Mezz Power Break G break cue review

After not being satisfied with the cue ball control I was able to get, I was in the market for a break cue. I've owned a few break cues in the past and did not want to get a Jump/Break as I have a Cuetec Jump/Break and even with a superhard tip (Icebreaker+), I was struggling to make good breaks consistently. I tried a few 8ball and 9ball breaks with the BK Rush, but personally it didn't "feel" right to me (YMMV) There was also not much difference in my breaks with the BK and the Cuetec, only that the Cuetec has a fiberglass shaft which is not as slick as the CF shaft on the BK rush.

After seeing an episode of "What's in the case" on Sharivari's channel I decided to pull the trigger on the Mezz PB-G and haven't looked back!! I got the sports grip model, and to do a fair comparison I did around 30 breaks each with my older Cuetec and the Mezz, at 80,90,100% power etc. Almost each time I got a better spread with the Mezz, and cueball control was way better. Compared to the BK Rush, it feels a little more balanced (for my break style, again YMMV). The Ignite G break shaft is amazingly smooth, I think I have made a purchase to last for the years to come. Definitely a great investment!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
After not being satisfied with the cue ball control I was able to get, I was in the market for a break cue. I've owned a few break cues in the past and did not want to get a Jump/Break as I have a Cuetec Jump/Break and even with a superhard tip (Icebreaker+), I was struggling to make good breaks consistently. I tried a few 8ball and 9ball breaks with the BK Rush, but personally it didn't "feel" right to me (YMMV) There was also not much difference in my breaks with the BK and the Cuetec, only that the Cuetec has a fiberglass shaft which is not as slick as the CF shaft on the BK rush.

After seeing an episode of "What's in the case" on Sharivari's channel I decided to pull the trigger on the Mezz PB-G and haven't looked back!! I got the sports grip model, and to do a fair comparison I did around 30 breaks each with my older Cuetec and the Mezz, at 80,90,100% power etc. Almost each time I got a better spread with the Mezz, and cueball control was way better. Compared to the BK Rush, it feels a little more balanced (for my break style, again YMMV). The Ignite G break shaft is amazingly smooth, I think I have made a purchase to last for the years to come. Definitely a great investment!
I just pulled the trigger on this cue as well, but have only given it a once over, and haven't had a chance to hit it.

May I ask if you can clearly see the seam in the CF shaft...? It's hard to take a picture of, but there's a clearly defined seam the length of the shaft on mine. I've never owned CF anything, but haven't seen such a seam in any of the playing shafts I've looked at from other manufactures.

I just pulled the trigger on this cue as well, but have only given it a once over, and haven't had a chance to hit it.

May I ask if you can clearly see the seam in the CF shaft...? It's hard to take a picture of, but there's a clearly defined seam the length of the shaft on mine. I've never owned CF anything, but haven't seen such a seam in any of the playing shafts I've looked at from other manufactures.
It's funny you mention it because I saw this when I was cleaning it yesterday. It's at 2 different places, but doesn't run the complete length of the shaft. Are you seeing something similar? I have a CF play shaft (Viking) but that has a completely different look, kind of like curly maple.

I contacted Mezz about it, will update the thread when they reply.

Attachments

• seam 1.jpg
    seam 1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 331
  • seam 2.jpg
    seam 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 334

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It's funny you mention it because I saw this when I was cleaning it yesterday. It's at 2 different places, but doesn't run the complete length of the shaft. Are you seeing something similar? I have a CF play shaft (Viking) but that has a completely different look, kind of like curly maple.

I contacted Mezz about it, will update the thread when they reply.
Yep, that's the line. I don't have the cue in hand so I can't give a better description.

I have asked my Mezz guru and apparently all the Mezz CF shafts have that line to some degree. Personally, I'm not concerned about it. Just wondering if it was common and replied to you before reaching out to my guru.

I'm looking forward to hitting it. So you like the stock sonic tip...? I've been told it's very close to the 'feel' of phenolic.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In my opinion it would be much closer and interesting comparison if we talk Mezz Power break G vs Predator BK Rush vs Cuetec Cynergy Breach...
The older Cuetec with fiberglass shaft not CF is just different and cannot have the same feel etc. as BK Rush with CF shaft (ihmo).
Being a coach I had possibility to try those mentioned break cues. A few young guns in our pool school got their new toys BK Rush from their parents.
Our current best player in Ukraine got his sponsorship from Mezz last year. He got his package before Mezz Power Break G was released so he got Power Break Kai first. Before Mezz sponsorship he played with Predators and had BK3 breaker. He said the biggest difference was in the deflection. Predator BK3 shaft had lower deflection than Mezz's shaft. So he was glad to get his new breaker Power G. He and we tested both BK Rush and Power G...both have fairly low deflection...eventually you'll have hard time to determine which one has less...both shafts similarly smooth. The major difference is in the tip.
After trying his Power G with a stock tip Vitaliy has changed it to Taom which he used on his BK3 and liked after he got it from his friend billiard brother Fedor.
He said with Taom it's easier to make CB pop and he has much better control on 10-ball, 8-ball break.
When it comes to the butt it all comes to what big logo you like more (lol) as soon as it's the same weight.
Last week one of my talented pupils pulled the trigger and got Cuetec Breach breaker once there was a possibility to try it. The cf break shaft from Cuetec is different comparing to both BK Rush and Power Break G.
First of all the taper is different and the ferrule construction. This shaft is the stiffest out of three ... as smooth as other two from Mezz and Predator.
So when it comes to the energy transfer all three shafts are great and on par but the one from Cuetec has more deflection due to its stronger longer phenolic ferrule plus might be thicker wall thickness ... so it's less forgiving but powerful.
Which one would I choose?
Honestly I don't care about those butts with huge logos on them. The only interest is about a cf shaft with a low deflection = more forgiving.
Since I had one more hobby - cue building I'm satisfied with what I've built for myself. When it comes to energy transfer my purple heart breaking shaft with a Hammerhead tip works really well but for getting less shaft's weight and lower deflection plus stiffness with a comfortable taper as a bonus ... 12,9 Revo shaft for my 3/8-10 pin might be better investment for my needs...then change the tip to very hard leather or synthetic and there you go.
P.S. It's great you've found what works for you.
Anyway the best investment is to put the time needed for improving the mechanics (technique)😏.

Last edited:
In my opinion it would be much closer and interesting comparison if we talk Mezz Power break G vs Predator BK Rush vs Cuetec Cynergy Breach...
The older Cuetec with fiberglass shaft not CF is just different and cannot have the same feel etc. as BK Rush with CF shaft (ihmo).
Being a coach I had possibility to try those mentioned break cues. A few young guns in our pool school got their new toys BK Rush from their parents.
Our current best player in Ukraine got his sponsorship from Mezz last year. He got his package before Mezz Power Break G was released so he got Power Break Kai first. Before Mezz sponsorship he played with Predators and had BK3 breaker. He said the biggest difference was in the deflection. Predator BK3 shaft had lower deflection than Mezz's shaft. So he was glad to get his new breaker Power G. He and we tested both BK Rush and Power G...both have fairly low deflection...eventually you'll have hard time to determine which one has less...both shafts similarly smooth. The major difference is in the tip.
After trying his Power G with a stock tip Vitaliy has changed it to Taom which he used on his BK3 and liked after he got it from his friend billiard brother Fedor.
He said with Taom it's easier to make CB pop and he has much better control on 10-ball, 8-ball break.
When it comes to the butt it all comes to what big logo you like more (lol) as soon as it's the same weight.
Last week one of my talented pupils pulled the trigger and got Cuetec Breach breaker once there was a possibility to try it. The cf break shaft from Cuetec is different comparing to both BK Rush and Power Break G.
First of all the taper is different and the ferrule construction. This shaft is the stiffest out of three ... as smooth as other two from Mezz and Predator.
So when it comes to the energy transfer all three shafts are great and on par but the one from Cuetec has more deflection due to its stronger longer phenolic ferrule plus might be thicker wall thickness ... so it's less forgiving but powerful.
Which one would I choose?
Honestly I don't care about those butts with huge logos on them. The only interest is about a cf shaft with a low deflection = more forgiving.
Since I had one more hobby - cue building I'm satisfied with what I've built for myself. When it comes to energy transfer my purple heart breaking shaft with a Hammerhead tip works really well but for getting less shaft's weight and lower deflection plus stiffness with a comfortable taper as a bonus ... 12,9 Revo shaft for my 3/8-10 pin might be better investment for my needs...then change the tip to very hard leather or synthetic and there you go.
P.S. It's great you've found what works for you.
Anyway the best investment is to put the time needed for improving the mechanics (technique)😏.

The Cuetec Breach has a Taom 2.0 on it btw.. I have tried few break shots with it from a fellow player, as with BK Rush. Now I'm no pro player, so I may be wrong but the PB-G butt felt a bit thicker diameter than Cuetec or Predator... I have a (relatively) large palm with stubby fingers, so I liked the Mezz the best of the three in my hands. Of course, when you are comparing these pro-level sticks it mostly comes down to technique. The owners of the Predator/Cuetec swear by them and they were getting consistent breaks with their respective cues.. Comes down to what feels good and makes you break confidently, in the end. I just made the comparison with fiberglass Cuetec because I wanted an answer for whether on a given day the $650+ pricetag for the Mezz is justified.

@The_JV : I like the Sonic tip, the sound of the hit is close to phenolic yes. It also holds chalk much better than the other resin tip I've tried (tiger Icebreaker+)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The Cuetec Breach has a Taom 2.0 on it btw.. I have tried few break shots with it from a fellow player, as with BK Rush. Now I'm no pro player, so I may be wrong but the PB-G butt felt a bit thicker diameter than Cuetec or Predator... I have a (relatively) large palm with stubby fingers, so I liked the Mezz the best of the three in my hands. Of course, when you are comparing these pro-level sticks it mostly comes down to technique. The owners of the Predator/Cuetec swear by them and they were getting consistent breaks with their respective cues.. Comes down to what feels good and makes you break confidently, in the end. I just made the comparison with fiberglass Cuetec because I wanted an answer for whether on a given day the $650+ pricetag for the Mezz is justified.

@The_JV : I like the Sonic tip, the sound of the hit is close to phenolic yes. It also holds chalk much better than the other resin tip I've tried (tiger Icebreaker+)
I took a leap of faith when I forked over the coin for the PB-G. There are a few Mezz owners in my region but none in my neck of the woods. I'm usually the type that must use something before paying for it, but based on what I experienced with the BK-Rush and what I already know about Mezz quality. I figured it was a small risk.

In comparison the BK-Rush is everywhere, so doing a side by side comparison once I have the Mezz in hand will be easy enough. Like mentioned earlier though, I'm sure it will come down to the tip perferences. I do have a teammate with a extremely controlled and powerful break (Rush owner and 700 player) that I'll ask to put the PB-G through it's paces. I'd do the comparison myself, but my break has never been great...lol

I've been prepared to be disappointed by the sonic tip but I do intend to give it a fair shake. As long as it doesn't damage CBs like actual phenolic can, then it has an opprotunity to remain on the cue at least for a while. That same teammate I mentioned earlier actually cracked the stock tip on his BK-Rush in short order, and went to a White Diamond. I was really impressed with his setup so if I end up swapping tips, I'll most likely follow his lead.

Thanks for posting the reply from Mezz. Confirms what I was told. I do find it a tad odd that they embrace what most would consider a visual flaw. I have no doubt when the buddies see it for the first time, it will be a sea of comments on the "lack of QA".

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might be right about the Mezz's butt being thicker. I believe it has more meat coming from the middle to the end so it's thicker at the grip area.
At least that is definitely the case if comparing the tapers on Predator's playing butts to Mezz's.
So that might be the major factor to consider when it comes to the feel meaning the grip.
What I wanted to say in my long post ... you can get the best out of using CF in pool first of all while breaking and may be jumping and the shaft only makes a difference especially when paired with a good tip.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Well I had the pleasure of hitting my PB-G today finally. ...and man, what a cue.

The thing is a monster and hits a ton...lol

Seriously though. I'm very happy with my purchase thus far, and think I'll keep the sonic tip for the time being. Seeing as my old solid maple breaker has a phenolic tip, the rock hard sonic tip feels familar.

The transistion of power into the CB is great. I've never owned a CF breaker before so this is all new for me. I'm definitely getting more pop then I'm used to.

Well I had the pleasure of hitting my PB-G today finally. ...and man, what a cue.

The thing is a monster and hits a ton...lol

Seriously though. I'm very happy with my purchase thus far, and think I'll keep the sonic tip for the time being. Seeing as my old solid maple breaker has a phenolic tip, the rock hard sonic tip feels familar.

The transistion of power into the CB is great. I've never owned a CF breaker before so this is all new for me. I'm definitely getting more pop then I'm used to.
Awesome!!! Btw I know what you mean about trying something before paying for it, and the price tag on PB-G is definitely not an amount a normal person just has lying around to buy online just to try it out lol