Meucci Wrap Question

SSDiver2112

Escott Cues
Is this just a wrap? All of the Meucci cues I have seen so far have whatever wrap they have under the finish. I don't understand that at all, but that is a different issue.

A gentleman showed me his cue that he said he bought when he was 12 which my guess would put it around late 80's. Hall of Fame 4, MO-12 I'm not sure. It was late, and I can't see close up without cheaters, which I did not have. I took some pictures to look at later.

He wanted the handle only refinished because of dents in the grip he did not like. You can feel the edges at the forearm and butt, so it appears to be a wrap not under the finish. The handle felt very slick, so I thought it was under at first, but it is separate.

Did Meucci do exposed wraps? Is this a leather or vinal wrap?

I do not have the cue. Looking at the pictures with better eyes, I think I already know the answer, but I am trying to confirm if it can just get a new leather wrap replacement or a more complicated refinish job. it was so slick and shiny I am not sure if the pictures are showing a seam or just a reflection.

IMG_9508.jpeg

IMG_9515.jpeg

IMG_9512.jpeg

IMG_9513.jpeg

IMG_9516.jpeg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could order them un-coated but the standard issue wrap was sealed over. I always liked it. my hands don't sweat hardly and i like the wrapless feel.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the point to sealing the wrap is to have the look of a wrap but still wrapless. You also can hide imperfections in the wood under the wrap.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks to me like an all black linen wrap under a finish on an old cue where the finish has shrunk, the wood possibly swelled or shrunk over the years to make the transition from wrap to wood much more noticeable and present then it would have been originally. Looks like the finish may have, over time, even shrunk to reveal a little of the wrap texture possibly.

smiling_Hans

It could be a cost cutting issue and efficiency.

Most wrapless cues will still have some sort of wood. What they did is skip the handle and find it much cheaper to use linen then it is to make a true wrapless. Which would involve picking out exotic woods.

smiling_Hans

Not to throw my own tread off, but if you are going to make a "wrapless" cue then use a nice piece of wood. Who buys a cue because the linen wrap looks better? imo
Agree.

Which is why I believe they used the linen to cover up the raw wood underneath. Cheaper than actually having an exotic wood over it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to throw my own tread off, but if you are going to make a "wrapless" cue then use a nice piece of wood. Who buys a cue because the linen wrap looks better? imo
Cost is why. Doing a wrap, coated or not, is cheaper because you can make the handle section from anything. Doing wrapless requires a nice aka expensive piece of pretty wood.

SSDiver2112

Escott Cues
Looks to me like an all black linen wrap under a finish on an old cue where the finish has shrunk, the wood possibly swelled or shrunk over the years to make the transition from wrap to wood much more noticeable and present then it would have been originally. Looks like the finish may have, over time, even shrunk to reveal a little of the wrap texture possibly.
It does have that appearance, but there was a defined line/separation between the handle and butt/forearm. if it is linen they still put some kind of coating over it.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never seen a leather wrap on a Muecci but that doesn't mean it didn't happen,
Not an expert.

My MO grip when new felt like wrapless and was part of the gig IMO at the time.
Slick

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Maybe not too many guys today, but in the 1980s, the linen look was more popular than today. Not only black, as yours is, but Meucci made a lot of cream-colored wrapped cues with the finish over it. At the time, probably the most expensive cue made was mid-80s Crown cue by Meucci, played and owned by none other than Jim Rempe. It was Meucci's thing, to put a wrap on, and finish over it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe not too many guys today, but in the 1980s, the linen look was more popular than today. Not only black, as yours is, but Meucci made a lot of cream-colored wrapped cues with the finish over it. At the time, probably the most expensive cue made was mid-80s Crown cue by Meucci, played and owned by none other than Jim Rempe. It was Meucci's thing, to put a wrap on, and finish over it.
And a great idea too.
Jmo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Schon limited that was refinished 'Moochie style' with a coated black wrap. Really like look and the wrapless feel.