Mezz WX700 12mm

DrewRgnr

Registered
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my shaft to mezz shaft and i recently see someone that sell his WX700 in very cheap price, but he customized it to 12mm and it seemed shape to a conical taper.
My question is, will it be the same feel and deflect as WX900 or still like WX700 just smaller.

Thankyou

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To get the answers you're looking for just go to mezz web-site and look at those shafts specifications.
The material of the ferrule is the same but the length is much different. The construction of ...side wall thickness and other nitty-gritty details are also to consider.
There is a risk the ferrule fails after going to a smaller diameter and reducing side wall thickness.
At least my student had the problem with a ferrule on his WX700 shaft many years ago. It flattened and cracked and the shaft was fairly new and not turned down.
I don't know if anything was changed by Mezz and if it is a pretty common thing.
So if the price is so good you could get it and just be ready to invest some in an upgrade if and when the failure comes giving it to reputable repair-person.
But honestly I would first make a decision which one WX700 or 900 I prefer and then looking for it. There will be good offers for WX900 too I believe if that's what you want.
Only last week I had my colleage asking me to help and repair his LD shaft...where the failure was just what I already described...it flattened and cracked.
Well once I started my work and understood the construction used and saw the obvious reason why it happened...
I better show some pictures. The first is after turning down and my description of the ferrule's construction used by the manufacturer.

Attachments

• rps20201027_144451.jpg
    rps20201027_144451.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 412
  • rps20201027_144612.jpg
    rps20201027_144612.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some pictures of the work in the progress.
The colleage is happy so am I and now it does not wait to fail).

Attachments

• rps20201027_144737.jpg
    rps20201027_144737.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 256
  • rps20201027_144813.jpg
    rps20201027_144813.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 288
  • rps20201027_144931.jpg
    rps20201027_144931.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 259
  • rps20201027_145004.jpg
    rps20201027_145004.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 257

DrewRgnr

Registered
Okay, thankyou for your response. It was very clear explanation, i will consider it again. And i think i'm gonna choose expro shaft but i have united joint and the shaft is wavy joint, is it possible and is it worth to change the joint?

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Changing the joint from united to wavy is not something I would recommend generally.

The united insert is quite large and to remove it brings a risk (small risk, but still) of splitting the wood.

Not too many cuemakers will have the original wavy tap because it is crazy expensive. Plus, if you change the ringwork aswell it will be fairly expensive and the shaft will not feel the same since it is now around 0.4Oz lighter then before.

Generally speaking better of to just buy a wavy joint shaft.

Regards, Dave

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I understood it correctly you need a shaft matching your united joint butt so making an insert - female inited part into the wavy shaft.
If so that is possible and much much easier than the other way around.
Try to find and apply to a skilled repair-man or a cue-maker who agrees to help you and talk to him about the details and cost.

DrewRgnr

Registered
okay new update, i get another seller for expro shaft which i know the joint has been changed from wavy to united (i think it's a common thing to do here in my country). I know the collar is different because he changed it, is there a way for me to know the authenticity of the shaft itself

Attachments

• expro img.jpg
    expro img.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • expro img1.jpg
    expro img1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 141

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my shaft to mezz shaft and i recently see someone that sell his WX700 in very cheap price, but he customized it to 12mm and it seemed shape to a conical taper.
My question is, will it be the same feel and deflect as WX900 or still like WX700 just smaller.

Thankyou
Buy a shaft that hasn't been hacked on/modified.