Midwest Carbon Technologies 'Excel' .....??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody seen/tried one of these shafts?? Price is very attractive at $220 shipped. Comes in 11.8/12.4 30" at no upcharge. Almost all joints avail. No website but they are on FB. I've asked a few questions and they have responded quickly. Reviews on their FB page seem pretty pos. but i thought i'd ask here as well.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a fair gamble. I love my Jacoby but I bet there isn’t too much difference between carbon shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cueball13

Registered
I can speak on these shafts! I have been playing with one since October and it plays really well! I personally know the guy who makes them and he’s a good dude as well. A lot of people on my league have bought them as well and they all say they play well too!

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I can speak on these shafts! I have been playing with one since October and it plays really well! I personally know the guy who makes them and he’s a good dude as well. A lot of people on my league have bought them as well and they all say they play well too!

What's the joint diameter on your's?

FishFreak

Tell us about how it hits? What's the sound like? Deflection, if you got a way of measuring it? What tip size did you get? How is the finish texture and how is it holding up? Has the matte finish turned glossy where you contact it a lot? I guess that's gonna happen no matter what, right?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell us about how it hits? What's the sound like? Deflection, if you got a way of measuring it? What tip size did you get? How is the finish texture and how is it holding up? Has the matte finish turned glossy where you contact it a lot? I guess that's gonna happen no matter what, right?
When i asked them they said the finish is very slick like a Revo. There are pics on their FB page. They will probably email you some if you have FB phobia.

FishFreak

So, Lol, answering my questions, talked to the person behind the Midwest Carbon Tech FB page, very quick responding and good answers. He said that the sound was a main focus while developing this shaft (4 yrs now), and it's foam (or ?) filled, didn't specify and didn't acknowledge specifically when I asked, but I asked a lot of questions as I always do, so not surprised he/she missed one. He described the 11.8 mm tip shaft as having almost zero deflection, and the 12.4 mm shaft as only being slightly more. I went ahead and ordered the 12.4, and upgraded to the Tiger Sniper med tip. I'll let you know more after I get it....

Cueball13

Registered

IMO it hits fantastic. No annoying noise or anything of that nature. My tip is a 12.4 using an ultraskin medium. Deflection is super low. The finish and texture are great. Super smooth. I haven’t had any issues of it not being smooth. The matte finish is holding up great.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
got a 11.8 delivered today
after about an hour of play comparing it with my revo 11.8
here is my initial expressions
i got it in 5/16x14 pin
it didnt fit on my tascarella
started squeaking as i got to the end of putting it on (revo fits fine)
no problem putting it on my mobley (my current player)
it seemed very thin compared to the revo
at the tip both were 11.8/11.9 (i never get the same readings with my calipers)
i have a 10 inch bridge
at 10 inches the revo (conical taper) was 13.omm
the excel(midwest carbon) was 11.9/12,0 mm
so to me the midwest feel alittle like a spaghetti strand
but that does not detract from its performance
I wanted a soft tip as i play with g2 soft (switched back from thorobred)
it came with an ultra skin soft black tip (would have preferred a brown tip)
the deflection is very low and close to the revo
the hit is solid
not as firm to me as the revo
for the money you get more than you paid for
jmho
i am no pro
your results may vary
edit to add
i do think the midwest has alittle more deflection than the revo

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got a 11.8 delivered today
after about an hour of play comparing it with my revo 11.8
here is my initial expressions
i got it in 5/16x14 pin
it didnt fit on my tascarella
started squeaking as i got to the end of putting it on (revo fits fine)
no problem putting it on my mobley (my current player)
it seemed very thin compared to the revo
at the tip both were 11.8/11.9 (i never get the same readings with my calipers)
i have a 10 inch bridge
at 10 inches the revo (conical taper) was 13.omm
the excel(midwest carbon) was 11.9/12,0 mm
so to me the midwest feel alittle like a spaghetti strand
but that does not detract from its performance
I wanted a soft tip as i play with g2 soft (switched back from thorobred)
it came with an ultra skin soft black tip (would have preferred a brown tip)
the deflection is very low and close to the revo
the hit is solid
not as firm to me as the revo
for the money you get more than you paid for
jmho
i am no pro
your results may vary
Good honest review.

Reactions: bbb

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I'm really interested in the Midwest for my Southwest 😉. I've been reading good things so far. So I sent them a message to see if they can ship to the UK.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one for my recently purchased Jovi cue. The diameter match at the joint was great.

It shoots great. I practice some test shots from a tiger brochure which show off low deflection. I can sink those shots better than any other shaft I own.

My only knock, if you want to call it that, is that the shaft is light, 2.7 ounces. Obviously, this moves the balance back.

I would say that this shaft is definitely taking a fork in the road away from wood. Some carbon shafts are closer to wood. This isn’t that.

I had issues with this maker in the past but this was a great experience. He turned a corner and this is a quality product.

I can’t quit this shaft if I wanted to. I have confidently added more spin in my game.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one for my recently purchased Jovi cue. The diameter match at the joint was great.

It shoots great. I practice some test shots from a tiger brochure which show off low deflection. I can sink those shots better than any other shaft I own.

My only knock, if you want to call it that, is that the shaft is light, 2.7 ounces. Obviously, this moves the balance back.

I would say that this shaft is definitely taking a fork in the road away from wood. Some carbon shafts are closer to wood. This isn’t that.

I had issues with this maker in the past but this was a great experience. He turned a corner and this is a quality product.

I can’t quit this shaft if I wanted to. I have confidently added more spin in my game.

That is awfully light. Never heard of a shaft that light. I was thinking about buying one but there's no way i'd get one that light.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect there is no foam or anything. I asked if that was the typical weight and he said it was. This was also a 30” shaft.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Here's what I ordered.

11.8mm
3.5-3.8oz.
.850 joint diameter

Here's what arrived

11.8mm
2.5oz
.860 joint diameter.

I told the seller how disappointed I was in not receiving the shaft as ordered. Didn't get a response after that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I ordered.

11.8mm
3.5-3.8oz.
.850 joint diameter

Here's what arrived

11.8mm
2.5oz
.860 joint diameter.

I told the seller how disappointed I was in not receiving the shaft as ordered. Didn't get a response after that.
Contact him via FB if you can. He always replies quickly when i've asked questions. No excuse for getting a shaft that far-off from what you ordered. Keep us posted.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
wait what? i dont think you can expect a certain weight with these. if they added to it, then it probably doesnt play like how they want it

i cant wait to get one and hopefully lighten up my nice custom cue, i like that 11.8 dia alot rn
will get the radial