

I have a couple friends (and acquaintances) that play in the APA, and I like to cheer them on in support when they qualify and go to APA Nationals in Las Vegas. One friend of mine even says, "I play in the APA specifically for the purpose of 'punching my ticket' to Vegas." That's cool -- he has a reason and a goal every session.

However, I noticed something recently in the way APA Nationals' results are posted that makes it non-trivial to see how a certain person performed at the Nationals. I know they've been doing it for a while, but APA "color codes" the different skill-level brackets without mentioning what those skill-levels are. And, it appears the media reporting those same results does the same.

Example: in the June 2014 issue of Stroke Magazine, they have a very nice article about the APA Nationals results on pages 28-30:

http://issuu.com/strokemagazine/docs/estroke6-14

However, there's not a single mention of skill levels in the whole article, and everything is referred to by color, e.g. yellow tier, red tier, purple tier, etc.

So, here I'm thinking, "oh, they must go by the sequence of colors in the rainbow, with red on one side (lower side) and purple on the other (high) side of the skill-level spectrum." You know, us science guys would think like that. Nope, doesn't work out like that *at all*. Just looking at the reported results, you can't make heads or tails out of the skill-level of the players within those color tiers.

When trying to look up the definitions of the color tiers, it's not easy to find on the APA website. In fact, you have to use the Search field, and even then, you get only this very-brief mention on a *single* page:

http://poolplayers.com/?s=color+tiers&submit=color tiers

"National Singles Championships
This event offers five Skill Level Tiers: Blue Tier (SL2&3), Yellow Tier (SL4), Red Tier (SL5), Orange (SL6) and Purple Tier (SL7)."

I'm just curious why the APA chose to "obfuscate" the skill-levels, and instead refer to them by color -- and even then, with the colors not being in any particular order e.g. according to the rainbow/color spectrum, seemingly to "shuffle the deck" on those colors so as to obfuscate any hierarchy of the skill-levels?

Thoughts from any APA players out there?

-Sean

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Sorry, Sean, I'm no help on this APA question....

I haven't made it to Nationals yet, and I don't recall seeing anything about it, tho I vaguely recall some mention of finishers in their magazine that they send us, with some reference to color groups....I'll look around and see if I can find it.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean, this is pure speculation, but I'm guessing they would like for all skill levels to be seen as equal to make people feel better about themselves. I think someone feels better about saying "I won the blue level at APA Nationals" than saying "I was champion of the 2-3 skill level division". Again, I have no idea other than my own guess this is correct but it is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
do you have to "qualify" some how to play in singles in Vegas ??

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean, this is pure speculation, but I'm guessing they would like for all skill levels to be seen as equal to make people feel better about themselves. I think someone feels better about saying "I won the blue level at APA Nationals" than saying "I was champion of the 2-3 skill level division". Again, I have no idea other than my own guess this is correct but it is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Nob, I think you're right. I was scratching my head for quite some time on this one, trying to play "devil's advocate" -- why *would* you want to try to obfuscate the skill levels. And reading your post, it kind of makes sense. The APA is all about "leveling the field" -- making the notion of "higher skills" irrelevant -- so anything that has to do with skill levels themselves, has to be layered over with something that obfuscates those skill levels. Why not arbitrary colors?

The problem it has is that it DOES make the job of looking up players by skill-level, then name, much more difficult.

Makes sense, and I thank you for your post!
-Sean

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The better question is this:

If the APA's Equalizer handicap system works so well, as they'd have you believe, why do they need tiers at all?

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do you have to "qualify" some how to play in singles in Vegas ??

You have to win a local eight player board to qualify for regionals. You then play in a regional event to qualify for nationals in Vegas.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was brought up in the latest issue of the APA's thrice yearly magazine. Then I just pulled out the little booklet from the 2013 membership kit I still had, and it listed the colors there, too.
8-ball:
Blue tier: SLs 2&3
Yellow:SL4
Red:SL5
Orange:SL6
Purple:SL7

9-ball:
Green tier: SLs 1-3
White:SLs 4&5
Black:SLs 6-9

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The better question is this:

If the APA's Equalizer handicap system works so well, as they'd have you believe, why do they need tiers at all?

You're kidding, right? I've yet to see any handicapping system in any sport that is 100% or works perfectly across a wide range of skill levels. APA has different Tier Levels in their National Event in order to stimulate interest among the lower skill levels and hopefully, to grow the sport. This is no different than high schools having gone to Class Systems, based upon school enrollment, for their sports. Do you think the team that won the class A championship feels any less happy than the team winning the 5A championship?

So instead of 1/3 to 1/4 the number of people going to Vegas to battle for one championship, APA sends a whole bunch of people to Vegas to battle for numerous championships. I'm struggling to understand how that is bad for pool in the least? Or why someone would want to make a negative comment about None of those APA Champions could compete with the top 25 Professionals so what does it matter?

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're kidding, right? I've yet to see any handicapping system in any sport that is 100% or works perfectly across a wide range of skill levels. APA has different Tier Levels in their National Event in order to stimulate interest among the lower skill levels and hopefully, to grow the sport. This is no different than high schools having gone to Class Systems, based upon school enrollment, for their sports. Do you think the team that won the class A championship feels any less happy than the team winning the 5A championship?

So instead of 1/3 to 1/4 the number of people going to Vegas to battle for one championship, APA sends a whole bunch of people to Vegas to battle for numerous championships. I'm struggling to understand how that is bad for pool in the least? Or why someone would want to make a negative comment about None of those APA Champions could compete with the top 25 Professionals so what does it matter?

Actually, I was kidding. It was more of a knock on how much they tout the Equalizer than the fact they have tiers.