Gold Member
Silver Member
I have one wavy 2 joint shaft that is so tight its almost
impossible to screw in. Does anyone know of a remedy short of
sending it back.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I went shopping for a casket, I ask the sales rep can your mechanic modify my casket to use mezz style joint screws to reinforce it from breaking open during an earthquake or accidental relocation.

It was the first time the funeral home had a request for enhanced structural upgrades.

DeeDeeCues

sending it back.

Why wouldn't you send it back? Mezz is supposed to be this amazing quality, why settle when their garbage proprietary joint doesn't work?

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are you trying to put wavy 2 shaft on wavy 1 butt ?
Mezz says :

be34929213c6f82b556926ebb976af47.jpg

Last edited:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went shopping for a casket, I ask the sales rep can your mechanic modify my casket to use mezz style joint screws to reinforce it from breaking open during an earthquake or accidental relocation.

It was the first time the funeral home had a request for enhanced structural upgrades.
Hope your pool game is better than your jokes

Nyquil

My mezz United joint is tight like my wife would probably struggle screwing down the last couple of threads. It's the tightest tolerance joint I have and I really dig it. Not sure on the wavy's and why they have two types makes no sense to me.

DeeDeeCues

My mezz United joint is tight like my wife would probably struggle screwing down the last couple of threads. It's the tightest tolerance joint I have and I really dig it. Not sure on the wavy's and why they have two types makes no sense to me.

Tight threads are not a sign of good engineering.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
sending it back.
Everything is relative.

My wavy 1 Exceed had a very tight joint in the beginning. Not "OMG" tight but it was something that took effort. Even after a >1yr it's still a tight fitting joint.

The United joint on my PB-G is incredibly tight. It was almost un-nerving when I first put it together. Again >1yr later it's still so tight that people have concerned faces when screwing it together for the first time.

In the end, haters are going to hate, and you're seeing it already in this thread. That hate doesn't translate into reality. Seeing as I can't gauge your effort or concern. My advice is to take it to a real cue mechanic and get their opinion. ...and when I say a real mechanic, I mean someone that does something beyond changing tips to get free table time.

Without anything to draw from, here's my biased thoughts. Mezz has an impeccable rep for the quality of their equipment. Although certainly possible, I think the odds are that your concerns aren't as warranted as you may feel. Good luck

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You tell me what quantifies "that tight"...
The guy shits on Mezz stuff every chance he gets. They make great cues with a gillion users around the planet. Don't like them don't buy one. BTW, i have a AXI cue with a Wavy pin. No problems with overly tight joint fit. The new Rhino CF i just got is tighter than the Mezz wood shafts but still not hard to put together. I wish they would use standard pins but this wouldn't stop me from buying another Mezz.

DeeDeeCues

He can barely get it together with the tools required.

I've been involved in design and assembly of multi-million dollar custom CNC machines. I have never needed a tool to put a bolt in a threaded hole except for torquing. Proper threaded joints (tapered pipe and interference lock nuts aside) do not get tight before starting to seat. It's bad engineering that accomplishes nothing, and in fact creates a deficiency in the purpose of the threaded joint.

DeeDeeCues

The guy shits on Mezz stuff every chance he gets. They make great cues with a gillion users around the planet. Don't like them don't buy one. BTW, i have a AXI cue with a Wavy pin. No problems with overly tight joint fit. The new Rhino CF i just got is tighter than the Mezz wood shafts but still not hard to put together. I wish they would use standard pins but this wouldn't stop me from buying another Mezz.

This guy shits on every cuemaker and cue owner who thinks a joint that is difficult to screw together is a good thing. It isn't. I've explained numerous times why. The only good thing about an overly tight fit on a cue joint is that it sells more to rubes who refuse to learn anything.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ordered 2 shafts with this wavy 2 joint. One shaft is very tight but ok. The other
one takes every bit of strength I have to get it in and then back out.
Yes I'm 77 but still pretty strong up top

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
He can barely get it together with the tools required.
You still can't quantify what he's feeling and the effort he's using. I knew that wouldn't stop you from doubling down....lol
I've been involved in design and assembly of multi-million dollar custom CNC machines. I have never needed a tool to put a bolt in a threaded hole except for torquing. Proper threaded joints (tapered pipe and interference lock nuts aside) do not get tight before starting to seat. It's bad engineering that accomplishes nothing, and in fact creates a deficiency in the purpose of the threaded joint.
We've all read this from you before. You may or may not be an authority. Either way you don't have the required specifics to make a call in this thread. You just have a well established axe to grind with Mezz. ...and like most narcissistic authorities on subject matter. When painted into a corner with facts, they'll attempt baffle within inconsequential accreditation.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The other one takes every bit of strength I have to get it in and then back out.
Well if that's the case, then I'd definitely return it. Odds are they missed a clean up pass when they cut the threads and it slipped passed QA. I can't speak to Mezz QA control but they might to batch checks for threads, or it very simply got missed.

Regardless, you shouldn't be fighting with it. ....and it has nothing to do with the thread style.

Last edited: