Mezz Avant

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone here has been able to try the Mezz Avant and can post some first hand impressions?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second this. Anyone tried it? Thinking of purchasing one. Any review would be much appreciated.

cwong79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just purchase a wrapless orange/red version from Mezz USA butt only. I’m currently playing with an Ignite shaft. Couple of concerns I had before buying.

1) Will the shaft line up with my shaft
2) Will the middle forearm joint come loose
3) Is the color accents too much
4) How adjustable is the cue
5) Is it a solid feeling cue

The shaft lines up perfectly at near exact diameter.
The joint for weight bolt insertions are perfectly machine as well. However, if you place your hand on the forearm joint you will feel it. Ive gotten use to it now, and I hold the cue towards the rear so it seldom comes into play. The joint is threaded and very solid. It would be very rare where you would need to retighten the forearm to the butt.
The cue is almost 95% black and I rarely notice the color accents. Most people comment and ask if I’m playing with a jump break cue.
You definitely want to include the weight bolt kit. It’s very well made and you have so many options with adjustment. I wanted a more forward balance cue, and was able to achieve that. I will say, it took me a lot of time to adjust to this set up from a weight perspective. But I like my setup now, more than what I had before. So it’s a good purchase for me.
The cue doesn’t feel as solid as my Mezz sneaky pete. But it hits good for me. Being that it is hollow in the forearm, there’s just no way it’s as solid feeling as a solid jointed cue.
Its probably a placebo effect, but I feel that I have more control of the cueball. My cue now weighs 18.75 oz, in the past I was at 19.5 oz.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@cwong79 Thank you for the feedback. What is the weight of the butt without any weight bolt? Does it sound hollow when you hit the ball?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I just purchase a wrapless orange/red version from Mezz USA butt only. I’m currently playing with an Ignite shaft. Couple of concerns I had before buying.

1) Will the shaft line up with my shaft
2) Will the middle forearm joint come loose
3) Is the color accents too much
4) How adjustable is the cue
5) Is it a solid feeling cue

The shaft lines up perfectly at near exact diameter.
The joint for weight bolt insertions are perfectly machine as well. However, if you place your hand on the forearm joint you will feel it. Ive gotten use to it now, and I hold the cue towards the rear so it seldom comes into play. The joint is threaded and very solid. It would be very rare where you would need to retighten the forearm to the butt.
The cue is almost 95% black and I rarely notice the color accents. Most people comment and ask if I’m playing with a jump break cue.
You definitely want to include the weight bolt kit. It’s very well made and you have so many options with adjustment. I wanted a more forward balance cue, and was able to achieve that. I will say, it took me a lot of time to adjust to this set up from a weight perspective. But I like my setup now, more than what I had before. So it’s a good purchase for me.
The cue doesn’t feel as solid as my Mezz sneaky pete. But it hits good for me. Being that it is hollow in the forearm, there’s just no way it’s as solid feeling as a solid jointed cue.
Its probably a placebo effect, but I feel that I have more control of the cueball. My cue now weighs 18.75 oz, in the past I was at 19.5 oz.
Great review, very straight forward. Thank you

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@cwong79 Thank you for the feedback. What is the weight of the butt without any weight bolt? Does it sound hollow when you hit the ball?

One of the avant cues was 15 oz with 1oz in the back and .5oz weight in the front, original.

cwong79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry, i believe the Mezz website gives specs of the cue shipped. I believe Wolven is right. It came with weight bolts installed and when removed, somewhere between 15 - 17 oz. The cue does not sound hollow. That being said, I believe feel and sound is subjective.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, i believe the Mezz website gives specs of the cue shipped. I believe Wolven is right. It came with weight bolts installed and when removed, somewhere between 15 - 17 oz. The cue does not sound hollow. That being said, I believe feel and sound is subjective.
Between 15 and 17 is not very helpful . Maybe you can check when you get a chance.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank for the review, cwong79, much appreciated. (y)
This is the only part that gives me pause: "The cue doesn’t feel as solid as my Mezz sneaky pete."
After you get more playing time with it, could you please come back and elaborate on that a bit more. Adjustability is a major upside, but considerably less so if it comes at the cost of the feel.

Did you get the hex key with your weight bolt set or did you already have the appropriate one?

Zerksies

Seems interesting. I am seeing this a lot now in cues not only can you change the weight but now it seems you can adjust the balance point

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else had any experience with the Avant? Some Mezz pros are using it now, it seems.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to revisit this thread. My understanding is that it comes as 15oz standard, with one 1oz and one 0.5oz weight bolts installed, so 13.5oz with weight bolts removed. Can you confirm?

The wawy model is out in the meantime, had anyone been able to try it?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to revisit this thread. My understanding is that it comes as 15oz standard, with one 1oz and one 0.5oz weight bolts installed, so 13.5oz with weight bolts removed. Can you confirm?

The wawy model is out in the meantime, had anyone been able to try it?

I haven’t played one but I’ve been playing with Mezz and Exceed cues for nearly 10 years, with most of the various Mezz shafts.

It’s my understanding the Avant is the butt only, which you then match up with whatever Mezz shaft you choose, which are numerous. So it’s basically offering the player butt balance point options to experiment with.

I guess that may be a big issue for some, but adjusting shaft types, shaft lengths, butt lengths (with extensions) and butt weight (with weight screws) are more than enough options for me to deal with.