Money game/gambling "etiquette" and advice

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been doing some searching and it's hard to find anything concrete on the subject, people mention it here and there but I feel there a big underground code with unwritten rules about etiquette when playing money games, etc.

This is strictly for curiosity, seeing as a lot of stick situations arise when it comes to gambling, etc.

Some questions that come to mind are... what's the best way to be professional, not have hard feelings? How to find action and ask to play for money? Also, poolroom owner's participation/comfort with money matches? Things to be wary of...?

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go and watch ... then watch some more. If someone comes up to you and asks to play for small cash, play slow, lose a lot, ask them about the regulars while you are losing. Do not ask them about money players, as they could be lookouts.

Alternatively, go to the room owner and ask for a money game, let him make a few calls, bet your ass off and hope to win.

*edit* oh, and always post the cash, and more importantly, always have an exit strategy :)

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go and watch ... then watch some more. If someone comes up to you and asks to play for small cash, play slow, lose a lot, ask them about the regulars while you are losing. Do not ask them about money players, as they could be lookouts.

So what I'm getting is language is important. Is it more common to have someone approach you? Or to sit and watch someone, and then they'll ask you?

I was watching a guy over at a 10x5 table the other night and the very first thing he said to me as I was watching was "want to gamble?" Found that kind of funny as an introduction...

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be a gentleman and don't gamble with a$$holes! This is some of the best advice I can give you from past experiences. Honestly, I would rather lose my money to my best friend than to somebody that is disrespectful. As a rule, I don't like to gamble with people that I do not like. For some reason, there are people that have no class and think they can "shame" somebody into playing them. This is one of the things I hate about pool. It is easy to get a pool game if you are well liked and respected, and have some class. Your reputation as a gambler is very important and should it get tarnished it will be tougher and tougher to find good action. "Good action" are folks that show you gamble, and treat you respectfully and no BS while the games are in progress. Seems like these kind are far and few between these days, but there are some good examples right here on Azbilliards.

Oh yeah...MAKE EM POST! :thumbup:

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the best way to not have hard feelings? How to find action and ask to play for money? Also, poolroom owner's participation/comfort with money matches? Things to be wary of...?

I would highly doubt there's a poolroom owner out there that doesn't realize there's gambling going on in their place and/or isn't ok with it. As long as you're not running a million dollar long con on someone, I'm sure a little action will be ok. But, to be polite, you should try to get the owner's feelings on the subject.

Second, how to find action:
- "Wanna play?"
- "Wanna play for money?'
- "Wanna gamble?"
- "Want action?"
- "Pardon me, my good sir. Would you care to participate in a contest of skill in pocket billiards for a predetermined amount of currency?"

Third, unless the person is a cry-baby, there shouldn't be any hard feelings when gambling. You're a big boy, you made a bet, if you lose you pay. End of story. To quote Tom Hanks, "There's no crying in baseball!!!"

Finally, be wary of:
- Being hustled. The guy might be better than you.
- Being screwed. If you're winning, get paid. When you initially negotiate the terms of the bet (game, rules, dollar amount, spot, etc.) you should also determine when to "pay-up". After each game/set? At each $XXX dollar amount owed. DO NOT allow the dollar amount owed to run up out of hand cuz you probably won't get paid. If you're playing for decent money, post.
- Being injured. Don't lose more than you have or you may have to "pay" in different ways.

dbldown

Banned
gambling ettiquette

Hard to find good action, so do all you can to maintain it. Show the respect you want to receive by sitting when they shoot, being cordial, not arguing over petty BS. If they roll lucky...best to save nothing. If they complain about you getting the rolls, just say "I got lucky".

If somebody asks you to play, be wary, they might be pretty strong. So what, keep the stakes low and just play your best. If you need a little weight most good players are plenty used to giving it...just ask.

Make sure they payup after every set if anything > say $50. It sucks to have to contemplate murder for a few hunbdred owed.

Be careful. A lot of sore losers, drunks, druggies ect in this game. They will set you up in a heartbeat. If you are out of town, in a new room be extra careful.

If you have a local room play people you know for table time plus a little so nobody gets too hurt. If they want to play for more fine. Just don't let them quit winner or just lose 2 sets all the time. These lock artists never lose too much, but if you get down they will never let you win it back.

EJmagnum186

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first rule to avoid "hard feelings" is to ALWAYS post. Things go sideways fast the second money is involved. The 2nd way is to be honest with yourself, are you really there to make money or are you gambling as a way to sure up your game. If I want to make money I am a little more tolerant of antics.....If I am there to work on my game then I don't want to put up w/ crap. Remember, you have no control over how another person acts only how you react to it. If you want to have good action going forward, handle yourself w/ class and you will be more likely to attract good action....no one wants to be around a dick...trash attracts trash, class attracts class. And don't be put off by someone asking if you want to gamble....the worst you can say is no.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been doing some searching and it's hard to find anything concrete on the subject, people mention it here and there but I feel there a big underground code with unwritten rules about etiquette when playing money games, etc.

This is strictly for curiosity, seeing as a lot of stick situations arise when it comes to gambling, etc.

Some questions that come to mind are... what's the best way to be professional, not have hard feelings? How to find action and ask to play for money? Also, poolroom owner's participation/comfort with money matches? Things to be wary of...?

If there is action in a place it will find you. Get a table , start practicing , shoot a few racks , if there is action in a room your already being sized up.I'm guessing your wanting small action , as a previous poster said , agree to pay up after each game or set . If the say , whats the matter , you don't trust me ? Say no. Nip it in the bud , don't gamble with people trying to score their next high.

Judge a book by its cover until proven otherwise.A good rule in life , not just in a pool room , is to never expose more money then you have to , segregate large from small bills. Maybe you should just get a coke or beer and observe for a while.People who hang out in pool rooms at midday are usually out of work , goof offs or serious gamblers , it won't be long before you know who is who , so it is best to look for small action in the evening.