money making suggestions pls

It's George Old Owner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi all, i might be touring the country some time this yr..was thinking of dropping by most pool halls in different states n gaining some pool experience from u guys..
lodging is the main problem here as i would be in the country for abt half a yr..don't wish to spend a bomb..
any1 here has any legal ideas on how i could make some $ to survive thru my stay in US?pls don't ask me to play pool for $ as i'm not that gd..
any ideas would be greatly appreciated..many thanks :)
also what do pool players usually ask for when i ask for a game?small pot?don't wish to throw my $ away or get ripped off :(

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About the only thing I can think of is to sell some dope(oops thats not legal). I don't know of any way to make money unless you have something to sell or are good at hustling. You could donate plasma but you don't really make much doing that and you get tired for the rest of the day.

The cheapest games around here are races to 5 for $10 in 9-ball and $10 a game one pocket, 5 if you're lucky. There's lotsa people who will just hit balls with you. A tournament is a good way to get some competitive practice. $15 and you can play all night, maybe even win some money.

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most larger cities have Hostels, same as in Europe. Thats probably the cheapest way to see any country. Depending on your faith, some churches may help out. Many cities also have charitable centers where you can get a bunk and food for a day or two.

5-20 dollar games and races are common here in CA. Just about any city will have a spot where you can get at least this kind of action.

Either way good luck. If your in Northern CA, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's George said:
hi all, i might be touring the country some time this yr..was thinking of dropping by most pool halls in different states n gaining some pool experience from u guys..
lodging is the main problem here as i would be in the country for abt half a yr..don't wish to spend a bomb..
any1 here has any legal ideas on how i could make some $ to survive thru my stay in US?pls don't ask me to play pool for $ as i'm not that gd..
also what do pool players usually ask for when i ask for a game?small pot?don't wish to throw my $ away or get ripped off :(
I don't want to be a wise guy or anything but how much do you expect it will cost you for 6 months? I think unless you have someone driving you around, giving you a place to stay and feeding you, it will cost you close to a $100 an day and that would not include extra spending here and there.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Carry around with you a few cue fix-it tools so you can replace tips. Ask the houseman wherever you are if any tips need replaced and make a little drinking money that way. This would give you time in the bars and pool halls to meet people, while bringing in some cash, too.

Or learn to handle a broom. How about, if you're computer savvy, help a room setup/maintain their web site, etc.

Look for real problems and a way to solve them.

Jeff Livingston

Sore_Aintya

Donating money since 1985
Silver Member
If you find yourself near my cornfield, let me know. I have a Futon with your name on it. (well the name actually reads Royal Contour)

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Deadon said:
Most larger cities have Hostels.
Hostel!?!?!? Don't do that! You'll get your toes cut off or a drill bit ran through your knees. Not mention a blow torch to the eye ball.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
It's George said:

To save money, real pool players sleep in their cars or someone else's car.
JoeyA

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Young Men ...

You can stay at the Y - M - C - A .... lol

If you can't play Pool good, it will be tough, and I really can't see you getting by for less that $25 a day, and that's with help for lodging (being a guest of someone), etc..

You better have some skills or experience working in some areas that can help you pick up temporary work sometimes.

Sore_Aintya

Donating money since 1985
Silver Member
Hal said:
Hostel!?!?!? Don't do that! You'll get your toes cut off or a drill bit ran through your knees. Not mention a blow torch to the eye ball.

Yep, Ive seen it!:eek:

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal said:
Hals right,I wondered in a movie theater the other night and they showed it on screen happening to people.Could have been traveling pool players although they looked more physically fit than me and my pool playing friends.M.S.

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whiteoak said:
Hals right,I wondered in a movie theater the other night and they showed it on screen happening to people.Could have been traveling pool players although they looked more physically fit than me and my pool playing friends.M.S.

Not surprising in some places. The one where I live is extremely nice and caters primarily to international travelers. In Europe, most of your sons and daughters stay in them when they get that graduation trip and decide to see the world. But, as in everything else, you have to be careful.

It's George Old Owner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
doubt i'll be permitted to work as i'll be on a tourist visa..was thinking $3k a mth was sufficient but i ain't got that money to spare..what's more 6mths on the run..i'll lose my cues, cases n pants!